Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Wurm 1.0 Internal Deadline Set

Will there be a stat wipe when 1.0 comes out?

Rolf said multiple times that there will be NO resets.

Rolf said multiple times that there will be NO resets.

Which is good. Tbh, 75% of people would quit if there was a stat reset. Just my opinion.

Making money off a game isn't something I find very amusing. People can have their own endgames, but saying that Wurm actually has one is a downright lie. I have no respect for people that want to make a buck off of everything. Hence why I usually give my friends/villagers anything they request from me.

Look at Wild, 5 years with barely a pulse in the past year? .. Even as Wild there was no endgame, now its Chaos and "a part" of the ultimate never ending sandbox of Freedom.....

The fact that this is a sandbox withdraws any "guidance" within the game, hence, no set goals, and thus no "end-game". Wurm isn't a traditional MMORPG. And as such it has no end-game, players are totally free to set their goals. Some people make money, others make vilages, others make boats, or try to unlock, and max all skills. Some go for PvP, others for PvE. Some will breed animals, some will hunt animals. Its all up to the player, and if you find this distressing, well that your problem, and Wurm is not your game truly.

• Like 1

The fact that this is a sandbox withdraws any "guidance" within the game, hence, no set goals, and thus no "end-game". Wurm isn't a traditional MMORPG. And as such it has no end-game, players are totally free to set their goals. Some people make money, others make vilages, others make boats, or try to unlock, and max all skills. Some go for PvP, others for PvE. Some will breed animals, some will hunt animals. Its all up to the player, and if you find this distressing, well that your problem, and Wurm is not your game truly.

On Freedom, where its the unlimited sandbox of going no where, I agree, its whatever you really wanna do.

On Epic, there is a greater sense of accomplishment with kingdom wars, religious battles, and missions. It feels like an endgame, but we're kept in the dark about what would really happen if the Wurm wins. I consider Epic more of the "real" version of Wurm Online since it has no restrictions on anything and follows the very tiny lore. ( No disrespect to Freedomers, just my opinion). I know PvP isn't for everyone but thats what the homeservers are for, to support your allies and kingdom mates into glory.

I don't know, I'm just so against the idea of no guidance. But I don't want to be forced to do something I don't want. Hence why I live on JKH :)

I wish you the best in meeting your deadline,

But there is never enough content in a game that is never finished.

BR

Vean

aka Led

aka Deleo

I wish you the best in meeting your deadline,

But there is never enough content in a game that is never finished.

BR

Vean

aka Led

aka Deleo

This. I know you are busy but this cant go on forever. You need to do other things aswell. Or hire more people...

I think you are misunderstanding.

A sandbox game can never be finished. There are always more things to add. Hiring 5 billion people won't change that.

No MMO is ever finished, look at WoW. There's always something to add.

No reason to nitpick upon the term "finished". May I remind you that wurm still has some really ugly elements (e.g. avatars, standing riders) that look pretty much "early beta" to me and urgently need some love IMO. Better yesterday than tomorrow.

• Like 1

No reason to nitpick upon the term "finished". May I remind you that wurm still has some really ugly elements (e.g. avatars, standing riders) that look pretty much "early beta" to me and urgently need some love IMO. Better yesterday than tomorrow.

Well that's the point, of coursethere's more features to add, but the features currently in-game aren't even finished. That is, the core features of the game.

• Like 1

Well that's the point, of coursethere's more features to add, but the features currently in-game aren't even finished. That is, the core features of the game.

I respectfully disagree...

I understand what you mean, but i do belive the core of the game is up and running, doing well and recommended... Otherwise, we wouldn't be playing.

What's missing is all the visual goodness, i mean Riding works, albeit the riders standing. What is missing is the visual component, that most wurmians have learned to leave by, and is also something that as of late has been reworked extensively.

The only true core features that are missing, and will never be fully implemented is "true 3d-ness", part of which involves multi-story houses, bridges and caves (which is the part i doubt will be implemented, but thats part of how wurm works, and we have to keep those mag priests busy fixing dropshafts).

