Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Circumvening The Nerf

You know what Ironic?

Wurm is the only game in the world where a Dev would create a post about how to circumvent a Nerf he just did.

I mean most either stick with their nerfs (cause they have weighed the pros and cons and know it will work) or assume their error and rollback the changes. But not Rolf, Rolf is right even when he's wrong so he "circumvents" the nerf.

May I suggest making the armour rack large enough to fit a full set of armor? I've noticed that the chestpiece (studded at least) doesn't fit, which seems like a possible oversight.

May I suggest making the armour rack large enough to fit a full set of armor? I've noticed that the chestpiece (studded at least) doesn't fit, which seems like a possible oversight.

Err... not at all what this thread is about :P

Everywhere-PvP in Wurm? You mean the nice story of "I've built my place over 2 months, went afk for a weekend and found my house bashed, my deed disbanded, my chests robbed and my wife ra... oh wait had no wife, left after first month".

• Like 1

mmmkayyyy. lets see here. so far i've heard bantering , b####ing, slander, threats (veiled), and the worlds ending more or less.

Simplest solution would be a rollback on the last fiasco masquerading as a fix, update, implemented rubish, or whatever you want to label it. Simple Fact: Wurm is (regardless of how real you realism retards want to make it) still a game. Period. End of story.

Grow up, you want real? go play sim city or something quit draggin the large majority who play wurm for its twisted logic, unrealistic mechanics, customizable landscape, and some really awesome people that you meet along your journey through the insanity that is and should always REMAIN Wurm. don't change little petty things. go after the big fish.

COME ON ROLF!!! I know you got it in you to redeem yourself from this travesty i KNOW the aliens planted in your head when they abducted you last winter. if left unchecked, you will end up losing a portion of your profit from people finding other games that are more enjoyable. Wurm is already labor intensive which was part of its charm but that was with what labor was already in place adding more goes from charm to a job. just from a business standpoint this is what you would call essentially sending an assassin to kill your bottom line.

Ok. That being said now i make a request. Since i for one work 10 hours a day 7 days a week generally at a refinery and like to spend my unwinding time playing wurm, I would request that since i have to pay for 2 accounts, or that is pay YOU in order to play on my 2 accounts each month, you should have to pay US for all fun your removing from the game we've all grown to love. so i figure if you lower the rates to play wurm now that there is really little fun left to your game or start paying us an hourly rate to do chores, IE WORK...... sounds fair to me. how about you cheif?

Edited by Wolfrider

View hidden Post
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Jberg, June 30, 2012 - Offtopic / Derailing
Hidden by Jberg, June 30, 2012 - Offtopic / Derailing

This thread is soo last week, were onto hedges now people! come on! :D

Edited by York

I love how Rolf rarely does updates with content that his customers ask for and wants but is always coming up with new, half cocked ideas that the vast majority dislike and disapprove of. It shows well for Wurm's future. Seriously though with over 75% of the playerbase not liking this update AT ALL you'd think he'd revert it but what does he do? He just makes a new update that makes the old one not sound as bad but is still as bad. Just swallow your pride and ego for just a little bit and listen to your customers, hell you might save some of them. Return lamps to how they're suppose to be, it's what the majority of players want, simple as that.

Edited by Rhodes
  • Like 3

Return lamps to how they're suppose to be, it's what the majority of players want, simple as that.

i agree with the second part of that sentence....but about the first part: it wasnt supposed to be....atleast not for offdeed and its understandable too, as why the heck should lamps stay on forever offdeed without even a "theoretical" guard maintaining it?

but I would love it to see this nerf beeing reverted on deeds....because this oil tub is nice and all, but i made a deed so I DON'T need to maintain my stuff....and I already have to maintain everything except walls :o so where was the point to actually nerf those lamps ON deed? or should we expect, that having a deed is only luxury in the future? as it only keeps your stuff away from theft and a piece of land for yourself probably??

• Like 1

i agree with the second part of that sentence....but about the first part: it wasnt supposed to be....atleast not for offdeed and its understandable too, as why the heck should lamps stay on forever offdeed without even a "theoretical" guard maintaining it?

but I would love it to see this nerf beeing reverted on deeds....because this oil tub is nice and all, but i made a deed so I DON'T need to maintain my stuff....and I already have to maintain everything except walls :o so where was the point to actually nerf those lamps ON deed? or should we expect, that having a deed is only luxury in the future? as it only keeps your stuff away from theft and a piece of land for yourself probably??

This!

