Sign in to follow this  
Ubai

MOAR MAJJIK PLZ!!!1111!! :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

Would there be a way to add "mmorpg style" magic to the game? I was fooling around with my UO shard the other day and I realized that the only thing WU is really missing is a decent magic system to give me nearly everything I enjoyed about UO (sure, WU's combat is a little clunky, but no worse than UO's), plus I would get better graphics and even more freedom!

I'm not expecting a modded magic system to have earth-shattering special effects or anything like that, and the system doesn't have to be exactly like UO's (Asheron's Call had a fun magic system too, and there is always D&D if you want to go super old school), but I think there are a few things it would need to be fun and also suitably "wurmy":

1) Reagents: spells should require materials that can be grown or harvested off of plants, creatures and minerals. More powerful spells should require more expensive and/or rare reagents.

2) Spell Books: Players can only cast spells they know, and they can learn spells from scrolls that drop from loot, or players who know the spell can craft a spell scroll for others. It would be nice if every spell book (which could be found or crafted) contained a default useful spell (magic missile!) for beginners. You could also have spellbooks hold a certain number of spells based on their QL.

3) Magic Skill (or skills): A plain old magic skill would be checked to see if the spell succeeds, or you could have multiple skills (life, war, etc. a la AC) for different schools of magic.

4) Fatigue: Casting should burn endurance. No endurance, no magic. (optional: when you run out of endurance you can cast but take health damage)

5) Wands and/or Staves: You could have wands or staves that give bonuses to a casting skill (or skills). It might be useful to have spells only be castable if you have a wand or staff equipped. Obviously, wands and staves should be craftable, with the QL affecting cast time, success rate, or other factors.

6) Interruption: spells can be interrupted by damage and special attacks, with the casting player's Mind or magic skill tested versus the amount of damage to see if they can keep casting.

I think a system like this should be configurable so server owners could turn on the features they wanted on turn off the ones they don't. It would also be nice if a spell template could be made so that different server owners could add or customize spells as well. It would probably be a big undertaking to get NPCs to use magic spells, but it would certainly be awesome if they did. Still, a system for players is the main thing.

I think something like this would be a lot fun for players and it could a really interesting dimension to a server. What do you all think?

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 1

yeah, I keep thinking about a mod to try and emulate mark, recall and gate travel. I've frequently thought about night sight has well.

As I remember one issue with spells is that there aren't many empty spots to add new spell types. Here they are listed com.wurmonline.shared.constants.Enchants. These end up getting passed to the SpellEffect object creation as the type.

I suspect that getting a new magic system to play nice with WU will be a major hassle, and that is even for the simplest of things. Magic spells that only work with custom content should work well. I just don't see someone adding a new custom combat system.

I figured it was a long shot, but then I'm always surprised by the ingenuity of modders. :) I was hoping there might be some tricky way around the built in limitations of the engine, like doing the spells as ammo for a weapon that looks like a wand or something sneaky like that.

It was more or less done in Darkwinter server. Spell books, staves, cast interrupts/silence, teleports with mark, even revival spell. Also morrowind like alchemy system, mob levels, player level and stat system...

Edited by Martynas5
punctuation fix

What game is played on Darkwinter? I don't see it on WU launcher list and google didn't help.

It is down for few months now.

this is thread, too bad first post with info is deleted..

Scadouge currently working on that gamecoma rift server afaik

Edited by Martynas5

Interesting, too bad the code isn't available for the magic changes. Such is the case I guess, folks who know what they are doing often don't like to share.