Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Animal Congestion Fix

Well, I decided to log in today to see what damage had been done. Of all horses that could have died, why did it have to be a few of my 4/5 speed traited ones on Elevation? They were all properly fed, groomed, and penned. :wacko:

I had 0 enchanted grass trampled on either server that I play on and 0 horse deaths. So far so good.

Edited by Tryfaen

I can not understand why Rolf constantly takes steps backwards. Getting to level 7 on path of love takes months already. Now we have to replant enchanted grass occasionally..... Yet another update making this game more of a chore than played for fun. I have so much more to do in game than keep watch over my herd constantly. This game has great potential but right now I am so annoyed with so many steps backwards.

For what it is worth folks:

Last night I was concerned all the horses were jammed on what enchanted tiles I had, with hardly any regular tiles packed as they usually would be. I was wondering if the animals congestion on a couple of tiles would cause disease issues because the animals appeared to be ignoring the rest of the pasture. In this case 11 horses on a 22 tile area.

This morning however the horses were all spread out as they should be. I had three regular tiles packed this am after replanting two approx six hours ago. Rest of the pastures followed suit with ZERO diseased animals.

As vocal as I am it is only fair for me to say things are looking good for us on this end so far. With all the stories of "old code" changes and the results experienced from said changes, and hearing some of the "results" posted in this thread, well to be honest I feared the worst this AM. So bottom line looking good, and normal, so far....once again we put a lot of effort into our animals...but also once again things appear to be "as they should be."

And what a nice surprise, on another note, to find the GL-Freedom chat....nice surprises all around this morning I am glad to say.

Have fun :)

Edited by Crovak

All of my horses are alive and well, not a disease in sight amongst my herd of 50. I like to think (though its probably not true) that it's because i always kept them nice and spread out in large farms :)

At least 50 animals with no disease or death. All animals are in 1x3 pens with 2 or 3 animals in each one. I use farm tiles and don't have any enchanted tiles or grass for that matter. I never groom, although out of fear I have been spamming Humid drizzle every 12 hours.

Sure its business as usual but that business is players keep way to many animals ( yea im guilty, the dumb breeding system need lots of animals to get decent results). The part I'm sad about is nobody seems to want to embrace the idea of compensating players ( shorter birth length, exponentially more resources) for the nerfs necessary to get domestic pets down to a count where wild things will start to spawn again, nope, its all nerf nerf nerf talk.

I don't think this is all that complicated, would reward players for being responsible, and it doesn't change the breeding scheme much:

20 baby births ( likely 40 parents) with an on average 7 days wait is about 2.85 (20/7) babies per a day. If we where to decrease birth wait to on average to 1.75 days (4x reduction on the 7 days, or 25% of 7) we could achieve the same babies per days ratio with about 5 births ( likely 10 parents) ( x animals / 1.75 days = 2.85; x ~ 5). Then borrow some code form the reveal mechanic create a new population density measurement. Every time a toon breeds an animal use the mechanic to assess population and reward low population areas with shorter breeding times.

Edited by joedobo

My horses and cows are all healthy.

Increasing the penalty for overcrowded or ungroomed animals is good

Thank you for doing this! Been noticing more wild non-agros lately!

0 dead here. Total of 8 horses and 1 hellhorse.

Edited by bp1986

If disease is this lethal, why the change to enchanted grass?

If disease is this lethal, why the change to enchanted grass?

Maybe the effect of the enchanted grass was not intended when it comes to how the game was designed with its current hardware and software and how many animals there are? What ever the reason my initial take is that those who put many animals into small spaces with enchanted grass might see some effects, Whereas those who give their animals space will see nominal effects.

No dead animals (We have over 100 but 90% are alone in a 2x1 tile pen) seems like it is just a problem when the pen's are overcrowded

Think when u keep the animals like the chickens here the risk of getting sick is huge (like 4 on one tile .p)

39782738057815529135922.jpg

Yup those chickens sure don't look healthy.

Why do you people need SOOOO many animals in your care? If congestion is a problem this is why obviously. Why not just limit the number of animals to deed size or per prem player. Is this the reason only spiders spawn? If the max number of passive animals is reached does it just spawn a spider instead?

Edited by Smokie

*sigh* there are many reasons people need more animals.

1: Animals die of old age now, so you must keep a stock up and keep breeding.

2. Disease has been buffed, so you need more animals if you don't plan on getting on every hour and grooming.

3. Aggressive animals attack ridden horses, so you need spares.

2. Disease has been buffed, so you need more animals if you don't plan on getting on every hour and grooming.

Don't forget the biggest NUMBER ONE reason....they want to keep them and breed....Selling Them for profit!! :)

number 2 is simply not true at all you do not have to groom them every hour to stop them from getting a disease.

That's not the biggest reason, Uber. Hardly anyone sells horses these days, and those that do don't make very much. There was a time when a 5 speed horse was guarranteed to go for AT LEAST 5s.... no you're lucky if you can get 1s for it.

That's not the biggest reason, Uber. Hardly anyone sells horses these days, and those that do don't make very much. There was a time when a 5 speed horse was guarranteed to go for AT LEAST 5s.... no you're lucky if you can get 1s for it.

You might be right I saw the post with tons of 5 speed horses for sale from one person seems the prolific breeding has toned the market down abit. I remember when they were rarer before everyone got higher AH and better traits.

so you cannot go out and tame more when they die? die of old age? how long does a animal live?

"tame more when they die".... We're takling about bred horses, hard to get from scratch, they live pretty long but still die.

Don't forget that hell horses are now the easiest way to keep your deeds lit too, certainly compared to requiring ugly olive tree farms and needing to harvest them during each very short olive season.

So that's a new reason for needing many animals.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, June 25, 2012 - flamebaiting
Hidden by KaiH, June 25, 2012 - flamebaiting

Don't forget that hell horses are now the easiest way to keep your deeds lit too, certainly compared to requiring ugly olive tree farms and needing to harvest them during each very short olive season.

So that's a new reason for needing many animals.

LOL!! yeah ok.......keep over breeding see where that gets ya.

It has been 2 months since this "fix".

Did it help on any server? On Deliverance I haven't heard of anyone finding non-aggros in the wild (except those spawning from lairs of course). The steppe only has 50+ hell horses.

Did all the evil animal hoarders giant hoards die out? If not, what is the next step?