Sign in to follow this  
Oracle

How about these cookies ?

Was rambling through some forums , came accross this. Bit extreme perhaps, but not far away from how games will have to go in the future it seems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article

"A post on the EA Support Forums from APOC, online community manager for Electronic Arts, outlines a new policy for their new forums, saying users who earn a ban based on their behavior in the forums will be locked out of all of the EA games tied to that account:

'Well, its actually going to be a bit nastier for those who get banned. Your forum account will be directly tied to your Master EA Account, so if we ban you on the forums, you would be banned from the game as well since the login process is the same. And you'd actually be banned from your other EA games as well since it's all tied to your account.

So if you have SPORE and Red Alert 3 and you get yourself banned on our forums or in-game, well, your SPORE account would be banned to. It's all one in the same, so I strongly recommend people play nice and act mature. All in all, we expect people to come on here and abide by our ToS. We hate banning people, it makes our lives a lot tougher, but it's what we have to do.'"

:o

I want to comment on this so badly, but I'll resist with all the mods just waiting to pounce :>

I am not a fan of Banning at all. At least not permanent Banning.

People can be really dumb. Many people get into a gaming community before they mature. They do dumb things just like the dumb things they may do in real life either because they haven't learned better or haven't been taught better.

But people do grow up and learn. They learn the truth about "cool", they learn what people might expect from them or allow from them. Taking them away from the community that can help teach them will only make it harder for them to learn. I personally have seen this alot in my time in the gaming community. Sometimes people are simply "acting dumb" or "acting like a complete jerk" because they have the impresion based on their brief exposure to some of the more imature communities and the people in them that , that is the way they are expected to act. When in reality they are decent folk that "can" learn from their mistakes and will learn from them given the opportunity to continue to stay in the community.

The Wild Wurm community is really a good example of this. Since the community is so involved in what is allowable and fair, quite often troublesome people are taught what is acceptable without GM intervention. It is not always a CM that says don't use that language on kingdom chat... sometimes it is the leader of a town that puts forth rules and or guidelines that must be followed. And people may make mistakes and some even booted from their town, but they might learn from it and miss their friends and grow to where they could become a good part of another town or someday return to where they were.

Also, linking a forum account for one game to another game is completely wrong imo. Again many people are playing a role.. the role often is only the role they play in one gaming world and they may be complete sweethearts in another place... and would never be considered one that would do a banable offence.

I always kinda thought highly of EA... but this is poor judgement at its worst.

this is great, zero tolerance to disrespectful people.

when I saw : How about cookies? I first tought: YAY FINNALY DEV ANSWERED to my cookies as a new cooking item :/

but now.. I'm sad x[ you talk about totaly different cookies

I can only see this being reasonable for an mmo where people interact with each other.

Taking away the ability to play a single player game gives too much power to a moderator.

if they intend on carrying through with this ...

well, i was going to say that they should have a pretty good appeal process to catch the bans that shouldn't be, but then it's EA... so losing a few good customers while getting rid of the bad probably doesn't concern them.

lol@EA

A crack was made+released for Spore the day it was released (I bought + returned), I got one for Red Alert 3 as well even though I bought the game.

They're actually driving people who would otherwise buy these games...

They have to make it so you need to buy the game again if you're banned.

I can only see this being reasonable for an mmo where people interact with each other.

Taking away the ability to play a single player game gives too much power to a moderator.

Angel, I can't comprehend everything you type. Lol, anyway a good idea is to do the opposite of whatever EA is doing since right now they are losing money.

I think perhaps a more "fair" option for EA is to ban all access to online content rather than ban the person playing their games. I mean you payed for the game why should a stupid comment on a forum stop you playing?

Anyway that's just my 2 cents

People can be really dumb. Many people get into a gaming community before they mature. They do dumb things just like the dumb things they may do in real life either because they haven't learned better or haven't been taught better.

i agree. total and compete punishment like perma-ban means that the person does not improve from his mistakes. That is a sign of totalitarianism, no mercy for crime whatsoever, it reminds me of the book 1984.

when I saw : How about cookies? I first tought: YAY FINNALY DEV ANSWERED to my cookies as a new cooking item :/

but now.. I'm sad x[ you talk about totaly different cookies

i thought the same thing, i was sayind to myself "Yay! Polan will be excited about this!" and then i was disapointed...

So whats this master ea account? I always create a new ea account for every single game because i dont remember the login details for the other ones :P

By the way, EA has the messiest homepage ever, its just horrible.

But i still love EA because they invited me to an awesome party on the gamesconvention this year, with free beer, free bbq and everything <3

This was proven to be incorrect the person who made the comments came out and apologised.

These few words pop up in my mind.

Nazis, communists, freedom of speech. And the funny thing is, everyone rants about democracy these days.

Banning people for only incorrect offencive behavior is a good way to anger them. Anger the wrong people and you get you self an other hacked forum or even worse. But that isn't the point realy. If Wurm realy wants to go that way, they can see their community shrink even more. I always hated about the GM team that they can't tolerate critizm, and delete it because they can't seem to be bothered to argue. When that happens, the word "unfit" appears in my mind.

Angel, I can't comprehend everything you type. Lol, anyway a good idea is to do the opposite of whatever EA is doing since right now they are losing money.

That's because most of their games are crap.

That's because most of their games are crap.

Most people are boycotting EA games, I agree with this and suggest you guys do it so. I will never "buy" a game from EA again. *WINK*

This was proven to be incorrect the person who made the comments came out and apologised.

For your interest, EA appology.

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?messageID=4409947