Sign in to follow this  
TheShawv

Windows 8 And Java

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 this week only to spend 4 hours over 2 days time with Microsoft support to find out that Oracle has not released a version of Java that will run on Windows 8. Do not upgrade to Windows 8 if you want to play Wurm. If anyone has any ideas on when an updated version of Java will be released I would love to know.

Hmm according to these threads, Java has been compatible with Windows 8 but gives a few people difficulties:

http://social.techne...29-4143e55efcb7

http://social.techne...54-1a2e7f226ae5

http://forums.mydigi...s-8-Pro-64-bits <<< (be sure to check 2nd page as they solved the original poster's issues)

Hmm -- THIS THREAD says the probelm may be between the "desktop" version of Windows 8 and the "tablet" version which only runs apps and not Win32 desktop programs like Java... is there any chance you are using the RT tablet version of Win8?

This thread has a microsoft techie saying that Metro UI IE doesn;t support Java but that the normal desktopp version of IE works with it

This guy claims to be running Wurm Online on Windows 8so there must be some way to do it.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I have been using windows 8 RC for 3 months now, and last weekend upgraded to windows 8 pro. Wurm runs just fine, and I develop apps in eclipse with 3 different java versions. However, if you are using 8RT you will not be able to run native windows apps, as RT is only designed to run apps published in the windows marketplace, similar to windows phone.

I have no idea what "flavor" of windows I have, when I downloaded the upgrade they just said Windows 8 pro. How is the general public to know what they have and what it will run and not run? Also the level2 tech guy at Microsoft downloaded Wurm and Java , installed it on his computer and it would not work for him either. He stated that it was a compatability problem that Java programmers need to address. This is all above my paygrade so any info is always welcome, thanks for the responses.

Also the tablet version is said to be a preinstalled version only per a blog on Microsofts website.

Edited by TheShawv

I had a hard drive crash and have a fresh install of Windows 8 ( too bad Best Buy stopped carrying Windows 7 ), I received 2 crash logs with Wurm not working in the window size specified, I let it install windows updates and it works fine now.

I am reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows XP pro, sounds like another Windows Me, Windows Vista, fiasco enuff is enuff I wana play Wurm not mess with it any more.