Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Monday Update

During the update today we ran into some issues when converting the database to handle multi storey buildings. Gate locks and locks to buildings went missing for a short period but we sorted the problem quickly and everything is back to normal.

• No-drop items such as writs, settlement forms etc. should no longer be lost on server transfer.
  • Fireplaces are now properly impacted by quality level. It has been bugged for a long time
  • Street lamps on deed no longer requires oil. Instead, any spirit guards will use oil barrels to fill street lamps up to 50 tiles from deed.
  • Double house door sound has been removed.
  • Horde of the Summoned recruits will now have Libila as their faith.
  • Non-premiums should now be able to transfer via epic portal between Celebration and Affliction.
  • The faith bonus provided by altars should now work better and bugs there have been fixed.
  • Wind of Ages has been tweaked to deal with some issues it has had at high casts.
  • The bug where walls could go missing was fixed.
  • You no longer get a large reputation hit from lockpicking an enemy house on home servers.
  • Small wine barrels are now correctly named.
  • Temporary Fix: Animals can no longer pass arched walls. This will be reverted once the bug with arched walls allowing any animals through regardless of door type is fixed.

View the full article

• Like 3

Promising updates. Keep up the good work Rolf and the rest of the staff! :)

Promising updates. Keep up the good work Rolf and the rest of the staff! :)

Rolf, I understand why you changed Street Lamps due to all the complaints from the community. However, I would like to suggest that you revert on-deed lamps to requiring they be filled from the oil barrels. It's a nice "maintenance" feature to know that you need to go get some olives and fill the barrel to ensure the lamps stay lit. How cool is that? It's not a burden and I don't think the barrel/oil feature was the issue anyway. It's a great addition to the game and I think most people love them and want them. But now, we don't need them because they only work for lamps off-deed which many don't care about anyway. That is so the wrong way to handle this, in my opinion.

The uproar was not the feature, it was how you sold it. You dropped the feature on us with no explanation, no comments, and no forewarning. We get a great feature, and oh, by the way, its going to require a spirit templar to work - yep, another silver a month!!! That's how it was received and that's why so many complained. But it did not have to be that way.

Many times, it's not the product, but the way the product is marketed: What if you had done this:

(example)

For a while I have wanted to add a system to deeds that would simulate the need to supply fuel to lamps without having the players be forced to fill and light each and every deed lamp. We have a patch in place that has just kept them lit, but that was just a temporary measure while we thought on what would make the requirement fun and realistic. So we have come up with a new feature, oil barrels, which may be filled with olive oil and used to keep lamps on deed lit. I would like to know if the community would rather manually fill the lamps on deed with the oil, or would having a templar be responsible for fueling the lamps be an acceptable idea? Of course, that would mean a templar would be required in order to keep the lamps lit, but since they already have so little to do, it might make them happy if we gave them another task. I would like to know if the players would be willing to accept this requirement in order to carry the simulation a little further along? Or, would you rather we introduce oil barrels to the game as a special container and require the players to fill the lamps manually?

Look what I just did, Rolf. I gave the players a choice - oil barrel with spirit templars filling lamps automatically, or oil barrel with manual filling. What do you think the average Wurmian would want, especially those with 50 lamps on deed? There would not have been such a backlash of resentment at the feature if this approach had been taken. I think most would have agreed that a templar was worth the feature. Of course, you never will make everyone happy, but I honestly do not think it would have been as bad had you used a little diplomacy.

Rolf, don't nerf the barrels just because people don't like the requirement. I did not like having to add a spirit templar to my deed. But I did. And now, the very reason he was added has been negated. The only lamps I want filled are on my deed. I am not going to fill my barrel to light someone else's lamps.

Please change your mind about this.

Edited by Eyesgood

Not sure if trolling, Eyesgood. It seems like EVERY change that comes out, you want it reversed?

Thanks for the update, however i am still missing a couple no drop items from a few weeks ago.

Well I for one have enjoyed ALL the updates that have come so far ... yes there is always a glitch, but from where I stand the impact has been minor. If you are bored and intending to Troll Eyesgood then give it a rest.

A huge Thumbs up for Rolf and his work.

A huge thumbs down for Eyesgood and his negativity.

Play the game not the forum Troll.

• Like 1

Thank you Rolf, you exceeded expectations and made lamps go back, and still kept oil barrel function!! I think you surprised everyone in a good way!

• Like 3

A good set of updates. I'm glad to see aswell a higher degree of communication during this which I find both encouraging and pleasing! I don't think anyone here expects every update to go smoothly but keeping everyone in the loop just makes keeps everyone that much happier about it :)

Well done Rolf.

Edited by Emoo

Why is it that when someone disagrees, he must be a troll? Rolf himself just encouraged expression of different views and a greater variety of input. That is not going to happen if people get accused of being a troll every time they speak up with a different perspective. Not everyone likes the drama.

Oil barrel with spirit templars filling lamps automatically, or oil barrel with manual filling.

