Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

A Few Mostly Minor Bugfixes Today

There’s nothing very radical in todays update except that Olive oil will become more useful because the bug where street lamps never used it up was fixed. The fix is according to how it was once supposed to be - that a full lamp is lit for something like 3-5 days. I suspect that it will be considered too much of a nerf now that everyone’s used to forever lamps. We’ll have to tone it down then I guess.

There are also other small changes like typo fixes but nothing as notable as this.

View the full article
  • Like 1

Rolf if you want to make olive oil more sought after, let it be a cooking component, or let us use it in alchemy for something or other.

People are going to be highly irritated with the lamp change considering that some deeds have dozens if not hundreds of lamps.

I'm fine with it. But I have two lamps on deed, and about 50 kilos of olive oil.

The problem with this update is that it adds more pointless work. More stuff you need to do.

Does this mean that the "Maintenance of signs, lamps, banners and flags by spirit guards" as listed as a benefit for owning a deed will no longer also include the guards filling the lamps automatically? If so, that's going to be a huge pain to go around and fill all the lamps on the deed and in the on-deed mine.

If this is the intent, I believe a new function should be added to the deed token where you can put in tar and/or oil and the templars will use that to refil lamps. The fuel shouldn't decay in there, but then it's okay if you cannot take it out again.

If the update to lamps does include on deed lamps, then I have to question why you are giving us LESS reasons to own a deed? I mean seriously, you're increasing our game workload for very little benefit to the players, without much incentive to keep paying upkeep costs.

It's your game, but really?

As far as making olive oil sought after, let's see.. olive oil is harvestable twice a year, you get one olive per tree that has to be crushed in a fruit press, if that succeeds you get a little oil for your lamps. OR, you can go dig a ton of tar whenever you feel like it. Hmmmm

Edited by Domhnall

Minor inconvience but nothing major, certainly not enough to negate the all the other huge benefits you get when planting a deed, primarily of which is owning land. Tar is pretty common also, my only question is the 3-5 days thing, personally I think on deed lamps should burn less oil/tar maybe double that to 7-14 days instead. Once a week isnt so bad.

When are you going to fix some important bugs, like mining/digging timers?

(I don't think the lamp fix will influence how deeds work, but for a long time now lamps have been lit forever off-deed, fixing that is good)

Silly change. Who uses olive oil to fill their lights? It's seasonal, doesn't store well, requires a container to move it around... To make olive oil more used and useful, add it as a more common cooking component, or alchemy component, as suggested above.

Removing benefits of deeds - even small benefits - does feel a bit like punishing those who actually pay for the game.

• Like 1

And of course another useless bugfix that nobody needs or asked for... Olive oil? Seriously? Who uses olive oil to fill up their deed lamps anyway?

If lamps are going to need refuelling on deed from now on and off deed lamps will now run out and go dark, off deed lamps should probably illuminate and go dark the same as they do on deed, but would perhaps need more frequent refilling. Would be nice to have off deed lamps that behaved that way so they aren't needlessly lit during the day. That would be a good compromise considering the extra effort it will now require to maintain a well lit roadway.

Bug fixs are good I don't care how small. There is some other way to keep off deed lamps lit forever as well supposedly involving planting them when they are still lit after creating them ( and lighting them? )...have not tried it, but have heard some discussion of it. Plus its summer time cut Rolf some slack. ;)

Edited by Uberknot

Rolf says: Hey guys I made a nice bug fix for your benifit! Street lamps will now use up olive oil to make it more "useful" since you will have to make more of it to use to fuel your lamps! Oh by the way, your street lamps will now run out of fuel every 3-5 days in order for you to have this benificial effect.

An absolutely brilliant facade erected in an attempt to obfuscate the fact that you are now actually creating a counter effect that far exceeds this supposed benificial demand for oilve oil. I suppose Popeye would be pleased to hear of Olive Oil's new popularity; however the playerbase will be quite upset that this cartoonish vision has dimed your vision as to its siphoning effect on otherwise well lighted pathways.

