Sign in to follow this  
Tenbar

Locks And Smelting

Hey Wurmians:

I am a returning player from a couple years ago and I always have a blast when I play. In so many ways it's hyper-realistic which makes it a lot of fun for me, yet I'm sure veterans know of the unrealistic elements, too.

I was reminded of some of the unrealistic ones the other day when I thought, "Hey, let's grind a little locksmithing skill. Hmmm...all these locks are making a mess now. How can I destroy them and clean things up?"

Should I gift-wrap and burn potentially hundreds of iron locks at 1 minute, 30 seconds for each individual lock? Very strange and time-consuming for such a simple task.

Why won't these locks smelt in a forge or campfire? For that matter, why isn't anything glowing hot eventually smelting back to the iron lump heaven from whence the mold came? Even a loss in QL would be perfectly acceptable as an advanced glowing hot item smelts back to base metal.

As much as I enjoy playing Wurm, nagging peculiarities such as these always leave me "on the fence" as to whether to keep playing or to stop once more. I did sub regardless of what happens because I still have a deep admiration for Rolf's project in many ways.

Does anyone else struggle with such peculiarities? Does it deter them from play?

On a more minor note...How can I get rid of a big pile of locks without being a full-time professional Christmas gift wrapper? (A recent test showed even that approach wasn't working.)

I'd appreciate any changes making wurm even more realistic(except magic)... thats why i like wurm(don't think of removing unicorns!)

to your question regarding the locks... did you try a trash bin? :)

Thanks mikeyyaya for the suggestion, but I haven't gotten into the religious part of Wurm yet.

OK, I'll make sure to give my spiritual advisor a call the next time I need my locks changed then, thanks! ;)

Edited by Tenbar

They never decay, so just stockpile em for giving to a priest; though, ones below 30ql are of iffy worth. If you simply want to get rid of them, sacrifice in an altar even if you are not a priest.

Also to get rid of the keys, sac the corresponding lock first. The game prevents key sacrifice if the linked lock exists.

Edited by Klaa

Selvetarm: I forgot to answer that trash bins can't be used to destroy locks and keys. I already built one and tried that.

Klaa: Thanks for the advice. I will do this if I must. Are there public altars available? Are they all on deeds? Kind of a hermit for now so I'm not sure if that's a problem. I still think it's strange that it requires ritual sacrifice to destroy locks and keys, but I can see that would be a topic for another thread (maybe one of Wurm's devs had a nightmare about a religious locksmith, not sure).

Tenbar's right, trash heaps don't work. From http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Trash_bin:

Speeds decay of the items held within. It must be a decayable item; for instance gems, locks and original keys do not decay.

Not all altars are on deeds and even so, there might not be any restrictions against sacrificing at an altar on a deed. It looks like you'd need at least 10 faith to even sacrifice though. So maybe you can just throw them at the nearest priest. :P

Go into the wilderness somewhere and dump it in a heap. A newer player will find the lock and take it home to put on their mantlepiece, fulfilling the cycle of Wurm.

• Like 1

Go into the wilderness somewhere and dump it in a heap. A newer player will find the lock and take it home to put on their mantlepiece, fulfilling the cycle of Wurm.

Nah, they'll put the lock on their gate having ignored the keys and then find themselves locked in or out of their own plot.

Why won't these locks smelt in a forge or campfire? For that matter, why isn't anything glowing hot eventually smelting back to the iron lump heaven from whence the mold came? Even a loss in QL would be perfectly acceptable as an advanced glowing hot item smelts back to base metal.
Firstly, I'm curious, is there a reason you feel compelled to post in extra large, bold font?

Secondly, more realistic though this may be in certain circumstances, it would make improving items an absolute chore. If it had to be at searing hot to improve, but would melt at glowing, you would have to constantly be aware of what is how hot and moving things around to keep them cool to avoid them melting. This might thrill one or two people, but I think you would find this would be one of the few times that 99.99999% of the wurm community would all be in agreement about lynching Rolf (or possibly the person who suggested it ;) )

Hordern:

I just post in bold to make my posts easier to read and easier to tell "who is saying what". It just makes it a little easier at a glance to see where the OP's posts are throughout a thread.

As for metal items melting back to iron lumps: I wasn't meaning to suggest that they should melt back to iron lumps right when they turn glowing hot. I was meaning perhaps if they remained glowing hot for 5-10 minutes they would melt back to a lump.

Please don't have the playerbase lynch me for this suggestion. I already have to see a spiritual advisor for the locks as it is and I don't want to make him too busy.

Basically, I just think there should be a more realistic alternative for destroying locks and keys, that's it. My suggestion for items that are glowing hot for too long (5-10 mins.) melting was just an afterthought.

That would make any kind of smithing a pain in the behind, as items need to be glowing hot to be improved

OK I am sorry I brought up the idea of melting items. I just said it impulsively when I should have been focused on locks :P

As much as I support realism, the concerns about being able to easily destroy locks have always outweighed the benefits. People would lock themselves out of things and make a whine thread here like they do about almost every other feature of gameplay. Getting a God and being able to sacrifice isn't that hard, you just need someone to convert you.

Edited by Ols

Hordern:

I just post in bold to make my posts easier to read and easier to tell "who is saying what". It just makes it a little easier at a glance to see where the OP's posts are throughout a thread.

Not sure why I can't unbold the paste of your text, oh well. Anyway, understandable although personally I find it harder to read than the default because I have the screen zoomed for the default to be comfortable for me. I take the route of a highly visible bright yellow avatar to highlight my posts :)

Another thing, even if just smelting locks... spam 1k locks, melt them down, make them again for skill.

Where's the Caps Police ?

They got confused as there aren't any beyond the legitimate ;)

Another thing, even if just smelting locks... spam 1k locks, melt them down, make them again for skill.

Obviously, they would lose QL. ;)