Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Changes To Chaos

Quite a lot of players have been anticipating big changes on Chaos, bringing back full blown PvP. I’ve considered the options and the efforts involved in this and there are some things that can be easily fixed and some that risks to become pretty messy. Some things will never be as well resolved as they are with the different kingdoms on Epic.

We’re moving on with the alliance system. Adding custom kingdoms is too much work and too bug prone.

I’ve decided that we can’t do changes to Chaos in one big release because we can’t test them really. The code is complex and we can’t set up a proper test server for this. It means that we’ll release an initial batch of changes now and see where we end up for next week:

• No penalties for attacking other players
  • You need to declare war on other alliances in order to gain battle points and skill. It will be instantly effective.
  • You can’t destroy walls or fences of enemy villages on Chaos
  • Ranks and affinities should work for alliances at war now
  • Skill gain will now be gained for premium skilled players killed. There are overkill limits.
  • Traps only work for villages
  • Also the achievements for first logged on and diseased will be reset today
  • The /support window should start working in this client release

View the full article

I approve of the approach. One query - will corpses be lootable off deed?

Apparently not, I've tried but my alliance has not yet declared war at none for the moment.

No raiding oh yay happy days. I was exepecting a big overhaul to fix the horrible freedom code that's reduced the server to zero pvp and a hota people rarely attend on their main accounts so the server could be fun again. But no no i'm FAR more happy with now being able to get killed on the long ass hour journey it takes to get to the HoTA and not even being able to raid my enemies >.>

/sarcasm

You're right Rolf. Lots of us we're very very excited to see some changes come to what was once our fun wild server, this....killed that excitement. How in the world can having kingdoms on wild be bugggy when it's what we had in the first place that got ruined by forcing us all to wear green dresses and craft for months on end. What do you expect? big open field battles because now we're able to kill each other again? No all this will bring is a few people mucking around hiding outside enemy deeds waiting for someone to leave it, getting one sneaky kill and running away. You call it a careful slow approach to fixing the issues but it sure does look an awful lot like "i can't be assed to actually sort out the server so i'll just fob them off with giving them something that resembles full pvp".

Don't get me wrong, this si a step in the right direction and i'm pleased to see SOMETHING being done. But this is so little and so late, we've waited months on end to get wild back and all we get after all that time (when you'd even expressed an interest in giving kingoms or custom kingdoms to the server recently) is no raiding and alliance wars. Big incentive for everyone to reduce guards again and pay less upkeep.

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 1

Sounds like an interesting set of first changes, hopefully he can turn the server into something good in the long run.

Edited by Ecrir

I dont play on chaos but arent these changes pretty much the current features? What exactly is changing here other then no penalities for attacking other players and affinity gain? I fail to see why you cant bring back full pvp with no penalities.

Edited by atazs

From what I see Chaos would seem more a normal non-pvp server with the exception of temporary wars between super barricaded villages that you can not even raid.

I do not understand why people should come and try this sort of semi-PvP.

I know that Rolf wants to keep up the name of Epic Cluster and that is why it will not transform Chaos in Wild one more time.

But at least I ask him if he can put the server in total full-PvP with the possibility of raids and whatever.

If you do not want to see a new depopulation.

Edited by Davy

Well you can still bash mine doors I bet, and lockpick. Might lead to interesting fights.

chaos had a large population boost the the announcement of FULL pvp - then some people complained and Rolf had second thoughts. after that people just got tired of waiting.

chaos had a large population boost the the announcement of FULL pvp - then some people complained and Rolf had second thoughts. after that people just got tired of waiting.

This a thousand times over. Rolf isn't seeing another penny from me until something proper is done with Chaos, not this "halfway WIP" stuff.

This a thousand times over. Rolf isn't seeing another penny from me until something proper is done with Chaos, not this "halfway WIP" stuff.

amen

Heres hoping village raiding in some form is in one of the aforementioned future changes. Id settle for merely alliance-warring deeds.

We cant have PvP without raiding. Raiding is a major function of Chaos. We do not want this half pve and half pve at all. As horton said the population went from 20 tops to 70 tops when FULL pvp was introduced, not this half and half crap.

I wont be playing untill we get full pvp - And i know a lot of people (who are pvpers i might add) who will do likewise.

We cant have PvP without raiding. Raiding is a major function of Chaos. We do not want this half pve and half pve at all. As horton said the population went from 20 tops to 70 tops when FULL pvp was introduced, not this half and half crap.