Huh? In other words, you have really lost sight of the fact that the one time filling of lamps with the various existing substances was working well for the playerbase and needed no further negative detrimental effects added to its functioning. If you wish to actually improve the lamp system, make off deed lamps turn on and off at dawn and dusk the same as they do on deeds and also reduce the decay on them.

This new rapid lamp fuel depletion will only make for frustrated players and unlit lamps all across the Wurm servers. I for one will not be running around refueling my street lamps on various deeds and locations on any newly introduced frequent basis, as I will just let them run out of fuel and hide there in the darkness. Really, this change adds nothing positive to the game and only yet to be determined negative effects will emerge from it. One would be that people will now purchase less street lamps as they don't want to have to maintain them in this fashion. Why *blank* over your playerbase in this manner?

*shakes head sadly*

=Ayes=

I fail to see why this is needed/wanted beyond giving players more "chores" in a..."game"...

• Like 1

I'd like there were a riding animation. This sight really bothers me:

wurmpolo.png

(image credits for Budda)

Now there's a nice idea. And bow racks, woot!

Minor inconvience but nothing major, certainly not enough to negate the all the other huge benefits you get when planting a deed, primarily of which is owning land. Tar is pretty common also, my only question is the 3-5 days thing, personally I think on deed lamps should burn less oil/tar maybe double that to 7-14 days instead. Once a week isnt so bad.

This is a good idea. Having and paying for a deed is great and should carry benifits. On deed lamps should last longer than off deed lamps. This way deed owners do not get the huge impact of this update and may cry less :P Personally don't think its a bad idea to actually have lamps that need to be fueled up. If you want to plant 100 lamps then that is their choice. But deed owners should have more incentive to actually have or buy or keep a deed. Deed items would be good too, items only deed owners can plant like the oil tub thing above.

EDIT: Also would be nice to see how much fuel is left in them by examining them since this update is live

Edited by Smokie

Lamps were working fine and didn't need fixing. I don't want to add a chore of obtaining olive oil to my regular work of farming and grooming. I expect I'll probably end up working in the dark, grumbling about it. I didn't use a lantern on-deed for well over a year because I have the deed lit up with lamps, and the carried lantern would decay a lot, even if it was off.

Rolf, I guess I'm the one to remind you that lamps lasting forever ondeed is NOT a bug, it was a feature requested by the players a couple of years ago, and you took a long time before relenting and made them forever. All you have done is upset players for no good reason, and made Wurm go a lot darker. There are many problems that really NEED fixing, please concentrate your time on those things, instead of constantly creating these distractions from the real problems.

• Like 1

When the lights go out again / all over the world...

Bad decision. Next, maybe introduce gold nails, so that on-deed buildings require them not to decay?

Why not have the oil tub plantable and be fillable by anyone. So anyone in the game can help fill up off deed tubs and tubs will cover so many tiles and keep lamps fueled. This way we get more community involved in running the game and this also allows contribution for everyone to help keep spawns and wilderness paths lit up.

One more little problem here. How am I supposed to keep the guards out of my GOOD olive oil, the stuff I use for compasses? Seems that if there is oil in any container ondeed, it is getting used up. This is just screwing up more and more all the time.

oil tub is probably a different container. Put your oil in another container...you seem to just want to complain about anything and everything. Have you even read the other post about "oil barrel"?
/>http://wurmonline.tumblr.com/post/25505328566/circumvening-the-nerf

Edited by Smokie
  • Like 1

Another problem is, I don't have any gaurds. No deed guards and no tower near by. Don't need them and really can't afford deed guards.

oil tub is probably a different container. Put your oil in another container...you seem to just want to complain about anything and everything. Have you even read the other post about "oil barrel"?

http://wurmonline.tu...vening-the-nerf

I've read it and reject it. This is a change that was not needed. We don't need full realism in the game, especially when it will now take up so much time collecting oil, taking from time I could be spending PLAYING THE GAME. I'm sick to death of having more chores added to my day for realism. It's a game, and I want to be able to play, not work.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this