Sign in to follow this  
Legios

Memorializing the Fallen

So I've been exploring... I've been wandering the forums, I've seen a few signatures of people honoring their fallen friends and then I thought of this suggestion and I think it should be a part of Wurm and it's history. 

We have all heard and seen some hidden easter eggs in other video games where they honor their fallen gamers and I know Wurm has had it's few fallen great ones too.

My suggestion is basically a grave site, managed by CA/GM etc where one can put in a request for those in our community that have fallen in real life... and that they feel they should be remembered. With a note available for other players to read a little about what made that person so great. 

Edit: After some thought, I realized how hard it could be to know exactly if somebody has passed away without being very close to them, so I'd like to propose another option, 

Just like I stated above, a designated area protected and managed by a CA/GM, to highlight those we believe had a big impact in our Wurm community that have now retired the game with or without notice, with the requirements set for those that have not logged in, in a year or more.

Edited by Legios
  • Like 3

some of the time, people disappear and the grim fact is, warning was given by player before they vanished.
their closest friends in the game have to assume.
So, although this is best left unspoken, it does mean some of the time, when we nominate someone, we'll be wrong.
I have one name I and a more long term player are fairly certain is no longer with us, I'm told honours have already been served.
with him in mind. the same person that introduced me to this game.  (stonebrook/stoneman)
+1

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

It's an uncomfortable subject, indeed, It might open wounds that we have tried so hard to close. 

3 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

So, although this is best left unspoken, it does mean some of the time, when we nominate someone, we'll be wrong.

I understand this can become an issue, a vigorous amount of research or closely related people should be the ones submitting this information.

• Like 1

I believe this isn't needed on official level. Let those who want to build a memorial to their departed friend do it themselves and where they prefer. And of course if it's something remarkable, it could be made a heritage site.

Edited by zigozag
  • Like 2

Something with some permanence is a nice idea. We built a colossus and a small memorial area when Paultrw passed. Only downside of that is if all of us stop playing, the memorial area and eventually the colossus will decay away.

One thing that comes to mind though, is how would the team validate requests for a player to be added to the site? I know you mentioned a 1 year inactivity period, but what if a player was to return after that years inactivity and they have a gravestone, or whatever is added, to the memorial area.

+1 to the idea, just needs to be manageable from a GM/Admin perspective

1 year doesn't sound enough to me, people do take extended time outs sometimes and who is to say they haven't created and played with an alt?

How about something a bit different, maybe create an Island and call it  something like "Achievment Isle" with locked down perms where people can make things like a Collosus in their own deeds and then request a GM to move it to the Isle. These could be made for a whole host of reasons, maybe someone put a lot of hours in to help make a tunnel for the community that became GM protected, or where we know for sure that someone has passed. Anyone could visit the Island to view the creations.

Just a variation on the OP suggestion

Who remembers Mauz and how she had passed away? Is there any monument to memorialize her...I haven`t been to Mouse Hole for ages. Many players like her fade into the mists of history

-1 for me this IS one of those things that should be left out of games.

• Like 1

+ 1 Would be nice to see more beautiful gestures made by wurmians in game.I know of Davidbur who died,  and at one point someone griefed his memorial site . I'd support it.

Totally +1 this.

Places like Mouse Hole on Independence, and the Paultrw memorial on Serenity are a nice rememberance of people we knew, or people who were admired and known enough to be commemorated in this way.

I've seen similar things in other games, and it's nice sometimes to be able to reflect on the fact that there are real people behind the avatars and text we see in chat windows.

add the memorials to the starter deeds, that way they will be protected forever.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 0:42 PM, Mormo said:

Who remembers Mauz and how she had passed away? Is there any monument to memorialize her...I haven`t been to Mouse Hole for ages. Many players like her fade into the mists of history

I remember Mauz from AW because she used to build some cool stuff in there and then came to Wurm later. The thing is if this is some official game type memorial area who's to decide who should be memorialized there.

Maybe it should be something simple like that any player could put up a gravestone at any starter Village of someone who has passed away. Still, this would need to be monitored by GM's to remove crude names and such not even real player names. Only reserved for Wurm players too and not RL celebs and such.

=Ayes=