Sign in to follow this  
jackbeau

Can CA helper view chat logs?

Can CA helper view chat logs?

I was explaining a minor event to a CA helper and he said he knew all about it.

I said: [22:06:03] <Jackbeau> odd, how do you know about the yelling when you wer'rent even logged in?

He said: [22:06:21] <Allenkey> Community assistant ;)... Superpowers :D

Just trying to confirm if CA helpers can actually view chat logs when they are not online.

I thought CA helpers were only here to help answers questions.

I can't seem to find what CA helper actually do or not....

Any page i can read?

Jack

Never assume that a CA is not online in one form or another.

Only the Shadow knows...

how do you know he wasnt on, his name wasnt in the CA tab? he can still be on but have the CA power turned off.

It's also reasonable that public chat logs are saved to a server somewhere, like we can save them locally. I'm sure CAs and GMs have the authority to access them, if this is the case.

Only speculation though, and it's more likely that s/he had their CAship switched off at the time, or was on an alt or something (since the logs I mentioned - if they exist - seem like a  tedious thing to use!)

I can understand maybe if a GM could see chat logs from anyone at anytime.  However, if I thought that a CA could I'd be having to have second thoughts about this game for a great many reasons.  I do not think they have that ability though.

I think the guy thought he was being cute.  He failed.  He stirred up a hornet's nest that shouldn't be stirred.  He was either online and not in the ca tab (which they can turn off) or he was on an alt.  Which is how a professional would have answered.  Clearly this is something that needs work.

Talking to other people is power, listening to them is super power. ;)

Which is how a professional would have answered.  Clearly this is something that needs work.

CA's are not professional like the GM staff. If this almost inhuman act committed by a CA (aka joking) is giving you nightmares, i would report him to Oracle

maybe someone else showed him the logsalready, maybe he had an alt logged in, etc etcetcetc

I think the guy thought he was being cute.  He failed.  He stirred up a hornet's nest that shouldn't be stirred.  He was either online and not in the ca tab (which they can turn off) or he was on an alt.  Which is how a professional would have answered.  Clearly this is something that needs work.

Get over yourself. Seriously. This is a game.

We are not professionals, although we strive to maintain a professional attitude. Joking is not a sin.

• Like 1

Most likely saw it on another character, or had a friend copy/paste the chat logs to him.

I thought CA helpers were only here to help answers questions.

I can't seem to find what CA helper actually do or not....

Any page i can read?

I am more interested in how you have the power to know who is online when, as this post seems based on your knowledge of said CA not being online during the incident.

Community Assistants are experienced players who likes to help new players (and for various reasons prefer an official tag). They have no special powers except the ability to mute and mutewarn players, and not all CAs want to have this ability or use it. Their primary function is to assist new players with any questions they might have. I also guess they have access to the GM forum on this board and possibly a chat channel in-game for easier contact with GMs, in order to easier bring issues to the attention of GMs but that is merely a guess.

I think that Oracle should probably put up a post in the GM Hall forum describing the functions of CAs in order to avoid confusion. Maybe the CA help channel should also be explained in the tutorial along with the functions of CAs so new players know what to expect.

After reading all the replies i'm guessing that the CA was using an alt.

My main question was about where do I find more info about CA.

I think it should be part of the tutorial and fully explained in the rule/forum/etc.

CA Helpers are very, very important but they need to be professional not jokers.

Hoping to see a page somewhere soon that explains CA or GM rules, powers, and guidelines.

CA is a title provided to people willing to put up with the abuse it inevitably generates from some players in the interests of helping the game. The function this provides isn't so much answering the questions (as they could do that without a title) but it helps newer players to know who to trust on occasion (as trolls are everywhere), but also gives them more of a sense of security, that staff members are in the game, keeping an eye on things.

All staff are volunteers and the stance I've taken, is be yourself in kchat (jokey, whatever, so long as you maintain a good image), but be more professional when answeing questions in CA Help. OK, I know I've not always stuck to that ridgidly, sometimes I can't help myself with a funny answer [i don't beleive anyone has ever escaleted a complaint about me to Oracle], but I see no problem with the reply given in the OP's example (you never said where that took place - PM, kchat, CA Help, local?), there is no reason for us to provide detailed information on the staff powers and how we function in that depth.

Some CA's have CM abilities too, or moderation powers. So mutewarns, mutes, orange text etc. to help maintain control when the global chats get out of control.

Full GM powers will never be listed for the public eye as many are used to determine culprits in griefing cases, macros etc etc. and we're not going to allow people to try and find loopholes by telling them what we're capable of.

The guidelines for how the staff operate are extensive, and often being updated and discussed. I don't see the need to post that up publically. If you're not happy with how a staff member is behaving, report it to Oracle. If we feel that there is a valid case for that behaviour being unnacceptable, we will update the guidelines if it's not already in, and if it is already in, the incident is dealt with as appropriate.

As far as the tutorial goes, There are already numerous threads about the tutorial being too long and wordy, and there are more sections to come. Adding another couple of pages on details of the staff seems a little over the top to me. There are already signs up suggesting that players use CA HELP if they have queries about game mechanics. If people can't figure out what CA next to a name means from that, they generally ask, and that happens about once or twice a month that I witness.

• Like 2

What comes to my mind is why the OP is concerned if CA's can view chat logs other than being live to see them. It is always best to refrain onself from saying anything in local and kchat that would put yourself in a bad light, would be in violation of the TOS and generally sturring up a hornets nest just for the sake of it. To think that Wurm staff can not review ALL in game communication at a later date is naive at best.

The internet offers no real privacy other than encrypted messages and online gaming even much less than general email usage, search engines, ect. Everyone should be aware of this and conduct themselves accordingly; therefore, I find the original OP's questioning to be pointless with the above knowledge.

Staff who run online games will do things that the common players will never know of, nor do they owe their customers any explanation about it. Players will always be responsible for their comments in game, so keep them within reason and you will have nothing to be concerned about. If you want private communication don't ever fool yourself into thinking that you will have it within an online game, nor even via the internet if not encrypted.

=Ayes=

Misrepresenting features is sometimes considered a very serious offense, depending on Rolf's mood I guess.

I can very well see reason for CAs to have access to chat logs.  Since they do have the ability to mute players, it would only make sense they can see all of a conversation before making a decision to act.  The OP is just trying to cause an issue when there really isn't one, unless it is the imagined invasion of privacy.  You are playing a game on a company server, they have the right to examine ALL conversations.  You want privacy, stay off the internet.

I might be reading this 4 years late, but when I was a CA, Jackbeau was my neighbour... And yes, my deed was composed of more than myself... People DO talk around deeds. Hence why I gave that funny answer.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 9:58 PM, Allenkey said:

I might be reading this 4 years late

5 years :D

/pedantic