Sign in to follow this  
Budda

Dye Changes - Magenta, Yellow And Cyan Now Possible!

Taken from the update thread:

wurm.20121106.1821.jpg

You can now add cochineal, copper and woad to dyes, to change the respective R G or B values only.

This means if you have a red dye, add some copper to it, you'll get orange...add more copper, it'll turn yellow.

Red dye + woad = purple. More woad = magenta. Etc etc.

Image above is approx 90ql yellow, cyan and magenta that's now possible.

• Like 8

That's awesome. Get those alpha masks on and you can cross "Fix the dye system" off the Wurm To-Do list forever.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

wait so you can create a dye, then activate cochineal, add, and it'll raise the R value in the dye? that's amazing lol

Edited by Fireflyb

Can you please also change it so we can combine cochineals and woads. Currently, you can take a large zinc or copper lump you can make large quantities or high QL green or white easily. However, if I want to make say 20kg of red or blue I need to make 20 seperate amounts and combine them, which due to mix fading, will result in it being near impossible to achieve a large amount of near pure red (255,0,0) or blue (0,0,255) .

Alternatively, can you please just remove fading altogether or a straight forward way of reducing RGB values of a dye across the board without resorting to having to make very very high QL black to bring all the values back down.

• Like 1

I've played around a bit with this. Some basics are that you activate the raw ingredient and right click the dye and choose Mix.

[00:33:11] You start to improve the dye.

[00:33:15] You try to improve the dye.

You gain no skills that I can detect from it.

From what I've observed it never fails.

QL number of the dye will not change but the R, G, or B will, provided you made a difference (see next point).

QL of the raw ingredient relative to the dye determines how the mixing will affect the R, G, or B. You can raise or lower it by using higher or lower QL ingredient.

- 69QL cochineal on a 65.44QL red dye changed R from 220 to 222.

- 21QL cochineal on a 46.85QL red dye changed R from 196 to 193.

- 5x 21QL cochineal on a 22.43QL red dye changed R from 176 to 175.

Edited by Cartrip
  • Like 2

Another wurm year and we can open CMYK printinghouses printing full color maps of wurm lands :D

Looks nice - but for the life of me I don't see any yellow on those banners. For my eyes that middle one (which I suppose is meant to be called yellow) looks more like olive-green, maybe mixed with olive-brown.... Can't yellow be real yellow?

(Or am I going colourblind since playing wurm... ) I think these examples are better, but still a bit drab, sombre, too dark hues on it... perhaps we can start using onion to make it a bit more real yellow, or safran?

I do very much like the improvement idea!

Edited by Kianga

Looks nice - but for the life of me I don't see any yellow on those banners. For my eyes that middle one (which I suppose is meant to be called yellow) looks more like olive-green, maybe mixed with olive-brown.... Can't yellow be real yellow?

(Or am I going colourblind since playing wurm... ) I think these examples are better, but still a bit drab, sombre, too dark hues on it... perhaps we can start using onion to make it a bit more real yellow, or safran?

The RGB values are literally yellow. Making it 'more yellow' is really not possible.

Any variation in it causing it to look geen for you will be the base model's colour. We want to have models with masked areas for dyeing them, but that will be in the future. That sort of thing might bring out the clours more clearly.

The RGB values are literally yellow. Making it 'more yellow' is really not possible.

Any variation in it causing it to look geen for you will be the base model's colour. We want to have models with masked areas for dyeing them, but that will be in the future. That sort of thing might bring out the clours more clearly.

How about removing/toning down the base color for items, at least some items? This would also make colors look more crisp and clear. Or having a separate texture with very little color(close to white) that is used instead of the normal texture if dyes are applied to an item.

How about removing/toning down the base color for items, at least some items? This would also make colors look more crisp and clear. Or having a separate texture with very little color(close to white) that is used instead of the normal texture if dyes are applied to an item.

We want to have models with masked areas for dyeing them, but that will be in the future. That sort of thing might bring out the clours more clearly.

I think this is a great feature added for dyes to improve their tones and create more variety in the colors. They way it is done by activating one of the dye making ingredients and targeting the dye to *improve* it is a nice simple mechanic. I am quite pleasantly surprised that it was made this easy to do in contrast to many other features of the game making improving and creating items a time consuming and tedious process. This is a good example of how new features should be added to the game, in my opinion. Well done!

=Ayes=

Now if I could only paint my boat and larger items...

+1 budda nice job =)

Finally a Dye system that even I can comprehend. I never quite figured out our curent/old system. I never got the color I was shooting for.

Thank You Devs.

Edited by Kyrmius

I think it looks a bit dark/off because light isn't hitting the banner directly (the sunlight is coming from behind it).

Now all we need is the ability to farm woad. Its an absolute royal pain in the behind to get.

• Like 3

Ah, thanks Budda, I thought you meant masks in the ordinary texture somehow :)

Now all we need is the ability to farm woad. Its an absolute royal pain in the behind to get.

And let's not forget acorns. Seems silly to have oaks, but only get acorns from botanizing.

• Like 7

I guess I could live with not being able to combine woads if we could farm them. I still cant live with not being able to combine cochineals to large weights.

Finally! Thank you! I have a feeling I'm gonna receive some PM's now.

Edit: To all those who want larger weighted Cochs/woads. You do know having increased weights while attempting to make dye rapidly inceases the differculty?

For example making 90ql white is about 80% chance if its 1kg but if its 5kg its around 40% chance to come at max ql.

Edited by headhunter

Yes, but mixing small amounts of any QL dye, introduces fading. I'd rather have to make multiple attempts for a large weight of high QL, than mix small amounts and add them.

Edited by Asciana

This was done before the dye system update. Now to see if I can improve them. 7 colors of the rainbow.

wurm201211081104.jpg

• Like 1