Sign in to follow this  
Joanavon

Reeds, Papyrus, Kelp, Ink.

With the confusion and blackout of wiki/forum news due to the unfortunate actions of people to pathetic to mention I have a few questions:

1. What is Kelp for?

It's described as: A brown algae long and slimy with air bladders clearly visible.

I know that .5kg of reed FIBER in a (Non) fruit press gives a papyrus sheet and carving knife on a reed PLANT give the pen and have heard that Octopus sacs from OBSCENELY hard to find tiles requiring a very high and likely to become very expensive pendulum and Lurker cast to even find them give you black ink. I

Is that the only way to get (Any color) ink?

If it is then it's almost a cruel joke to implement something so fundamentally useful then lock it up behind a stupidly hard to find item that is only really obtainable by the elite few.

Don't worry, a somewhat-replacement for ink is going to be added I think.

I heard someone in Kchat last night who was trying out dyes in a pen, different colored inks would be very nice!

i tried dyes and they won't work it says you need something more "Special" the dyes will fit into the pen but it won't inscribe

Nice to know.. hope we get an easier interface to inscribe in as well ;) e.g. one that allows comma's full stops, and is multiline!

Hear hear, otherwise I might as well go back to my large anvil that I rename for village messages.

Good to hear on the Ink issue. But what's kelp for?

[20:38:50] A brown algae long and slimy with air bladders clearly visible.

Growing under water like reeds I can't seem to press it like reed fiber nor pluck seeds or crush it

Not entirely sure about Kelp. I'm sure it has some place in Zcul's plan to take over the world.

And a better editor for messages is in the works. Due soon.

On the Inks. This is a Snip from an IRC chat I had with Zcul (note I Started talking to him about the Get price of papyrus and Will start a thread to ask community feedback on it)

[15:33:29] <Zcul> alright i will adjust it, large padlocks sounds about reasonalbe then

[15:34:08] <sincor> Thanks for the Papyrus - its a really nice Addon. (If I caan now only find an octupus site rather than getting ink mailed form Indi)

[15:34:22] <Zcul> yea, if you got some feedback on that i can fix it

[15:34:32] <Zcul> i made dye first but i kinda want it to be abit exclusive

[15:34:45] <Zcul> so we changed it to octopus ink

[15:35:21] <Zcul> maybe we can make black ink for a limited number of characters, then for the big inscribed pages you require high end octopus ink. Just a thought

[15:35:28] <Zcul> blackink->black dye

[15:35:47] <sincor> Might Be a nice idea as Black dye are hardish to make.

[15:37:04] <sincor> I even went as fars as To accenntly COC mu reed pen

[15:37:36] <sincor> But now the Q is is there a way for you to check that the Dye is balck with the RGB codes?

[15:37:37] <Zcul> what did you expect from that?

[15:37:58] <sincor> Nothing , I casted it on the Wrong item.

[15:38:47] <sincor> and Idea that player in Kchat came up with is Coal + Water for low ql ink 0 Jyst an idwa

[15:38:59] <sincor> *just and Idwea

[15:39:07] <sincor> *idea

[15:39:12] <Zcul> ya

Reading up on ancient inks they refined Lye to borax , added coal dust and fine pieces of lead to make some inks. and all 3 those items are in game. (a Pencils afrikaans name is a potlood this meaning a pot of lead.)

And kelp has an excellent use for me. I use it to mark a BSB for Fill with Dirt. :lol:

We should at least strive for this if not make papyrus paper better > Given comparable skills, tools and resources ql's, a lock maker and papyrus sheet maker should be able to turn out about the same favor given a window of time.

Locks are volume wise smaller and on average their qls are higher then ropes. The good getprice ropes are very hard to make, consequently they on average end up being low quality. Don't forget Papyrus sheets take more material and require special underwater tiles that for the most part can't be created just anywhere. While the 0.5 getprice constant might be high, we should be looking at this in a more balance and mathematical view. Another path for priests to choose for sac items would be a welcome addition. Paper would be a great candidate for Vynora's double favor item. Yoyos aren't worth making even with the double favor reward.

Finally, It annoys me that a single person gets to influence a dev via private PM on what the get price should be for papyrus sheets.

I can almost guarantee kelp will be used for glass.