Sign in to follow this  
Darkmalice

New Server Announced Via Rolf Email

One thing you all forget... it's Rolf's game and he can do whatever the heck he likes with it! I'm a developer too and run a paid membership site. It's not a game but I still have pain in the ass customers that I'd like to punch in the face lol! At the end of the day I do what's good for the business and for me overall, and invariably some things piss people off. :-) Maybe Rolf just fancied a new server just because, and that's his right to do that!

Hopefully the furore will calm down now, I held back from replying much yesterday as I was worried it would only add flames to the fire. If its a good idea or not who can really say, however if this was announced say 6 months ago before it had been planned and finished then I could understand the discussion around this but yesterdays announcement was just that, an announcement of what is going to happen. Any suggestions beyond that are completely mute at this point, maybe we can just accept this is happening and continue playing our fun, albiet little game.

I will say this however, never in any game I have played since SWG's NGE have I seen a single individual be personally attacked on an almost continual basis by a large segment of the community, it never has nor will it ever be, a good thing.

Edited by York

It's unreal how badly players explode over a new server, and it's no surprise that most of them are the same players that complain about nearly every update, and most of those players will be minimally affected by it at worst. You guys seriously need to bring it down a notch. This wasn't an attempt to bring in more subs, and it wasn't some drunked up idea Rolf had last night. It's a celebration of everything that has happened recently, and for me it's a celebration of how far Wurm has come and looking forward to many more years of playtime, so please, can we get to celebrating now?

For me and most of the players a new server is no way a celebration. Multi story houses 3d mines animations would be. Maybe just maybe opening GV as ive said before would be the best.

Edited by atazs

Actually, it will most likely be the veteran players that go to the new server, just to set up yet another deed (and in the prime locations), so they can sell to the new players that come along. Some vets will go in just to kill the uniques. The hunters will leave as soon as the uniques are all gone, and the other vets will have another outpost where they set up to sell, but really aren't around much. It's happened that way every time so far, why should it happen any different this time.

I agree. This is what happens for the most part with every new server that opens. The Players like myself, that crave wilderness, will not find that for many months on Celebration Server. It's easier to find wilderness on an old server to be honest... even if manyof the ore veins are spent and ruins are everywhere. Only people you forgot to mention are the Road Builders ... lol. The will have their fun as always.

About this "new" server... it's not new. If I remember correctly from last year, this new server has been waiting in the wings for Rolf to just turn it on. It was created and put south of Exodus last year in case Exodus population exploded with new players and a rise in overall game population. I remember Rolf mentioning it. It's location was already fixed back then so to re-align it with the PvP cluster now may just cause alot of headaches.

Celebration Server's opening was predictable this summer as many new people fresh out of school take the time to try out Wurm. Let's hope that happens, because even I see the benefits of more Players in Wurm (and it has nothing to do with trade or making silvers).

Edited by Kyrmius

SWG's NGE

I never played SWG personally, but I remember the furore when that happened.

What has happened recently is basically Wurm NGE, it no longer feels like the Wurm I fell in love with 3 years ago. Everythings a big mess currently, and I wish Wurm would just revert most of the unpolished changes that has come in during the past 3 years.

There must be some coding related reason why the servers fall in line north-south like that.

Not really, Chaos is to the West and the Epic cluster is T shaped.