Other core features could use some reworking, like fighting and pvp systems. But this is more of a "post-launch balance patch" than a actual feature missing.

So summing up what i want to say is that wurm is already a pretty darn good game, which is missing a big dose of polish, but calling it "unfinished", is a misnomer. Like many pointed out, most online games are never finished, and are meant to be so that the players never finish them either. Many games fail at that part, which is why the concept of end-game was brought in to keep people busy while a new iteration comes out with further content. The way wurm is made avoids this because its made so you never truly run out of stuff to do, because essentially you get to do what you want.

Also i get nausea whenever i see Rolf, or anyone in the community calling the current iteration "beta" and that game will only be really launched and ready with 1.0. Thats, of course just rhetoric, the game is being commercialized for years already, if it was released as a commercial version, it isn't truly a beta. I do understand the concept of what Rolf wants to tell us, but from the moment a company is charging people for their product, they can't really be claiming its a beta in my view of things at least.

Now 1.0 as i see it is the next big expansion. Like the Burning Crusade for wow, or whatever other expansion you think was good... Never really cared much for wow, so sorry if i say something out of order. Hopefully we'll see more.

Maybe even a new version of Wurm, with a more solid engine, not coded in java, and such, who knows.

What i know is i already have 1 year upkeep payed on my deeds, so i plan to stick around for a while xp.

I have to disagree here, The core features are not finished, they are barely working.

Crafting works for the most part, but it is still riddled with bugs and weird.

Graphics aren't done by a long shot, with all the missing models and animations.

Both Fighting and PvP don't quite hold up to testing.

And Building is just getting done.

And that is the very definition of a Beta: a program where things are mostly working, but are not fully tested or fully fixed. That Rolf charges for Beta testing, doesn't change the fact that it is a beta. It's a business strategy that is afaik pretty much unique to Rolf and Notch.

Edited by Keldun

I'm not sure what bugs you're talking about in crafting, but ok.

The visual component is being worked on, i'll grant you that, but thats mostly because well, the game was released 6 years ago... When current models were kinda good.

You seem to forget the core of this game is older than about 10% of the world's population. Which is why many of its features seem unfinished and outdated, although at the time they were pretty nifty. Which is why Wurm needs a new "expansion" and some polish, that perhaps wasn't deemed necessary at the time.

I think the bugs are hidden inside that god awful UI. Maybe that's why it's so awful. So we won't find the bugs. Wait a minute...

I'm not sure what bugs you're talking about in crafting,

Some things are useless and do nothing example:pliers.

Crafting menus are a mess.

Unfinished hammers needing hammer to finish etc...

The creation % are not really accurate

You get less % chance creation with drake using a 100ql needle than you do with a 90ql

Coc water doesnt do anything in smithing but it does in tailoring.

Some items using up more lump than they need on creation. For example i can create an item with a 0.10kg lump and a 1kg lump. However the whole 1kg lump gets used up. Same goes for imping with some items.

Some items still use up some materials on failure making that material useless. Example you fail with a campfire it uses up some of your kindling making the kindling useless, because its not enough to create a campfire anymore.

Want me to go on?

Edited by atazs

I have to say, I (unfortunately) use Intel graphics, I hope I will still be able to play after 1.0, and even now, I get constant 2 FPS while moving and mounted. I think if there is anything that can be done to make it easier to run with low end computers, it should be done before people join the game in large numbers. I have been able to run other games and even Wurm inside a cave with 30+ FPS, but I just don't want to lose the ability to play when 1.0 comes out...

The amount of memory Wurm uses on low settings has tripled in the past 6 months for me lol. And that is on stable! Unstable functions like high quality settings on stable.

Edited by Wiro

I tend to find unstable works more smoothly than stable...

• Like 2

I tend to find unstable works more smoothly than stable...

Far better, in every situation.

Sign in to follow this