Sign in to follow this  
Guest Garnasha

spinning wheel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_wheel

invented between 500AD and 1000AD. That's about where we are wurm time. Way faster than spindles too.

Spinning wheel

10x string of thread

1x small wheel

1x leather pieces

2x spindle

1x plank

5x shaft

Cannot be picked up, can be moved. Creates 0.5KG strings of thread, 0.2 KG rags, from 0.7KG of cotton.

tailoring subskill: wheel spinning.

Determines speed and succes rate of making a string of thread if using a wheel rather than a spindle. Starts with lower succesrate and speed than spindles, but at 10 skill it got the same succesrate and takes 5 times as long(and produces five times as much), and after that it quickly gets a lot faster than spindles, and a bit higher succesrate. At 40 skill it is twice as fast as a spindle per KG of string, at 70 four times.

Good ole' Spinning Jenny :P.

The Tailorers Guild tried to banish it since their spindling skills would become obsolete XD. Ain't history a nice thing to know :)?

109-Spinning-Jenny-q75-1686x997.jpg

Great idea...just a small problem.

It'll put spindle-making newbs out of business....

why? Trader prices don't go down, and one wheel needs two spindles.

CHANGED my mind. -10.

Not that I'm big on hunting but being able to carry a light spindle is handy, especially for those of us who make low ql string/rags, if we can make it on demand we risk less waste of strings and rags rotting and using cotton needlessly.

make it more efficient, increase chances of maiking strings compared to spindles, less lost material

Make it like that, it'll be perfect

+1/2 Great idea, but needs revision

make it more efficient, increase chances of maiking strings compared to spindles, less lost material

like this?

Spinning wheel

10x string of thread

1x small wheel

1x leather pieces

2x spindle

1x plank

5x shaft

Cannot be picked up, can be moved. Creates 0.5KG strings of thread, 0.2 KG rags, from 0.7KG of cotton.

Spindles would still have a use they are apart of the machine and you can bring them and a peice of cotton with you when you go hunting.

+1

oh, that way. Can't think of one, but then again wurm is kinda young. I mean, irl there's loads of stuff made obsolete, but irl we have more than a thousand times as many years of high civilisations in which to render stuff obsolete :P. Anyway, like Kaethis pointed out, spindles will still be needed as part of the wheel, and you can't take a wheel with you.

A step forward.

Wrong. I'm asking if there are any items currently in Wurm that obsolete another item.

Pliers have been made Obsolete

Prayer skill is also Obsolete

This could be one of those prem only things that people beg for.  To use spindle it would require at least 30 skill in doing it by hand.  Heck, make it 50 or more so those who have spent the time would still retain an advantage.  Then maybe using the spinning wheel would make end products with less weight as well as faster production.  failures would consume a similar amount of material rather than waste the entire wad of cotton.  Of course, this new subskill would start at 0 too. 

Sure, you can't use it in the field, but it might be a prerequisite for future expansion such as clothing on the avatar.

Belaclya

Not sure... though, it might be nice, 30 skill prereq. Don't make it a clothes prereq though. Unless only the really luxery clothes, the ones that say "look at me, I'm so rich I can afford to waste time and/or money on clothes in outrageous amounts".

A step forward.

Wrong. I'm asking if there are any items currently in Wurm that obsolete another item.

Hatchet.

Hatchet.

Nice thread necro

Also you should mention what hatchets obselete. Small axes are (theoretically) for combat.