Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Why I'm not scared

Some people seem to be thinking “this is the end” or something. That Wurm has started some unstoppable downhill ride.

It’s normal of course. These types of events have happened before. The forum was hacked several years ago, we’ve had all out disk wipes, I’ve forced impopular mass migrations. All these events made us lose huge chunks of our player base - some due to impopularity but also because people thought ‘this is the end’.

It’s the same meaningless fear this time as well.

Even after the recent losses, we’re still less than 10% away from our top premium count ever just after the Epic release.

Wurm can’t die. We’ve made sure it can’t with low minimum costs. We can keep all servers up with something like 200 premium players left. We can start consulting to bring in money. We are buying graphics development for our money today which we can slow down on. There’s lots to do to bring in new customers. We’ve barely started reaching out.

Not to mention the upcoming changes. We’re developing fancy schmancy cutting edge stuff like multi storey buildings and there are huge graphical improvements coming.

You’ve seen the potential of Wurm: rivers shaping the landscape, lakes freezing over in the winter, multi level dungeons. We can do all that in our engine - it just takes time and debugging. Just a few other new games can that but none have the basic features tested like we do which gives us a huge advantage.

Many of our users have seen the power of terraforming, player made history and true online persistance and lack it when they play other games. That’s why so many of you return time after time despite it being crude and unpolished.

That’s why I’m not worried. Wurm always rises despite these hits!

View the full article

Sign in to follow this