Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

When Items Go Missing

Item security is tantamount to the success of the Wurm economy, which is why a lot of effort has gone into making sure transactions are safe and that items don't get lost. However, the world has been running for six years now during heavy development. During this period we have had situations such as a few item exploits, database crashes and bugs with ingame mail. Sometimes there are communication glitches just as you change servers. It is very hard to avoid when you run a live beta test development situation and there are plenty of other examples of MMO's that have run into the same problems. This means there will be a few items that are bugged in one way or another.

Luckily these bugged items are far between. Most of you will never see one. In some cases it's been the matter of a drake armour or scale set, which has substantial value. We will take time to look into the matter and try to locate it for you. In some cases we will be able to and in other we won't. We have a "no reimbursements" policy and the reason is that bugs are expected in software development and we are afraid of ending up in endless administration. Sorting out these cases can take a lot of valuable development time which would benefit the rest of the players so we often have to be picky and only work on the ones where substantial loss has occurred. We will however often reimburse you anyways because even small loss derives from the fun.

If you are certain that you have lost an item due to a bug, please first contact the GM's using /support with the following information:
Item name, qualitylevel, damage, description, creator, enchants, etc. As much info as you can.
Information about where the item was last seen and the events leading up to the disappearance such as who you retrieved it from and whether it was mailed etc.
Account name, servers involved.
Estimated value in Wurm coins.

Edited by Vayu
Removed notes about emailing contact
  • Like 7

Nice to see the issue is being addressed and steps are being taken to resolve the problems :)

Have to say, I lost a fairly expensive coin in the mail before and it was replaced within 48hrs. You might wait forever on a GM but Rolf's pretty good when it comes to this.

• Like 5

This post is regarding big impact situations like the recent update where creatures escaped pens and the independence server was rolled back.

First of all, you must be aware that we are a small company with only developers employed. All our Game Masters are currently volunteers and just players like yourself. They have gained trust in the community and have certain powers. Only a few of them may create items though, because monitoring people is time consuming, not fun and if we give all of them the power of item creation there would be widespread suspicion in an economy such as Wurms. So we are only a handful who may do that.

Hunting down creatures is time consuming and GM's have no way of finding them using name.

This means that when these events happen on a big scale, we simply can't fairly handle all requests and put things back as they were. This recent rollback situation, I got a lot of requests for lost items and creatures. But that's from those who even bothered to email me. Everyone lost 8 hours of work that rollback and probably lots of items as well.

The way we're currently handling it is putting lost accounts back to where they were, adding lost premium and silver coins purchased in the shop, and also substantial amount of coins or item value lost verified in trade.

We/I simply can't go about replacing all items or successful casts lost on a whole server. I would have to locate you or catch you when you're online and then hope that your demand is fair. Not only does it take (days or weeks away) from development time but also it makes for widespread suspicion of unfairness and nepotism from other players.

As the original post states, we'll try to help out as good as we can. We just are often very limited in time and possibility to do so.

All we can do is hope that you understand that we do our best to avoid these situations. They occur because we try to make the game better. We will improve our test and release procedures in the future.

For these sort of serverwide situations, please don't expect reimbursements unless you have lost premium time, your logon possibility, coins or bank money, or a few valuable items with a submitted verifyable value.

Thanks,

Rolf

xD If anything i'd prefer the attention to go to the Memory Leak issue than the lost items myself all i lost was some crops nothing i cant grow back. Though the silver should take priority for those who had lost it.

It's great that you are trying to help with these things. :-)

I mailed an item and was sure I had copied and pasted the username. I mailed 2 other items at the same time and copied the names from a forum post after I had asked for their character names. So not sure why I wouldn't have done so for the other mail.

The buyer never received the item and as there are no logs, I can't see who I sent it to so i can confirm if it was an error on my part or a bug.

Support said it's basically lost. If this was a bug then I have lost the item through no fault of my own. If I entered the wrong name then I have made a mistake and lost the item with no chance of recovery.

Edited by yetian

It's great that you are trying to help with these things. :-)

I mailed an item and was sure I had copied and pasted the username. I mailed 2 other items at the same time and copied the names from a forum post after I had asked for their character names. So not sure why I wouldn't have done so for the other mail.

The buyer never received the item and as there are no logs, I can't see who I sent it to so i can confirm if it was an error on my part or a bug.

Support said it's basically lost. If this was a bug then I have lost the item through no fault of my own. If I entered the wrong name then I have made a mistake and lost the item with no chance of recovery.

As far as I know, if the item is not picked up by the person you send it to, it will be returned to you a week later.  I guess if you put the wrong spelling of a name in the box, it won't be picked up as the player does not exist (as you put the wrong spelling of the name in) and the item should be returned to you.