Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Circumvening The Nerf

Too much repairandmaintenance and not enough play maketh Wurm a dull ... what rhymes with repairandmaintenance again?

hadn't even considered that every boat canal would go dark due to this, that should be fun. I figure more folks will end up crashing into the mine walls with their boats, requiring GM intervention to get them out and stuff like that? So it's not just more chores for the players but also more work for the GM team, brilliant.

Eh I crash knarrs into cave tiles even in well lit tunnels. The amount of room in the turn is more of a factor.

Yes please! Would make forestry so much more usefull!

Higher forestry = more sprouts cut... BOOM more trees.

Edited by Klaa

Too much repairandmaintenance and not enough play maketh Wurm a dull ... what rhymes with repairandmaintenance again?

Despair and bane penance

Firstly: I don't mind so much the idea of needing to refill lamps, but this is only something that should need to be done OCCASIONALLY - not every few days. Perhaps once a month would be the most I'd be willing to do. A huge majority of lamps are off deed in mines, in canals and lighting up public roads. The length that a lamp lasts with either oil or tar needs to be dramatically increased.

Secondly: Oil quantities - the amount of oil that can be harvested and the time it takes to collect one olive and successfully press it - especially at low skill, just makes the whole process unfulfilling and laborious. Bulking out the oil with melted animal fat sounds like a nice suggestion. Not only that, but harvesting olives is going to be highly competitive on trees not protected by being on-deed. The olive seasons are way too short to accumulate enough - especially for casual players who will likely find (even if they catch olive season) all trees bare.

Thirdly: a question. Any barrel? Does it have to be a large barrel or will the guard take from any container? Only if a lamp has run out - or will they keep topping them up and using up oil?

Overall - seriously unimpressed by this addition/nerf when there are so many other simple things that would have been nicer to see added.

+1

if you want a fancy disco light deed, work for it. everybody else, get a oil lamp to carry around with u. (maybe your nice spirit guard will fill that also)

Have to add my concern - chores are simply getting too much. Another 'small fix'- but a big bite out of PLAYtime. Plus it's just not feasible that players will even manage to keep up with this 'small chore' (not enough trees to begin with). Plus the disadvantages of all canals and public roads going dark forever-after (no-one can seriously expect the players to keep those lit too next to the extra work on their own places allready). Plus the lessened appeal of the visual game overall (allready many complaints about too dark nights - just made darker again now...). Plus to top it all off, this wasn't even a bugfix, because the way it was working was intended, and fought over to get there a few years back...

Time to undo this undoing of a feature I think.

Edited by Kianga
  • Like 3

If I build a grooming brush barrel, will the guards groom my horsies, too?

Olive oil (given the difficulty in production and seasonal aspect and minimal tree yield) should last 10 times longer than tar.

0.125kg of Tar lasting 5-6 RL days (Not wurm days)

0.125kg of Olive Oil lasting 50-60 RL days (Not wurm days)

Thus there is now a real use for using olive oil in lamps off-deed (like in a mine) it rarely needs to be re-filled, but Tar simply provides a quick refill solution.

no way im going to fill up my 150+ off deed cave tunnel lamps on a regular basis

Edited by Robfox

which chores??? dishes??? laundry??? The only thing I have seen mentioned is farming and grooming......please enlighten me as to this chores argument that comes up every single time some people are required to do something....I realize that people can't handle any kind of changes here, but this idea that you have chores is simply silly.

As far as the fixing of the lamps there have been numerous Idea's put out already.

-1 to 60 day lamps for one fill.

-1 to casting more forever lamps

+1 to making forestry more useful by adding to the amount harvested

+1 to adjusting the seasons

+1 to using animal fat after cooking it down to oil.

+1 to adding more time to lamps staying lit or requiring less oil.

+1 to the QL of lamps/oil effecting lasting longer

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 1

higher end lamps (silver and gold) should last long time? lamps hold more oil so last longer? Higher QL oil should last longer and burn slower then low QL oil?

which chores??? dishes??? laundry??? The only thing I have seen mentioned is farming and grooming......please enlighten me as to this chores argument that comes up every single time some people are required to do something....I realize that people can't handle any kind of changes here, but this idea that you have chores is simply silly.

Chores = grind-a-thon. You cannot in whatever way interrupt their grinding or the tears start to flow

Some chores: repairing (and examining everything that does not have a visual clue to look for needed repairs), farming (harvesting and replanting), grooming, cooking food, occasionally replanting trees that other players have chopped down and not replaced - which also entails searching around for sprouts.

