Sign in to follow this  
darthryan

Skill Grind Spoilers!

For leatherworking, last I checked, you could improve items with leather of lower ql. If this is still the case, once you're past 20ish skill, use fairly low ql leather to improve gloves. This works decently until 60 skill, after this, toolbelts are good skill gain, and are sellable, but they eat leather.

I'll give you a nice tip for taming

get as much stew as you can and then do this :

create a pottery flask, and then fill it with vegetables and edible items

6x sage

2x wheat

5x oregano

1x onion

(whatever works but I can confirm that these edibles makes you use extremely little stew)

then when you have both the stew and the pottery flask with the edible items, grab the stew and move it over to the pottery flask, you will see that you will only be using 0,00kg of stew each time you tame.

However it uses a tiny amount of stew so as much stew as possible is recommended.

With this method you do not need tons of seeds and meat to reach high taming levels.

Use a reed pen, and dishwater on a pig.

If you don't have pigs, yeah, stew works for carnivorous animals.

Using a reed pen works with stew also..

Yeah, was implied on my second phrase, should have been a bit more explicit, i guess.

Nice guides! I learned a whole bunch of techniques from the Taming guide, cheers!

My way of grinding channeling after 40:

I have two satchels: in first satchel I am storing gems ql 10>, in the second gems ql <10.

1. Prepare max favor

2. Activate sleep bonus

3. Vessel as many low ql gems as you can.

4. When you run out of favor, wait until you have about 7,50 favor and enchant high ql gem as fast as you can.

5. Repeat until all high ql gems are vesseled.

6. Drain favor from high ql gems, starting with lowest ql gems, make this until you have full or almost full favor.

7. Put ql <10 gems from high ql gems satchel to low ql gems satchel.

8. Repeat from point 3 until you have low ql gems.

Alternatively, if you don't have low ql gems you can cast enchants instead. This method guarantees very good skillgain and long lifetime of your gems at the same time (so you can grind channeling even more).

CARPENTRY 60+

1. The wiki outlines this in the carpentry guide section, however I feel posting this here will double it's benefit to players.
  2. From 40-50, building houses gives good skill gain.  Most players who build anything will usually hit 50 carpentry this way, just by playing casually and not grinding.  Pretty easy stuff here.
  3. From 50-60 building houses drops off significantly in skill gain.  This would be the time to use the imping trick for most other skills. Start by making about 10 mallets or fishing rods, or both.  Imp them up as high as you can get them (if you want to be really clever about it watch your skill ticks for the 'sweet spot', that is to say the ql range of the item that gives you the most skill when imping), and then place them in a heated forge to decay them.  Make sure to watch your forge contents carefully.  As the mallets and fishing rods heat up to glowing with heat, they'll start to lose ql very quickly.  You can decay them down to 2 or 3 ql and start all over, or if you found the sweet spot you can decay them down to the ql range of the sweet spot.  This is still pretty easy stuff, but of course takes a bit of time and patience and is the point where you'd actually purposefully grind your carpentry skill up unless you're already making wooden tools to sell.
  4. 60-70 and beyondAfter 60 skill, and even more-so after 70 skill, the best way to grind your carpentry skill is to work on the sub-skills.  These skills include:  Fine Carpentry, Ship Building, Bowyery, Fletching and Toy Making.  The benefit of this situation is that you get to grind up 2 skills at once.  It is of course fairly slow going, especially if you've never bothered leveling the sub-skills up much to begin with, however that is to be expected as you climb higher into a skill.  The real secret here, if you're out to grind it up as fast or as best you can, is to grind your Fine Carpentry While the other sub-skills do benefit your carpentry fairly, Fine Carpentry is where the largest chunks of skill gain occur.  Tested with the other sub-skills, at 70 Carpentry and 50 Carpentry in the sub-skills, all of the other sub-skills netted around .09 skill gain in Carpentry, per level gained in the sub-skill.  Fine Carpentry is the exception to this, netting around .15 skill gain in Carpentry per level increased in Fine Carpentry.  Of course the higher levels you get in the sub-skills and in the parent skill, the larger the percentage netting will be per level, so it just keeps getting better and better.

This is all I have at the moment for Carpentry skill grinding tips.  If any higher skilled players in this realm have more to add please do tell, however I think this information is pretty standard and solid.  Enjoy!

Just my two penneth but I found the most efficient way to raise Carp to high levels is to improve arrows and oars, cycling them through a BSB so that they need only your favoured tool to improve.  That way you aren't capped by Woodcutting, don't need to swap tools, and can use only a tool that you like (e.g. one that gives your favourite flavour of characteristic gains for example)

Any other method end up being slower to get high skill unless you already happen to have crazy high WC.  Of course raising the other subskills to the level of your WC is also useful.

• Like 1

Just my two penneth but I found the most efficient way to raise Carp to high levels is to improve arrows and oars, cycling them through a BSB so that they need only your favoured tool to improve.  That way you aren't capped by Woodcutting, don't need to swap tools, and can use only a tool that you like (e.g. one that gives your favourite flavour of characteristic gains for example)

Any other method end up being slower to get high skill unless you already happen to have crazy high WC.  Of course raising the other subskills to the level of your WC is also useful.

What you just said is working on the sub-skills is the most efficient way to raise carpentry in the higher levels. lol  Which is what the post above mentions.

What you just said is working on the sub-skills is the most efficient way to raise carpentry in the higher levels. lol  Which is what the post above mentions.

No what he was pointing out was a way to use the sub-skill that wouldn't involve woodcutting.  Basically using BSB to reset the tool type used to imp which works on arrows (archery) and oars (shipbuilding) with the added benefit that you can use a carving knife with high CoC which gives even more BC.