I wont be playing untill we get full pvp - And i know a lot of people (who are pvpers i might add) who will do likewise.

Amen brother.

Bye then, it would be easier to remove the server. Wurm needs to lower the number of servers, good place to start would be Chaos since people are quitting anyway.

How can people continue to rationalize keeping up that server with less than 20 people playing it.

Apparently not, I've tried but my alliance has not yet declared war at none for the moment.

From the wiki: If a player is a Mol-Rehan or Jenn-Kellon, type /release corpse(including the space)

to allow other players of the same kingdom to loot a player's corpse. Blacklighters can loot any corpse.

I may have tried to take a corpse of one player of my alliance, and that's why I could not pick it up.

So it is not said the last word, we await the response of Rolf

Edited by Davy

I will say it again here, pvp used to be centered around raiding because raiding was in the game. It forced people to live in large villages and in safe areas, which meant the only time enemies came in contact was during a raid. With the threat of village destruction gone, there can be more towns and they can be spread further out. With kingdoms out of the picture, it is more likely that potential enemies will live in the same areas. PVP can now be centered around randomness, personal differences, and access to areas/resources. This change looks like the best bet to breathe some life into this server. Hopefully corpse looting will be able to be implented properly, without that the available pvp would be less than sufficient to keep the server interesting.

For sure the ability to have more people on Chaos and different types of PvPers besides HardCore I think will help the population. As Rolf has said this is a first step in the changes and I am waiting until I see all the changes finalized to make a final judgement, but I think this is a good step in the right direction to have more players on Chaos.

Bye then, it would be easier to remove the server. Wurm needs to lower the number of servers, good place to start would be Chaos since people are quitting anyway.

How can people continue to rationalize keeping up that server with less than 20 people playing it.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. No matter what Rolf does to the server, the few people on it aren't going to be happy unless they get exactly what they want, which is usually things that most of the other Wurm players don't want. It would be easier to delete it altogether and focus on improving Epic and Freedom ,instead of splitting the PVP community into 2 segments (chaos and epic) and wasting time bandaging a dying server.

Edited by syncaidius

Hi,

I'm PvE only now (in Wurm), so plz take my opinion with a grain of salt ...

In my opinion Chaos could be a great "try-out" or "get-accustomed-to" server for Epic - or a "weekend-warrior" server for the Prem Freedom inhabitants. It seems that it has lost its former reason, no PvP anymore with some 20 inhabitants. Maybe we could create an separate island for them, on the GV/ Login server, maybe even a copy of the old Wild where they can whack each other forever, just like the few left GV dinosaurs?

Chaos in the Freedom Kingdom should have a goal, a reason for existence. What would this be?

No, not a different, maybe dumbed down version of Epic, THE new PvP server compound.

Right, getting ppl used to PvP, giving them an opportunity to snoop in, showing them what it's all about. After this, they should have to go to Epic, the place made to be the center of PvP, right? Where there's the action, and where the big boys are playing.

So, Chaos, once cleared of the old inhabitants, could be modeled to this goal:

• 2 large safe starting deeds, Black Light and White Light, at opposite corners of the map. Indestructible, and no PvP within. But unlimited amount of trees (Fo thingie like in New Dawn), and fast respawning ore/shards.
  • Both, BL and WL, would have all Gods available (maybe Fo for WL only as well as Libila as BL only?)
  • No other deeds, influence can only be enlarged with guard towers.
  • Outside the deeds is all open PvP (your party against the others), but you'd only loot 1/3 of what the victim carries. 1 chain boot, a small wooden shield, and 10 different seeds maybe ...
  • No riding, no large carts.
  • And all skills equal, maybe 30 -50, or whatever. Everyone has the same skills, and they don't rise.
  • Any crafting would stop at ~ 30QL, with an Epic-like curve.
  • Killing enemys, or accomplishing certain goals would earn you tokens, that you could use both on Freedom or on Epic to buy certain goodies - sculpting wands, skill bonus potions, whatever.

This now is only the thinking of a CareBear. You PvP fiends will enrage, I'm sure.

But think of it, plz. Having a PvP cluster as "Epic" and a PvE cluster as "Freedom" is quite self-explanatory, and, regarding the minuscule number of PvP-ready people now, any "Golden Valley for PvP", adding more participants, would be most helpful, agree?

Have fun!

Sign in to follow this