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Jberg, July 4, 2012 - trolling / OT
Hidden by Jberg, July 4, 2012 - trolling / OT

By the way Rolf since you're fixing so called "bugs" you should fix this weird dying thing. When your character dies it just respawns with some loss of skill and that's it, it needs to be fixed so that your character is erased from the game including all the writs, deeds, money, everything. I'm sure the realism nuts would really, really enjoy this. I'm sure most players, however, will not like this but that hasn't stopped you before. After all it's not what the customer wants, it's whatever you think up on a whim right?

• Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Jberg, July 4, 2012 - fallout
Hidden by Jberg, July 4, 2012 - fallout

Yeah, for some reason I can keep playing once I die and my computer doesn't overheat... nobody even came to my house to kill me in real life!

I was talking about on deed lamps

And i was agreeing. I Never had a problem with off-deed lamps being fixed, its the "fix" on on-deed lamps, and the sudden fixation about olives that i find badly implemented.

But i do agree that they should invent some sort of cross-status between a deed and off-deed for heritage sites that can only be aplied by GMs.

This would prevent decay, mis-use, and deal with lamps like on-deed.

Edited by ReaverKane

I have just come back to Wurm in time to see the dumbest change to deed owners. Seriously WTF were you thinking. This better get changed or i'll be gone in another month for good.

Massive increase in demand for Olives or MANY great landmarks going dark.

Huge eyesores of olive farms dotting the landscapes.

More work for something which shouldn't be. Let players have fun for a change.

No more lamp market for upcoming blacksmiths.

How can any of this be good

• Like 2

I have just come back to Wurm in time to see the dumbest change to deed owners. Seriously WTF were you thinking. This better get changed or i'll be gone in another month for good.

Massive increase in demand for Olives or MANY great landmarks going dark.

Huge eyesores of olive farms dotting the landscapes.

More work for something which shouldn't be. Let players have fun for a change.

No more lamp market for upcoming blacksmiths.

How can any of this be good

I quite agree. Utter madness. I hate it with a passion.

• Like 1

I actually don't care about the deed going dark. I have a lantern, and I only need light where I am anyways. Tough I will admit placing lights along highways or in caves to light up the path might be more troublesome. I have enough trouble finding my way when traveling in light, but it would force me to eighter keep traveling in a general direction, or set down camp for the night. Keeping lights on forever at the main highways atleast would be nice, the small roads are private roads and should not have the same protection.

The Highways tough, are under wurm game rules not to be tampered with, and as such should also be the reposibility of the GM's, and therefore the game creator to keep lit.

The Highways tough, are under wurm game rules not to be tampered with, and as such should also be the reposibility of the GM's, and therefore the game creator to keep lit.

I don't know where you are getting this Idea that it is up to the GM's and the Dev's to keep up the Highways the players create, Also they for sure have no responsibility to make sure these are kept lit at night.

The rules only protects highways from being modified once they are completed without first consulting with those who live in that area and giving players clear alternate routes if they are modified.

Players who build highways and plant lamps all over the server ( knowing forever off deed lamps were a bug. ) have all the responsibility to keep these in good working order if they want them to be that way. Not saying that they have to do this at all, As a matter of fact while players are using one of these highways I think they can fill lamps placed along them if they wish to keep them lit.

I don't know where you are getting this Idea that it is up to the GM's and the Dev's to keep up the Highways the players create, Also they for sure have no responsibility to make sure these are kept lit at night.

The rules only protects highways from being modified once they are completed without first consulting with those who live in that area and giving players clear alternate routes if they are modified.

Players who build highways and plant lamps all over the server ( knowing forever off deed lamps were a bug. ) have all the responsibility to keep these in good working order if they want them to be that way. Not saying that they have to do this at all, As a matter of fact while players are using one of these highways I think they can fill lamps placed along them if they wish to keep them lit.

And yet, if GMs would create a mechanism (like a GM-made "deed") for heritage sites and highways (which are under GM protection because they acknowledge the importance of these structures) that would not only keep them lit but also make them harder to mess with (being proactive instead of reactive) would take wurm a step further into being more user friendly.

I mean it makes no sense that, for instance starter towns, are completely left unpaved, unbuilt, un-anything... A new player comes from a fully paved, lots of houses and walls GV Tutorial, and lands on this lump of wilderness, not the best first impression.

I for one loved how GV worked. Having a few "PA" towns made it much easier not only on the eyes, but also getting some resources (the gm renewed mine and tree farm on New Dawn), and having some bearings (having paved and marked roads, highway and several "Cities" made it much easier to know where one was).

Same way, it seems to me that players that provide a service, and an improvement to the game by creating roads that help new players (and old) find their ways around the game faster and with ease, shouldn't be "punished" for this by having the added task of a time consuming maintenance. Of course, ideally users could contribute to said maintenance, but we all know that there's always people more interested in griefing that helping. Which is why, a perfect solution would be a automated GM-enforced protection.

