Sign in to follow this  
York

High Cpu Usage - Possible Shutdown Bug.

Over the last couple of months I've started noticing some very unusual high cpu output when running Wurm so today after all the stuttering and such I decided to start running a few tests to try and lower it, what i found was very unusual.

To note I have a dual core AMD Athlon 5000+ processor, 250GTS 1GB Nvidia graphics card and 5 gig of ram on windows 7 64bit platform.

Heres what I found.

-Regardless of any graphics settings, it had practically zero impact on cpu usage. I pretty much individually tested every single setting from high/med - low. none had any noticable effect on the cpu usage which would max out to 100% periodically causing stuttering.

-Using a resizable window setting, when the client first loads the window not maximised, maximising the window increases cpu usage by 20% (my screen resolution is 1680x1050, so the window isnt really being maximised but rather 'fitted' to the sceen.)

-Rebooting the computer would show around 20-60% cpu usage on the client, closing and restarting the client would result in 90+ cpu usage on the exact same settings.

-Occasionally the javaw.exe will not shut down properly and leaves a ghost process running which always uses around 50% of the cpu (please note i ensured all ghost .exe processes were ended while performing each test.)

Considering the significant increase in cpu usage on the 2nd or more restarts of the client after a computer reboot I can only assume that even without a ghost javaw.exe running its leaving behind somekind of processes that is eating up the cpu, I also find it suprising that merely maximising a window can result in +20% cpu usage. While im sure wurm/java is cpu intensive by nature, it doesnt explain these results.

I hope these findings can be investigated as I feel its a problem that will continue to get worse, along with the recent server lag the performance of wurm is under serious threat.

Edited by York

What is your CPU clocked at?

Also, try turning off kchat and see if that helps. It can often have pretty bad effects on CPU usage.

Both stock 2.6GHz but theres something wrong beyond my cpu capabilities as the client runs fine at around 20-60% (high settings) immediately after a reboot and 90-100% after starting the client again.

Ill test the kchat option thanks :)

Several of us in my alliance have noticed the same problem. CPU usage suddenly spikes to 100% for no apparent reason. idk if this relates to the recent lag issues but if memory serves me correctly the two things did start about the same time.

I have also noticed that shutting down Wurm, even going to sleep, does not always kill the java process right away. I have seen the process running several minutes after exiting the application and have manually terminated the process a few times.

Please try setting animation quality to "none"; Also check the console.log for unusual activity when the CPU load spike starts.

I did try that in my initial tests Wollschaf, it unfortunately didnt make any difference. These are not CPU load spikes per sae, but rather excessive CPU usage after the client has been shut down and restarted without a computer reboot.

Edit: weird, when i tested this before i turned all animations off, i was using a newbie char and running around tap dance on the stable client, however i just tried it on my normal character on the unstable client with animation quality to none and its holding steady at 40 CPU (average) even after a starting the client a few times without rebooting.

Im guessing (hoping) the new animations havent been streamlined performance wise yet? 60%+ cpu seems alot.

Edit 2: Started client this morning, havent rebooted computer since last night and once again its running javaw.exe at 90+ cpu with animation quality to set to none (same settings). So i refer back to my original suspect that wurm is periodically, not being shut down properly.

Edited by York