Could also have made a smaller reversion to offer Oil Barrel filling automatically without the need for a templar. I think that might have, perhaps, been enough to appease a fair portion of people without the need for such a large and arguably more drastic change.

I'm thankful I stuck with tar, as I think I'd be a bit put out now to learn that an effort to adapt will pretty much mean I'd only be filling up other people's lights 50 tiles off my own deed. Perhaps that was the point though -->

If you like a change that is made, or you feel the repeated complaints of certain people is going to bring things in a wrong direction... it's very necessary to speak up and shrug off the drama otherwise you will be summarily screwed when the change is reverted. It's a tough lesson I think.

In any case, onwards and upwards and yes indeed, lots of encouraging good words for the devs' continued efforts.

• Street lamps on deed no longer requires oil. Instead, any spirit guards will use oil barrels to fill street lamps up to 50 tiles from deed.

Yay!

Guys if you would check Test server then you would see that this lock bug also happened there...

So why aren't you checking Test first before you give it on the live servers?

But well the rest is really good and fast work. Thank You!

Edited by Sklo:D

Thanks, Rolf! These are useful changes.

+1

Guys if you would check Test server then you would see that this lock bug also happened there...

So why aren't you checking Test first before you give it on the live servers?

But well the rest is really good and fast work. Thank You!

Small correction Sklo: Rolf did ask for testing on irc, I happened to be there when he did.

However, the check on test was done in a hurry and was obviously incomplete. Probably the one checking just happened to only look at north/south gates and doors...

So lesson would be: check a bit better on test before putting something live. Possibly let more people check, in different settings, on test first.

Edited by Kianga

So spirit 'guards' and spirit 'templars' are the same thing? These aren't the 'guards' that prevent decay on a fully-funded deed, correct?

So spirit 'guards' and spirit 'templars' are the same thing? These aren't the 'guards' that prevent decay on a fully-funded deed, correct?

A spirit templar is just a specific type of spirit guard. Though most prevelent as all WL kingdoms have that as the only guard type now.

• Like 1

A spirit templar is just a specific type of spirit guard. Though most prevelent as all WL kingdoms have that as the only guard type now.

As someone who has only played on freedom, I have learned something today, thanks, Dipse!

Is it really necessary to check all locks and replace them ourselves?

Yeah, the main issue with the lamps for me wasn't that you needed to gather olive oil and put it in a barrel, but that you needed a guard for this while no other deed related feature really needs one (wall maintenance, your stuff being protected from other players, deed rules being enforced, etc etc). Most people probably wouldn't have minded the oil requirement at all if that templar wasn't required for it to function.

I wouldn't mind either way if the oil requirement comes back or stays out, as long as the templar requirement never comes back with it. Olive oil is easy enough to get after all. Though honestly I didn't feel that it added anything to the game, it was just a pure maintenance feature. Make olive oil and put it in a barrel, yay, fun... Now that it's gone I'm certainly not going to miss it, after half a year I'll probably even have forgotten all about it because it was that uninteresting.

Olive oil could get a much better role with cooking if that's ever revamped.

Eyesgood, just let it go. The majority got what they wanted, and you want to start the arguments all over again. Sorry you are stuck with an olive barrel, but you chose to build it. Many of us refused to 'fall in line' and did anything but build that barrel, because we knew it could get reverted and make the barrel useless. If you want to use it you should go ahead and put some lamps offdeed to light the path to your home,as that is the only use it has now.

• Like 1

It's a nice "maintenance" feature to know that you need to go get some olives and fill the barrel to ensure the lamps stay lit. How cool is that? It's not a burden and I don't think the barrel/oil feature was the issue anyway. It's a great addition to the game and I think most people love them and want them.

I found it an amazingly stupid idea, 1 more chore that had to be done before i could play. A thing i though i paid to have done for me via deed upkeep.

Personally and since i don't want to talk for most people :), I think it's a good thing if lamps have been reverted to always on on deed, Since I don't want to waste time doing point less maintenance.

Edited by Kuro
  • Like 1

If you disagree with this or that, but if you disagree with what 'seems like EVERY post' the developer (singular) puts out there .... then yes you ARE a forum troll.

I hate the form TROLL, and at the end of the day it comes down to a person who has so little going on in their personal life that they feel the need to act like a child online where you can be or not be anything you like. It reminds me of a child in the back seat of the car asking "Are we there yet?".

Yes to appease your TROLL status, I do find it irritating, but any three year old has the ability to be irritating. What stuns me is you find this gives you some kind of status. If you intend to be constructive, then be so, what i plainly see (and others) is that he intends to beat down the man (singular) that created and works on the game you enjoy playing. Like or not what he does, like his game then give positive feedback, or see the game gone for good. I like this game and enjoy playing it, so if I was not happy about something then at least it would be balanced. Shout at Rolf EVERY time he posts and then see his game gone for good.

So online Trolls sod off being a child, and leave my man Rolf alone for I enjoy this game and because he makes a spelling mistake, or some form of grammer mistake .... I will not sit by while you give him a hard time and end up seeing the end of a game that I really enjoy playing.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this