Sign in to follow this  
Shydow

Sea Salt

So, I had an idea the other day, and several others in chat also agreed with it.

Placing an amount of water in a copper still causes it to boil off, would yield a small amount of sea salt after a significant period of time. This new salt would be used as a replacement for salt mined in recipes. The salt could also come out at equal QL to the still, in order to encourage people to improve them.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 10

+1 would absolutely love having other ways to get salt.

Interesting idea, and would add to the options on getting salt.  Though it's generally not that difficult to find salt in mines, I can't see why this would be bad to add in game either.

Then it has a major conflict with the fact that every water in Wurm is drinkable, would be 2.0 level of Wogic. So -1 from me. :( 

+1, also i add this: forage/botanize over sand near water for kelp/salt and maybe some new item like seashells and other seafood too

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kadmint said:

Then it has a major conflict with the fact that every water in Wurm is drinkable, would be 2.0 level of Wogic. So -1 from me. :( 

+1 as long as water comes with quality ;) 

I am ever confused by drinking sea water, so i would more like the idea, that every open water gives saltwater (not usable without desalting), and fresh water is only coming from wells.

+1 if saltwater/freshwater were differentiated. Currently all water is freshwater though, so -1 unless that's changed.

15 minutes ago, Budzilla said:

+1 if saltwater/freshwater were differentiated. Currently all water is freshwater though, so -1 unless that's changed.

Everybody knows that wurmians are salty, which leads me to believe that the water in game already are salt water.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Budzilla said:

they are differentiated. Try fishing in the ocean vs fishing at a shore/lake. Would be cool if anything connected to the ocean was considered salt water (even canals and lakes they connect too)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jberg said:

Everybody knows that wurmians are salty, which leads me to believe that the water in game already are salt water.

Damn, with all the tears from noobs, and more tears from elders, surely now is all salt water.

Come on ppl, you already fish for mix salt/sweet water fishes...

yeah salt is to hard to obtain still, and grinding a 20kg rock salt to only get a few depending on milling skill really makes this suggestion worth taking notice.

Edited by Niki

So, if sea water became salt, and someone dig up the canal connecting sea with the lake, does the lake become salt too? How mechanics would recognize it?

Very hard to implement, in my opinion.

35 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

So, if sea water became salt, and someone dig up the canal connecting sea with the lake, does the lake become salt too? How mechanics would recognize it?

True. There's no sea water and no river/lake water. There's just water. But if it's implementable then yes please.

There is no saltwater in wurm(as said already), or you wouldn't be able to drink it.

2 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Well rivers are conected with oceans and i don't see they water is salty from it, why would wurm canal water be salty because conecting sea and lake

20 minutes ago, kochinac said:

Well rivers are conected with oceans and i don't see they water is salty from it, why would wurm canal water be salty because conecting sea and lake

We don't have rivers, canals only.

In river water flow form higher terrain to the lower, wich prevents of salt getting to the upper water section.

In canals all is on the same level, wich make waters getting mixed.

to be true, is the difference of the density of salt water and sweet water that makes them do not mix.
That said, i don't care at all if it's not "realistic" that i can drink that water and still get salt from it, game-wise is a way to give a bit of salt even to ppl that does not have high milling, thou trading for that salt may actually be better, maybe...

12 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Not really, thanks for saying in your opinion. The outer most tiles would be considered seawater and then a test can be made every server reset to see what tiles connect to the sea tiles. I don't know the most efficient way to do it, but out of the top of my head i would do the following: For the first time try, make the outermost water tiles sea water, and everything else fresh water. Then make a function that makes every sea water tile make an adjacent water tile seawater as well, and if the tile is not water, then keep it as fresh water. Have a loop and make this function occur until no changes to water tiles are made. That would make canals get seawater from the ocean, and the lakes to get seawater from canals. Lakes that aren't connected to the outermost sea tiles won't be converted to salt water. Only difficulty i can imagine would be canals that include tunnels, I hear the mining world is just a second world but idk what to believe o.o

+1 Nice idea, having salt water would be a good touch but not really necessary for now at least. ;)

On 6/26/2017 at 1:42 AM, Renate said:

I am ever confused by drinking sea water, so i would more like the idea, that every open water gives saltwater (not usable without desalting), and fresh water is only coming from wells.

What about all those new wurmians who don't have access to a well/fountain, nor the means to carry a lot of water with them? they cannot live forever in a starting town.

I like the idea of an alternative way of getting salt, but only as long as it doesn't affect new people's gameplay.

14 hours ago, Yiraia said:

Not really, thanks for saying in your opinion. The outer most tiles would be considered seawater and then a test can be made every server reset to see what tiles connect to the sea tiles. I don't know the most efficient way to do it, but out of the top of my head i would do the following: For the first time try, make the outermost water tiles sea water, and everything else fresh water. Then make a function that makes every sea water tile make an adjacent water tile seawater as well, and if the tile is not water, then keep it as fresh water. Have a loop and make this function occur until no changes to water tiles are made. That would make canals get seawater from the ocean, and the lakes to get seawater from canals. Lakes that aren't connected to the outermost sea tiles won't be converted to salt water. Only difficulty i can imagine would be canals that include tunnels, I hear the mining world is just a second world but idk what to believe o.o

I'm sorry but i still don't think lake would become salty... Since there is now clasic rivers and water flow in wurm lets asume that all water is at same level... I think its realistic that in that case only few canal tiles next to ocean become salty. The queston is whater the water when you dig hole to water level  is salty or normal but i think it should be normal.