Sign in to follow this  
Saddist

forges and ovens should produce ash

forges and ovens should produce ash, and alot of it..... especially when they go out.

• Like 4

How should the ash quality be determined? From the forge and fuel ql?

Would all fuel types produce ash

Currently its possible to make lots of meals in an oven just using a single kindling...

I think you can get ash just by making a campfire with kindling as it is. I see no purpose to the suggestion other than making lye too easy to produce.

Disclaimer: That image is just a concept. Please keep that in mind.

That looks pretty advanced. I'm wondering how that hood would be made and for what purpose too. If that was an advanced forge that was hard to make, using steel etc then it looks good to me too, even producing ash. :P

I think you can get ash just by making a campfire with kindling as it is....snip

that may be so

but still a forge and a oven should produce ash.

Disclaimer: That image is just a concept. Please keep that in mind.

It would flood the database with loads of individual ash - sure it's worth it?

Completely not worth it imo. Compared to the amount of hides that need lye, I think the balance is there now, in your bsb. Saddist is Trying to project reality in to Wurm but in this case there isn't a need. If you'd use 40kg of fuel which turned in to 10kg of ash (you asked for a lot), what would you want to do with it all? Mine would constantly be put in the trash bin, there'd Rarely be any need to keep an ash or two handy cause there'd be tiles full around forges. I'm sure there are uses irl apart from padding Out landfill sites. Small amounts of potash are good for certain plants and thats about the only use I can think of offhand. If 10kg could be placed as 1 dirt, that would be some reason at Least to bsb it. As it is, he's asking for massive quantities of something useless because it's more realistic. Even 1kg per advanced forge as proposed is just creating a waste product without another reason to use it, as I'm sure Mr. B knows.

Saddist, give some potential uses for it and it may become something worth looking at, imo. Lye doesn't cut it. :)

ash + animal fat + coal cooked in saucepan make soap :)

more uses for coal and ash here, good way to imp cooking perhaps.... and a totally useless item in the end unless it has some other use yet to be decided.

lye is caustic...... so theoretically it could be used in a trap.... wont damage armour but will damage people :)

ash has heeps of uses, and it wont clutter server much at all, i tend to dump my ash into a bsb anyway.

...lye is caustic...... so theoretically it could be used in a trap.... wont damage armour but will damage people :)

Corrosive traps use lye to make.  ;D

It would flood the database with loads of individual ash - sure it's worth it?

Like we don't flood the database with woodscraps and metal scraps already?

I think ash from forges and ovens is a good idea. +1

That's hardly a comparison. Woodscraps are used 20kg piles as fuel, preferedly so unless you have excess substandard logs. They also have other uses, making kindling being one of the more valuable ones. Metal scraps are invaluable for heavy items not reliant on ql such as fence bars or ribbons. These have both been implemented cleverly, a testament to the thought that's gone in to the details.

40kg of ash + 1x ql lead ore = Superior damage, lighter catapult ammo. Not the best idea ever yet it's a comparative reason to collect ash... and not the worst idea in this thread either.

(another use for lead too and ironically defending deeds would be far more likely to hoard these components, leaving a semi-useful bsb loot to continue a seige)  

TG - first building in and we hit the ash

Max - Any lead veins near guys?

DM - %&*$!

;D

snip... ash has heeps of uses, and it wont clutter server much at all, i tend to dump my ash into a bsb anyway.

Don't let us naysayers put you off. Please elaborate. :)

Couple of uses I came across on googling it:

* De-skunk pets. A handful of ashes rubbed into your hunter’s coat neutralizes the lingering odor from an unfortunate run-in.

* Hide stains on paving. Keep a can of ashes handy when you’re painting near the driveway or walks. Sprinkle a handful on wet paint spatters, then blend them into the concrete with a boot scuffle.

* Enrich compost. Before the organic mix is applied to soil, enhance its potassium content by sprinkling in a few ashes. But don’t over-do it. Ashes, like lime, raise the soil’s alkalinity, so avoid using them around acid-loving rhododendrons, azaleas and junipers.

* Block garden pests. Spread evenly around garden beds, ash repels slugs and snails. Dusted over growing plants, it keeps beetles and caterpillars at bay. But you have to have a BIG supply of ashes; they wash off in the next rain.

* Melt ice. Wood ashes add traction, and the dark color absorbs solar heat to melt ice without hurting the soil or the concrete underneath.

* Control algae in your pond or other “water feature.†One tablespoon per 1,000 gallons adds enough potassium to strengthen other aquatic plants that compete with algae, slowing its growth,

* Pump up tomatoes. For the calcium-loving plants, place 1/4 cup of ashes in each hole when planting, (Especially useful for onions and garics also)

* Clean fireplace doors. It seems counter to all logic, but a damp sponge dipped in the dust is said to be just abrasive enough to scrub away sooty residue from glass doors.

* Be a pioneer. Soaking ashes in water makes lye, which can be mixed with animal fat and then boiled to produce soap. If you’re happy with soft soap, you’re done. If you want bars, adding salt makes it harden as it cools.

* Shine silver. Another use for the abrasive quality of wood ashes is to make a paste with water for a dandy nontoxic metal polisher.

Maybe not all, but I do think a number of these could fit well in Wurm.

where there you go, traps are sort of pointless on freedom though, so its an area i have no knowledge about.

dosn't matter how much you burn in a campfire it only ever produces one ash.

in forges and ovens id like it to produce one ash for each 20+ kilo refuling.

surley it cant be that much of an ask.

25kg ash + 1x gravel = repair your mine floor up 1 dirt.

+1 it makes sense since i keep using 20-40 kg scrap wood yet its never full or has ash nomatter how much is put in ... lol