Think they were meaning for the areas deemed as Heritage sites, since major/well known/heavily used road, such as the FM highways or the road from the initial spawn at The Howl (for example) are policed by the GMs (and are treated as Heritage sites even without the signs) as needed/requested.

Just seems a lot of people use the Highway rules and Heritage rules interchangeably when they actually address different situations and needs within the game.

For those who may not know, from the Rules at: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/7-game-rules/

Heritage Items.

Such items as major tunnels, items or sites that are deemed important by the GM to enhancing the playability for players will be named "Heritage" sites. Heritage items will be adequately sign posted so there isn't any confusion.

All such Heritage sites are under GM protection and any destruction, alteration or other action that results in restricting the use or access of such items will be governed under the game rules for griefing.

However, this only impacts the Freedom PVE servers, not Epic/Chaos.

On that note, getting the areas correctly labeled/registered as Heritage sites (maybe a no-upkeep sign with a unique graphic to make it more easily/readily known?), would help reduce the issue a bit. With the rare system in place, we already have flashing/glowing layers on rare or better signs, even just giving these a unique color/or glow would make them easier to spot, so the sign shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe recruit the CA's and CM's to assist in the task of getting the signs updated or in place for new sites since I know everyone has a lot on their plate, but I do think it would help a great deal no matter which way the final decision from the dev team goes.

Increasing the duration of oil lamps would be a nice thing. But forever lamps are stupid. If a lamp has to be refilled every 2-3 RL days then it should be more like 12 days. Basically somebody needs to sit down and calculate the amount of time needed ot keep these things lit and determine what's an acceptible time requirement.

The night keeps thigns more mysterious. We need mystery in the wurm world. We shouldn't know everything. Too much convenience ruins the mystery because it puts light on things that would otherwise have to be sought out manually. Mystery isn't mystery when you can see it. However, too much mystery can be like a suffocating cloud that's so immense and complex and boundless that you lose ambition to chase it in an attempt to know it. So we always need some tool to light our way... we have to see some things. Not everything can be a mystery. But it's important to always have things outside our vision to keep us inspired and active and mindful of the possibilities.

Earlier I was thinking about the map. Large detailed maps fill me with wonder and inspiration. Thinking of all the nooks and crannies and the far away things is motivating. I never want to fully understand a map. It needs to impress me to inspire me. But if a map is too complex and too big then the things you need can be too far apart and this can be a problem because you might not have enough time or you might end up dead because a animal killed you while you were traveling between two important places. And complexity can increase the length of time that's required to find what you need. So all of this is a balance. What makes it worse is that groups of players can be different. It's very hard to get it all right. The point in saying all this is that the mystery and complexity of hte world has to be balanced against other things or otherwise it can make the game impossible to play. For example, no light = blind = can't play.

Edited by Lightonfoot

Increasing the duration of oil lamps would be a nice thing. But forever lamps are stupid. If a lamp has to be refilled every 2-3 RL days then it should be more like 12 days. Basically somebody needs to sit down and calculate the amount of time needed ot keep these things lit and determine what's an acceptible time requirement.

The night keeps thigns more mysterious. We need mystery in the wurm world. We shouldn't know everything. Too much convenience ruins the mystery because it puts light on things that would otherwise have to be sought out manually. Mystery isn't mystery when you can see it. However, too much mystery can be like a suffocating cloud that's so immense and complex and boundless that you lose ambition to chase it in an attempt to know it. So we always need some tool to light our way... we have to see some things. Not everything can be a mystery. But it's important to always have things outside our vision to keep us inspired and active and mindful of the possibilities.

Earlier I was thinking about the map. Large detailed maps fill me with wonder and inspiration. Thinking of all the nooks and crannies and the far away things is motivating. I never want to fully understand a map. It needs to impress me to inspire me. But if a map is too complex and too big then the things you need can be too far apart and this can be a problem because you might not have enough time or you might end up dead because a animal killed you while you were traveling between two important places. And complexity can increase the length of time that's required to find what you need. So all of this is a balance. What makes it worse is that groups of players can be different. It's very hard to get it all right. The point in saying all this is that the mystery and complexity of hte world has to be balanced against other things or otherwise it can make the game impossible to play. For example, no light = blind = can't play.

You have no idea what you're talking about, no?

1- Forever lamps off-deed was indeed a bug.

2- Auto-fill of lamps on deed was a feature that was implemented on community request years ago, and now Rolf decided to get rid of it.

3- You can still auto-fill on deeds, only problem is you are forced to use olive oil instead of tar.

4- Lamps already last over 10 days.

Mistery? Tell me about mistery when you're walking on a olive grove with fog, and suddenly you have a champion troll on your face.

Sign in to follow this