I'd say 80% of my in-game time is spent on those above tasks - leaving little time to actually expand my mine or finish building things on my deed.

As for 60 days... is that really so unreasonable? Forever down to 50-60 days (only if filled with olive oil as opposed to tar)

This change has to my mind done nothing to increase usefulness of olive oil, but has just made lamps less useful and less saleable - as well as making people need to dig up more tar to use on the lamps they have. If you have 20 lamps to look after, that means on average 1 will still need refilling every 3 days if you are using olive oil in them - as opposed to 5 every day (on average) if you use tar.

Sure, using tar is nice and easy. Short dig timer, no refill timer or 'lighting' timer. But making enough olive oil is a very time consuming process and would be a rather serious extra chore to add to the list for little extra benefit if it did not last about 10x longer than the tar equivalent.

Edited by Tinkerer

Chores = grind-a-thon. You cannot in whatever way interrupt their grinding or the tears start to flow

There is a difference between maintenance and creation. While some degree of maintence is both expected and desired in many cases, the sheer absurdity of the scale of work required to maintain lamps ondeed as currently proposed is painful.

Part of the attraction of Wurm is creation. If I wanted a game that was centered around maintenance without creation I'd play, err, sorry there is no game I know based on maintenance without creation.

Elaborate busywork is still busywork.

Farming takes 15 minutes. If you plant 100+ tiles then thats is their choice. Grooming takes 5 minutes. If you hog and breed 100 animals thats is their choice. Cooking food takes 5 minutes. If you plan on grinding HFC and have 1000 pans that is their choice. Replanting trees takes no longer then 30 minutes (gather sprouts and plant). If you cut a forest down and replant it, that is their choice. These "chores" is what wurm is and the amount of time you put into each chore is up to the player. I spend hardly any time replanting, farming, repairing on my deed. I spend all my time terraforming and building my deed. I dont groom cause I cant find a horse, pig, chicken, bull ect to tame just aggressive animals...wonder why that is? But I don't really care for breeding and grooming atm.

Although I do agree with the current amount of olives per lamp and is a bit excessive atm.

Farming takes 15 minutes. If you plant 100+ tiles then thats is their choice. Grooming takes 5 minutes. If you hog and breed 100 animals thats is their choice. Cooking food takes 5 minutes. If you plan on grinding HFC and have 1000 pans that is their choice. Replanting trees takes no longer then 30 minutes (gather sprouts and plant). If you cut a forest down and replant it, that is their choice. These "chores" is what wurm is and the amount of time you put into each chore is up to the player. I spend hardly any time replanting, farming, repairing on my deed. I spend all my time terraforming and building my deed. I dont groom cause I cant find a horse, pig, chicken, bull ect to tame just aggressive animals...wonder why that is? But I don't really care for breeding and grooming atm.

Although I do agree with the current amount of olives per lamp and is a bit excessive atm.

Those aren't really choices, but how you play the game. Everything is a chore, and they all take a lot of time and materials to get any good at. Now Rolf has made another chore necessary if you want to see at night. It's just an annoyance I would rather not have with all the other grinds to do just to play.

Olive yield increased

With this update today olive yield has been increased for higher ages. And the previously mentioned oil barrel feature is coming live.

As others have stated deed lights burning forever was NOT a bug but rather a feature players asked for & Rolf agreed to give us a couple of years ago. This is not a bug fix but a nerf & Rolf breaking a promise to the older players here. Deed lights burning forever was a perk of having a deed. Now it's being taken away & replaced with a needless chore that isn't even workable without farther changes to the game.

Refine oils?? Are you serious? Let's add more work to busy work, to a new chore shall we? THAT will certainly add some fun to my game! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rolf I seriously don't know how many more slaps in the face your older paying players are going to take.

• Like 1

ok so olive oil increased based on age (of tree one would assume) SO WHAT! still quite some time before next harvestable season.....dark deed still then LOOL

Stop QQing babies :P Steps in the right direction and you all still cry.

"players asked for & Rolf agreed to give us a couple of years ago" -- couple of years ago?! sorry to bust your bubble but times change. Move with them or move on. Rolf NEVER intended to have forever lit lamps in the first place for his game.

Actually, yea I kind of agree kazkid. Would be nice if this was released just before olive season :)

Edited by Smokie

If we really have to go this terrible route, I would immediately request a nicer and smaller model for the oil tub. The huge tub looks hideously out of place and larger than my fountain.

Sign in to follow this