Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Even More Oil Denerfing

That's interesting, for me nothing has changed. While I'm currently pressing olives and filling my tube there was no oil removed from it so far and lamps and lights are as always. I wonder if these new changes are already active or are my lamps still using the remaining tar?

So far only my Mine lamps have gone out.

And only the ones on the deeded part of the mine, many of the off-deed lamps are still on.

Any confirmation if a Spirit Templar is actually needed for the Oil Tub thing?

Edited by ReaverKane

Yeah people without templars have already reported that oil is being removed from their oil barrels.

Well... neighbour of mine has an oil tub (with olive oil in) but the lamps are not being lit or refilled in his mine (deeded).

As another test, we both snuffed an above ground lamp.

I have a spirit templar (but no oil tub) - it came back on again within a couple of minutes.

He, without spirit templar (but with oil tub) - it stayed off until the next day when all the lights came back on again.

For off-deed lamps wouldn't it make sense to have them as limited fuel, but auto-light when it's dark and switch off during the day? That takes out a LOT of the trouble.

If you have to justify 'realism' for it add in lamp fairies or some crap.

For off-deed lamps wouldn't it make sense to have them as limited fuel, but auto-light when it's dark and switch off during the day? That takes out a LOT of the trouble.

If you have to justify 'realism' for it add in lamp fairies or some crap.

Hrm, or perhaps, if you store olive oil in your mailbox, the animal spirits will deliver the oil to a number of lamps outside your deed equal to the power of the courier enchant?

Heh. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hrm, or perhaps, if you store olive oil in your mailbox, the animal spirits will deliver the oil to a number of lamps outside your deed equal to the power of the courier enchant?

Heh. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Actually, why not make it that Courier on a lamp enchants it so that the fairy spirit inhabiting it will refill it and will turn it on/off.

For the refill there would have to be a oil tub within tiles=<cast power>*0.2

Enchanted Lamps could have a visual effect on them (like a vine creeping up the shaft of the lamp).

Also, tar refinement would be great.

• Like 1

[...]

Agreed, as a charcoal and steel producer I would cut all my olive trees, they are so ugly.

You've just reduced or removed one of the most astetically pleasing aspects of the game for alot of ppl.

This. thousand times this.

When you were in a dark forest, wandering around, probably fighting for your life, you was relieved when you saw the colorful lights of a small settlement between the trees. You knew you will be safe there, it's finally civilization, probably with some guards who will kill the monsters chasing you.

Wurm was beautiful at night, with blue, pink and white lights flickering around the small houses.

From now it will be dark and black.

Why? Why the need to make this game uglier?

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, July 2, 2012 - flamebaiting and reactions to it
Hidden by KaiH, July 2, 2012 - flamebaiting and reactions to it

Good enough lets move on.

View hidden Post

Good enough lets move on.

Its not good enough. Good enough would be to apply Oracle's Idea of refinning tar to get lamp oil.

View hidden Post

Its not good enough. Good enough would be to apply Oracle's Idea of refinning tar to get lamp oil.

It's good enough.

View hidden Post

Thanks for speaking for the entire Wurm community Sojourner.

View hidden Post

Actually, if you look at the poll, the majority of the community is not happy about this, and simply making more oil and making it last more doesn't defeat the fact that olives are available only once a month, for 2-3 days. So people who aren't available, and miss that window will have to either go manual, or go dark. So, no it isn't enough.

View hidden Post

Protip: Don't feed the troll.

Fuel is not an infinite resource in real life. Nobody benefits from it - it's a realism change.

It's a game, realism is NOT required. you might also have noticed there are trolls and unicorns around.

• Like 1

Fuel is not an infinite resource in real life. Nobody benefits from it - it's a realism change.

realism.....? Really? With Dragons, And Hellspawn, and Magic (Priests), and the other million 'unrealistic' aspects....

Really? OMG......has to be the dumbest rationalization yet.....

• Like 1

You all still crying about this :lol: If you like lamps...fill them up, you lazy bums. No one is making you use lamps. Lamps are not required in any way, so if you like them...fill them or don't use them. Its not like you need to fill them up EVERY NIGHT or every time you logon for that matter. You even have the oil barrel to make templars fill them for you. You don't like olive trees or picking olives then use tar. You to lazy to shovel some tar, pick olives or click on a lamp and click "fill" then DONT USE LAMPS. I filled up my lamps ONCE since this change.

Using up fuel is the same as using up food, you could just as well demand to never get hungry while you stand on deed.

I don't like my deed dark either, but I can understand the change.

Edited by Keldun

Using up fuel is the same as using up food, you could just as well demand to never get hungry while you stand on deed.

I don't like my deed dark either, but I can understand the change.

No, there is almost zerocomparison between feeding oneself and maintaining a lit deed.

You kill an animal, or fish up a fish. Add veggie in a frypan, and you have a meal. Done for the day. Once per day per character for pumpkin + meat meals unless you have really low skills (then do casseroles), and are playing a very long time. Maybe two 1.3 kg casseroles per day with terribad skills.

If you have a deed with a guard, that guard will generate far more meat than you need killing aggros if you want it to. A very small farm of just a few tiles will provide all the pumpkins you need.

Maintaining one's nutrition is not time consuming or difficult after you have a small established farm, and a templar.

Maintaining deed lights is both time consuming and irritating. The oil can only be gathered during part of the year. It requires a weaponsmithing and a fine carpentry tool. It requires a significant amount of land be covered by the ugliest tree in Wurm.

It's a nightmare solution, which is a complete anathaema to the entire concept of build/create/improve in a sandbox game. It's less of a nightmare now, but not by much.

Rolf would have done batter and made people HAPPY by adding olive oil to cooking. Olive Oil + meat + veggie + frying pan = stir Fry.

demand to never get hungry while you stand on deed.

HoTS here, your argument is invalid

• Like 1

The choice should be interesting and fun not more grind. Whales and tar refining could start an industry. Why have only trees for oil. I have a lot of animal fat I would love to turn into oil. I want to start Wurm Standard Oil Co. I could deed all the tar spots and and then rule the world. How about WSO's White Dragon Light Oil?

Actually, why not make it that Courier on a lamp enchants it so that the fairy spirit inhabiting it will refill it and will turn it on/off.

For the refill there would have to be a oil tub within tiles=<cast power>*0.2

Enchanted Lamps could have a visual effect on them (like a vine creeping up the shaft of the lamp).

Not a bad idea. Courier on lamps? could make Fo even more useful.

• Like 1

Fine, then replace feeding yourself with feeding your animals and your arguments are invalid.

Fine, then replace feeding yourself with feeding your animals and your arguments are invalid.

T'is your argument which is more invalid.

Most animals kept by players can graze and don't require additional feeding. Those that do require manual feeding are likely all in one smallish area - not scattered around for maximum effectiveness, or a long way from your home - such as the lamps in cave canals.

Not only that, but food is easily accessible from multiple sources. Olives are only in season periodically (although tar still works for the time being if you have a tar pit nearby)

It doesn't bother you? fine. Just please stop trying to convince those it does annoy that it's a change that makes sense and that we should be happy for it.

Sign in to follow this