Sign in to follow this  
Budda

Howto: Wurm Client via Steam

I know there have been a few people requesting a way to do this over the last few years, and I just had an idea on how to make it work, tried it out and it does.

So if you want to run Wurm through Steam (with the overlay working perfectly), read on.

Step 1:

Install the Wurm Client of your choice: (stable) (unstable) (test)

Step 2:

Open up the javaws cache viewer:

To do this, open up the command line (or terminal) and enter the following:

javaws -viewer

Note: if it comes back saying javaws is not recognized as a command, you will have to point it to your javaws.exe, normally found here: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin

"C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin/javaws.exe" -viewer

etgTE.png

Step 3:

With the cache viewer open, choose the Wurm Client install you want in Steam.

Right click and select "Install Shortcuts"

This will install a shortcut to run the client to your Desktop and Start Menu.

c0peK.png

Step 4:

Open up Steam and add a new Non-Steam Game.

Select Browse and find your javaws.exe (normally in C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin)

(You can add a Non-Steam Game by going to the Games menu up top and selecting "Add a Non-Steam Game to my Library..."

Right click this "game" you have just added, and select Properties.

You will see three boxes straight up: the name, "Target" and "Start in".

Change the name to whatever you like (I suggest "Wurm Online").

Go back to your Desktop, right click the new shortcut you just made, and select Properties.

You will now see a window that has the Target and Start In locations for the shortcut.

Copy them both over to the Steam window.

When copying over the Target to the Steam window, make sure the first part (everything up to the end of "javaws.exe") is in quotation marks as shown in my image below.

McEqQ.png

You can then choose a new icon if you want, and click close.

NOTE: If it's not accepting the localfile stuff from the cache, you can change the Target for the Steam entry to:

"C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin/javaws.exe" http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp

(Customized for the client you want, and the location of your javaws.exe).

Doing it this way you need to set the Start In value to "C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin" or whatever your folder is

Step 5:

Select your game from your Steam list, and hit play.

The client you chose will then start up, first looking on the web for any updates to the jnlp file and downloading if necessary, then starting the game as per normal, with the added bonus of the Steam overlay.

Enjoy.

• Like 7

this is a good idea, i might do this when i get home, if anything its advertisement for wurm if people see you playing it and most people have a large amount of friends on steam.

I thought other might like to do this to, so I thought I'd bump and say I just followed your guide and it worked perfectly. Very convenient for taking screenshots, and converting a few of your friends to the Wurm way of life at the same time!

I will try this, also, this should be in the guide section shouldn't it? :P

Good guide. I've tried this on two occasions in the past however and both times it ceased to work after the next client update. I'll try again.

Good guide. I've tried this on two occasions in the past however and both times it ceased to work after the next client update. I'll try again.

If you make the shortcut point to javaws.exe and put in the properties the link to the jnlp file you want to use, it'll go via that instead of the cache version (which seems to break with each update).

cool thanks worked without a hitch

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

This is all great, but now we need a thread for Xfire, raptr evolve desura... lol maybe we should get a "checkbox" poll and see who uses what :)

does this work for Mac? and if so any changes i need to do?

This wont let steam keep track and show you how many hours you play would it? Id love that.

This wont let steam keep track and show you how many hours you play would it? Id love that.

I don't think it will, but you can already view your total in-game time with the chat command "/time"

I've got the problem where every few days I need to redownload the little client app from the website.

will putting it on steam help? or am i going to have to do this repeatedly?

I've got the problem where every few days I need to redownload the little client app from the website.

will putting it on steam help? or am i going to have to do this repeatedly?

Create a shortcut, make it go to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaws.exe" http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient_unstable.jnlp

(might have to adjust the path to javaws.exe, or change it into stable client)

Dunno if that will work with Steam though

How to link Wurm to Steam

MpNUNDH.png

Just keep in mind, WU is different game than WO - it will most likely not connect to official servers.