Sign in to follow this  
Sklo:D

Wurm Unlimited and IPV6

Has any server administrator tried to use WU with IPV6?

I have got 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPV6 addresses but only 1 IPV4 address for my servers :D so obviously IPV6 could be very helpful.

Many ISPs still don't support native IPv6, or don't provide it to residential users, and the transitional solutions (teredo, etc.) do add some latency and aren't really suitable for gaming... So even if you could it probably wouldn't be a good idea unless you run both 4 and 6 at the same time (which just seems like extra pain for no gain).

The IP is transferred in the protocol in a few places, and that assumes ipv4 everywhere so it'll need to be changed.

Another question is whether steam server browser system supports IPv6... according to those docs, it doesn't look that way.

Yeah it seems that IPV6 isn't really here yet, the question it will it ever arrive when nobody is really preparing for it. Thanks for the answer, I found a ton more problems that could turn up. This is still a very long road.

The amount of ISPs that don't provide IPv6 support yet is disappointing. It is a major hurdle. In my day job all our infrastructure has been IPv6 complaint for a number of years now and well as all our network providers are but most customers can't utilize it. :(