No what he was pointing out was a way to use the sub-skill that wouldn't involve woodcutting.  Basically using BSB to reset the tool type used to imp which works on arrows (archery) and oars (shipbuilding) with the added benefit that you can use a carving knife with high CoC which gives even more BC.

Doesn't take much woodcutting.

To each their own I guess.  I prefer not to dump to a BSB every 4 imping actions just to avoid using a log. lol  Doesn't change the fact that grinding Fine Carpentry gives the most skill-gain to Carpentry in the higher levels.

Edited by Slickshot

Due to changes with decay for decorations on deed, this method is no longer as viable.

If anyone is interested in grinding gardening, I found that making a bunch of flowerpot and planting flowers in them is a great way to get it up. 

Make sure the flowerpots are between 10-20QL, the QL of the pot determines the amount of "damage" it takes per tick, having anything lower than 10QL outside a building will kill the flower within 48 hours(if not tended). 

I have a bunch around my deed, some inside, some outside. The outside pots roughly take around 10-20dmg on the first 24hrs, 35-45 dmg at 48hrs. So I usually water them every two-three days whilst constantly checking damage. The pots that are inside buildings are of much lower QL, but they rarely take damage, though if a 1QL pot inside a house was to take damage, 1 tick will equal roughly 92dmg. 

Gist;
- Having around 20 planted flowerpots outside buildings, at the range of 10-20QL
- Watering them every 48 hours, though make sure the check damage within the first 24hrs.

(note: currently no command for "Water_Plant", so right clicking like the good old days:P) 

why gardening? Lib likes the purple flowers :/

EDIT: As of sometime between 1st May 2014 - 10th May 2014. Damage that flowerpots take has been reduce. No documentation was made as far as I know. Instead of taking 35 - 45 damage/p 48hrs. I've only been seeing at most 10 damage per 48hrs.

Edited by boombza
  • Like 2

Doesn't take much woodcutting.

To each their own I guess.  I prefer not to dump to a BSB every 4 imping actions just to avoid using a log. lol  Doesn't change the fact that grinding Fine Carpentry gives the most skill-gain to Carpentry in the higher levels.

Carving Knife on Arrows gives more BC gain than any other item on carp item action for any subskill.

Good reason to do it.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 2

Carving Knife on Arrows gives more BC gain than any other item on carp item action for any subskill.

Good reason to do it.

Berris never mentioned BC.  The person commenting about Berris' post mentioned BC.  lol  Berris was commenting on the guide for Carpentry.  The Carpentry guide has nothing to do with grinding Body Control.  The Carpentry guide only lists the best way to gain Carpentry skill.  A Body Control guide should be made if it's important enough.

Edited by Slickshot

The method for skilling repairing by damaging tackles in a fire doesn't work anymore. The tackle decreases in quality when burning.

Does anyone have a similar method that doesn't involve waiting for decay?

The method for skilling repairing by damaging tackles in a fire doesn't work anymore. The tackle decreases in quality when burning.

I'm not sure about NOT waiting for decay, however I do know an object that I have to repair quite often due to the amount of damage it takes over a short period of time (like 2 weeks).  In my workshop I have 4 forges outside in a semi circle.  Since they are outside they take massive damage ticks it seems.  About once a month I check on them and repair them from 50ish damage to 0 damage.  Maybe this will help you in the mean time.  Make some forges or ovens outside your house or any other buildings but don't go too crazy (no need to litter the environment with trash) and let them rot for a while, while you do other stuffs.  Good luck!

Edited by Slickshot

Going to try and keep this up to date again. Just yell at me if something's off, or want something added.

• Like 1

since most animal bits can be combined (and put in bsb too) nowadays you can use CoC'd bits for natural substances grinds and just fill up with more when the item runs to low weight.

Here is a tips from a Master Platesmith:

We all know that for the avarage platesmith u end up with 95% bad ql steel lumps and only 5% good through metallurgy.

Use a high ql 70+ Smelting Pot to smelt down 10 plate items a time u imp'ed to max ql

This way u transform ur low ql steel into high ql steel lumps.

Since imping a item only uses 5% of the item weight as lump cost, and between the lump clicks u improve with other, whetstones, pelt, water, hammer.

And the return for smelting it is u gain 90% of the weight back as a new lump.

Its effcient all the way up to smelting down 79ql items to get a 79ql steel lump back, but beyond this point u should sell the 80+ plate items.

since most animal bits can be combined (and put in bsb too) nowadays you can use CoC'd bits for natural substances grinds and just fill up with more when the item runs to low weight.

What're you using? I tried a few different bits with coc and got no increased skillgain.

no coc on tooth and gland
[18:41:50] Natural substances increased by 0,0469 to 30,047

coc on tooth, none on gland
[18:42:39] Natural substances increased by 0,0954 to 30,142

coc on gland, none on tooth
[18:43:05] Natural substances increased by 0,0950 to 30,237

and i could see again that coc does not affect characteristics gain ;)

• Like 1

and i could see again that coc does not affect characteristics gain ;)

Indeed, coc and botd don't affect stats, sleep bonus does tho :)

At one point i made a few chain jackets to about 70ql and cast sunder on them each four times that gives some sweet repair timers then you can hit sb and go afk for like 30+ mins, just the other day i was catapulting 70ql meditation rugs twice each and then doing the same - turning on sb and going afk (4-5 mins per rug) then you can cata them again and repair and so on.

Any tips on Jewelry crafting?  Silver is hard to come by, so it would be nice to improve with iron, and craft bowls, balls, and such.   What skill should stop making bowls and balls?

Edited by Onyr