Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Pick Up All Furniture And Plant To Anchor.

With multistory coming soon, I think we need an easier way to move furniture around. It may not be most realistic thing to move some furniture around, say a forge, but it will greatly increase our ability to customize our deeds. Now that we have rare furniture there is more demand to sell a furniture item.

For the most part this should work very similar to bulk bins. The idea here is to let you pick up anything and to put mechanics in place which prevent an item's use while its not on the ground.

1. Container furniture must be empty to pick it up and you can't put stuff inside it while its not on the ground.

2. Plant it in the ground to anchor is in place. One can drop it if they don't care about securing it.

a. Village mayor can pickup anything on deed regardless who planted it.

b. Can house owners pick up a lamp post planted by another inside their house?

c. With exception to mayor on deed, and maybe house owners, only the person who planted an item can pick it up.

3. Altars stop creating area influence and priests(or anyone else) can't use the altar for anything when its not on the ground.

a. There are issues with dropping blessed altars in enemy territory Although you could drop an unblessed metal and bless it all the same. To maintain current mechanics, only metal altars can be dropped within the influence of another god. Doing so will remove the altars blessing. Their should be a warning confirmation box which is mainly for folks redesigning their deed.

b. Their should be a long delay before the influence spreads so we can drop multiple different altars when redesigning I'd guess that is also beneficial for pvp.

4. This should apply to large magic chests. You can pick them up if they are empty and can't put things inside unless its on the ground.

5. Tools like looms can only be used when on the ground.

6. No cool down for planting furniture items. Signs would stay the same.

7. Guard towers and colossus would need to be excluded.

8. Forges become unlit and cool when picked up, or require they be unlit and cool to pick up.

Edited by joedobo
  • Like 7

Not being able to pick up a chair or stool is really silly in the first place.

Not being able to pick up a chair or stool is really silly in the first place.

Except you can pick up both...

Chairs and stools have been pickupable for at least the past six months when I was stealing them from abandoned homes lol.

Bump

My friend built a few market stalls and some of them didn't finish on the right tile. Also, not being able to move a market stall is annoying for a deed owner. I understand why strangers shouldn't be able to do it.

This suggestion would solve our problem and give all a market deeds everywhere more flexibility.

Yes please! If I can pick up an empty BSB why can't I pick up an large chest or large barrel? Sure, make them bulky and heavy so that it's hard work, but at least make it possible!

maby make so you will carry lage objekts in your hands and wille you carry them you CANT do anything untill you have put it down

I have a 42 body strength, I should be able to pick up a forge and lug it about.

(Maybe make so you must carry a lager object in your hands and while carrying it you CAN'T do anything else.)

It seems redundant to do this and require that the item be on the ground.

This might replace the need for an object to be on the ground before it can be used. Although, I'm concerned about weird situations where one player holds the furniture item and another (alt) is using it. It makes more sense to put limitation in place that try to reproduce the mechanics we currently use.

bump .... If this worked we could move altars wherever desired.

A better/more accurate "move" feature would be good too. When you click on "move" it attaches a ghost of the object to your cursor... you move it to exactly the place you want, and click. A timer is calculated based on the distance to the place (perhaps max it at 1 to 2 tiles), and then you wait the timer similar to pushing. This way it can all be done in one, and you can get far more accurate placement as at current it can be difficult to center things with the pushing as it is.

This could also be used to place items on top of things (limit to a size of the item), by using a scroll wheel or something to raise/lower the height. This would be more complex as you would need collision calculations/height calculations and detection of the table/whatever you are putting it on to make sure you arent raising something to midair.

edit: I also +1 the OP's suggestions

Edited by Nuingaer

+1. If I can carry the materials to make it, I should be able to pick it up if it is not planted.

Just thought of this... we'll have to be able to pick up items like chests, etc. Unless we can push items up stairs.

Good point, that would suck if you had you're supplies a few floors down, make a forge and have to move it up 3 floors :P

And since a lot of Wurm is actually the what you would have to do in real life, like how you make a fire or hammer and such, it wouldn't make sense to be pushing a forge up the stairs, which wouldn't even be possible to begin with. The problem of placing maybe large chests into a coffin maybe? Like when you put barrels or small chests into a coffin would be an issue that would need to be addressed, can't put a forge in a large cart lol

....can't put a forge in a large cart lol

Objects have to be empty to be picked up. And these same objects have to be on the ground to be used again. Being inside a container is not on the ground even if that container itself is on the ground. You can observer a "on the ground" like mechanic when you try to finish an unfinished large anvil inside a forge (super annoying btw).

All of those weird container in container tricks rely on the fact that an unfinished item only consume 1 L of volume. Once such a container is finished it usually appears inside the container where it was finished regardless of the parent container's volume. I think most if not all of these have been fixed. I wish they would just let us make larger volume containers. Assuming I put forth the effort and materials to create, what's it going to hurt if my forge is 20 times larger inside?

bump because I saw another thread recently that this suggestion addresses.

+1 to this. However, forges shouldn't be movable since they are made out of stone bricks and should be incredibly heavy.

Edited by Sir Arowhun