Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Make Animal Husbandry Skill Gain Like Mediation.

Yes, I could cycle through 45 or so animals at one per a minuet over and over thought the day. It seems better for everyone if skill gain didn't encourage us to keep more animals. This probably would limit those who are willing to groom 45 animals over and over for many hours a day.

I get these skill gains maybe 20% of the time. If I only had 15 animals and did this once an hour for a couple hours a day, I'm guessing it would take a year or two to get to 70.

[10:38:46] Animal husbandry increased by 0.00530 to 52.9870

I don't know exactly what the skill gain should be per an attempt, the number of attempts, or the cool down between attempts. Those specifics would be subjective to whatever the devs think is right.

The important point here is to consider drastically increasing skill gain per a groom and put a hard cap how many skill gains you can get per a day.

*Edit* An better alternative is to greatly reduce the cool down period for grooming horse. The shorter this is, the less animals you need.

Edited by joedobo

I'd prefer if the cooldown on grooming would be removed, that way it's not ridiculously hard to skill up and you'll only need very few animals that you can keep skilling on over and over again.

• Like 1

I like how it is now thank you and do not think it needs to be changed at all.

For sure it doesn't need to be made easier and faster.

And the facts are people will still hoard no matter what you do.

As a matter of fact I would rather see meditation changed to like AH skill is gained to where it made some sense to me.

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

+1 Removing the cool down would work.

For sure it doesn't need to be made easier and faster.

And the facts are people will still hoard no matter what you do.

As a matter of fact I would rather see meditation changed to like AH skill is gained to where it made some sense to me.

So 2 years to go form 50 to 70 is reasonable? You entitled to you opinion, but I strongly disagree.

Some people will always hoard. When game mechanics encourage such activities it only exaggerates the problem. Saying we should just accept that everyone is a hoarder and not try anything that discourages such activities, because it doesn't matter, is a very poor attitude. Game design should encourage activities that are beneficial to the game and players.

It doesn't take 2 years at all you are over stating the facts. If you log in 3-4 times a day and groom your skill will rise very quickly.

I know for a fact you can go from 50 to 70 AH in less than 3 months if you have 25-30 horses and groom them daily.more than once.

You want the timer long and you want your stam down alittle to get the bigger gains and you need to use sleep bonus with coc brush.

When I was grinding AH I would farm a couple tiles to get the stam down and then groom a few horses.

Looking at my skill gains during the time I was trying to skill up AH and I didn't groom many many times a day most of the time 1 or 2 rounds of grooming. You can groom every 2 hours I think that means 12 times a day if you really wanted to skill it up.

5/ 18/ 11 I had less than 50 AH

8/ 20 /11 I had over 65 AH

After 65 I decided to slow down because I did not want 7 traits in my breeding at the time.

Edited by Protunia

Anything you try to code to stop people from having " too many animals " I can't see ever working, the thinking behind this approach is new. but I see it solving nothing in the end.

I've only played 2 1/2 years but I'm pretty sure people having " too many animals " was a problem before I started and will continue to be a problem that will never be truly solved, any steps you take to will either cause people to gather more animals to circumvent increased death and the like, if limit AH gains then people will breed 10 times as many to hope for a better horse out of more breeding partners.

If for any other reason besides crowd control I don't get it besides trying to slow down a pretty boring skill to raise as it is.

Again, skill gains about 20% of the time.

For every 15 animals I'd expect to get 0.0159 (3*.0053), and at twice a day its 0.0318 (2*.0159). So 20 skill points / 0.0318 is 628 days.

As skill gets higher I expect those gains per an attempt and frequency to get smaller too.

Using your data:

30 animals, 4 times a day is 120 attempts a day, and 10,800 for 3 months. 20 skill points / 10800 is .001851 assuming you got a gain every time. If we where to apply my 20% expereince it would be almost .01 per attempt. That might be possible with sleep bonous, high coc/low ql brush, and perfectly timing your staimina.

Also, my example used 15 animals and done twice a day. Your using 30 animals and grooming 4 times a day. That 4 times more groom attamps...so 3 months times 4 is a year. Ya thats not 2 years but I think your appling unrealistic measures of what the average game will employ.

@ Kadore, I been playing for about 5 years and the effects hording have on other players have allwasy been a problem. Its OT but barns would solve the problem. Its a solution that aims to remove effect, as opposed to the activity.

This suggestion wouldn't be possible to over come with more animals. Just like with meditation, you can meditation all you like but you won't get more then your hard cap allocated skill gain attempts.

...and put a hard cap how many skill gains you can get per a day.

Terrible idea.

Interesting approach. +1 I'm not sure why anything related to animals in this game gets nerfed into the ground but it sure is annoying.

Again, skill gains about 20% of the time.

For every 15 animals I'd expect to get 0.0159 (3*.0053), and at twice a day its 0.0318 (2*.0159). So 20 skill points / 0.0318 is 628 days.

As skill gets higher I expect those gains per an attempt and frequency to get smaller too.

Using your data:

30 animals, 4 times a day is 120 attempts a day, and 10,800 for 3 months. 20 skill points / 10800 is .001851 assuming you got a gain every time. If we where to apply my 20% expereince it would be almost .01 per attempt. That might be possible with sleep bonous, high coc/low ql brush, and perfectly timing your staimina.

Also, my example used 15 animals and done twice a day. Your using 30 animals and grooming 4 times a day. That 4 times more groom attamps...so 3 months times 4 is a year. Ya thats not 2 years but I think your appling unrealistic measures of what the average game will employ.

If you are only getting .01 per 15 animals you are doing something wrong.

5/ 18/ 11 I had less than 50 AH

8/ 20 /11 I had over 65 AH

nuff said.

Edited by Protunia

[08:27:21] Animal husbandry increased by 0.0509 to 50,474

That's one horse with a 18.8QL grooming brush, 65 coc, SB and low stamina. Keep the stamina low to make the timer longer. Use climbing to drain stamina and to keep it low (but not at 0). This way I'm getting grooming timers of close to 1 minute.

And you might try to get a different grooming brush. 20% skill changes seems way to low. i got skill on 7 of 9 horses in the short test.

The grooming timer is too short, if that was increased skilling would be easier

The grooming timer is too short, if that was increased skilling would be easier

It's fine the way it is. You can get grooming timers of 1 minute if you have low stamina but with full stamina it's still fast if you just want to groom the horses to prevent diseases.

Ugh nothing should be made like meditation skill gain. Ever. It's the worst skill in wurm.

If you want to lower the requirement on having lots of animals - lower the cooldown on grooming, or remove it.

If you really want to change the skill - make it work like faith, limited gains per day, but guaranteed gain.

Also add Veterinary Seminars that behave like Sermons for faith :D

Ugh nothing should be made like meditation skill gain. Ever. It's the worst skill in wurm.

If you want to lower the requirement on having lots of animals - lower the cooldown on grooming, or remove it.

If you really want to change the skill - make it work like faith, limited gains per day, but guaranteed gain.

Also add Veterinary Seminars that behave like Sermons for faith :D

Oh god no....... :wacko:

I'll admit, dramatically or even completely removing the cool down is a good idea. With that I could grind AH with just a few horses.

@ ago...I don't like assuming skill training models that use elitist skill grinding methods. The scenario I gave could be true if I where to use say a 50ql brush, starting at 100% stamina, with no coc, and not using SB. Although, thank you for putting for the effort to explain the details of how to get better gains.

Yeah, just remove the cooldown on grooming so you can get max skill gain with just 1 animal.