Sign in to follow this  
Corvan

A new Beginning

((yep I have returned, with a indirect sequel of One Man Outpost. Have been toying with this idea in my head for awhile now and decided to start a new story here. Enjoy. One man outpost is still on here if you wish to read that. Fair warning it is a slow hard start but does pick up in later chapters))

The sounds of hoves on cobblestone echoed lightly in the small town of Kess. It was not a large town, a few dozen homes, Inn smithy surrounding farm lands. Much like that of any other small town. Mostly single story houses with a few larger estate homes showing in the center part of town, with the Inn itself at the center of town. 

The clopping sounds came from a horse trotting in, Black as a moonless night, stood out from many of the Blood Bay and brown colored horses. The rider of this midnight steed stoo out even more. Wearing a combination of Studded leather and chain with a Bear on his head. The man looked more like a wildling then a man. The last few weeks people have gotten use to the sight of this man every morning. Longish blackish hair. Paleish skin and the dull yellow eyes. Carrying a wooden round shield with a longsword at his hip and a long dagger at his other hip. Even within the Freedom Isles one should never travel without some kind of a weapon.

For these lands can be just as dangerous as the lands of the North, were this lone traveler hails from. War as sprung in the North lands for almost two hundred years, A more religious war between Whitelighters and Black Lighters, But when the Mol Rehan entered the fray for the resource rich lands, It became worse then ever. Spies and traitors dotted the once simple war torn land scape and now became a war of Sabotage and espionage. This man the Lone Rider once fought on either side..first the Black Light then the White light. Not because he was reilgious. He was once long ago..but now has turned from that life and sought solitude. Which only brought a second great war between the Black light and White light. Respective the Horde of  the summoned and the kingom of Jenn Kellon.

Now it is Chaos, no one to trust..this Lone Rider left his home and traveled to one of the more peaceful and quiet Freedom Isles as they are more commonly known as. He does not known the name of this land and truth be told, he does not care. It is quiet and he can finally have some peace..Or so he thought..for this Lone Rider is not just a Northman, But Corvan..A dark legend of his former people.

Stopping in front of the Inn within the town of Kess, Corvan hopped down and tied up his horse near the water trough and patted him on the side gently. "good boy..drink..rest.." speaking quietly, and still his voice sounded rough like rock on rock. Entering into the Inn Corvan approached the man behind the bar, for this Inn also served as the local tavern, and so would see plenty of business. 

Behind the counter was a large burly balding older man. Turning and seeing the lone figure. "ahh Corvan..usual morning breakfast is it?" Corvan only nodded as he took his seat at the bar counter. Setting the shield down against the bar and at his feet, he then leaned on the bar top on his forearms running his left hand through his hair pushing it out of his face. The pale yellow eyes showing in the morning shadow of the Inn along with a scar from his cheek down his neck disappearing into his tunic.

"So..Corvan..you have come here for weeks now..same food..same drink and leave..same time twice a day..have you found a home..or a place to build? If not..can offer you some work here" Asked the Inn keeper. "No Vicktor..I will make my home..I have found a place..south end of the land" Vicktor the Inn keeper nodded and chuckled. "Least you will be close..capable fighters are hard to come by in these lands" Corvan only smiled but said nothing as Victor continued on. "Layla dear..bring the stew..bread cheese and a flagon of mead"A young woman came out of the back with a large cup filled to the brim with the honeyed drink.

In her twenties with long redish hair to her mid back in a common brown dress that hugged to her curves well. She looked thin ish but was feed well enough and the dress also showed off her ample assets. Winking a bit at Corvan before setting it down and hurrying back to the back kitchen to prepare the rest of his meal. Corvan only smiled lightly and shook his head. "She likes you..you know.."said Vicktor quietly. "I can tell Victor..but..best she finds someone else..for her sake." Victor looked at Corvan with a puzzled look, many a man had sought his daughters affection but she had turned them down..and here is a man she liked..and yet he denies her affections? Thought Victor, but shrugged it off. Man has a right o his privacy.

A few minutes later the rest of his meal came out and Corvan thanked Layla quietly before digging into his morning meal. Barely a few minutes into it when a sudden ruckus occured outside, several sets of hoves pounding on the cobblestone as well as the shouts and laughter of several men. The look on Victor's face and Corvan knew instantly that this was going to be a bit more interesting then normal. Within seconds the group of men entered the Inn and continued with their loud conversation as Corvan returned to his meal to mind his own business.

Corvan could hear at least four or five sets of foot steps and looking back for a second confirmed this..five men dressed in various states of leather armor carrying short swords and one with a axe. Probably a couble of knives as well. "Thugs.."Corvan spoke to himself, luckily no one heard him as he returned once more to his meal.  Vicktor looked to the one in front and nodded. " Callius..that time of the month is it." Vicktor stated more then asked and the man known as Callius only smiled and then spoke. "Which is why we come to you first! you know the drill..monthly payments some supplies now and again and all is well. All the protection you will ever need! "With a slight sigh Vicktor leaned down to grab a small pouch of coin and set it down in front of Callius. With a smile he took it and tossed it too one of the men to his right, who caught it and packed it away. Just as Callius turned to walk out, he stopped and noticed Corvan, who was ignoring him completely. "Who is this? A new customer Vicktor? For shame..you did not introduce us to your new friend..and tell him that their is a entrance fee into this town that is under our protection." Vicktor could only close his eyes and shake his head, he had a feeling this was going to turn out very bad the moment he heard them arrive.

Corvan only continued to eat and drink ignoring the man. Callius looked down at him and glared before using his hand to gently move the plate out of reach and over the back of the counter and onto the floor were it crashed. Looking at the empty spot skill, Corvan sat their for a few seconds still not looking at him. "Now..that i have your attention Outsider..One silver coin..pay up or get beaten up and thrown out of town." Callius stated as the men started to draw their weapons. "Callius..please..no trouble." Vicktor begged but Callius only hushed him with a glare. When he looked back to Corvan, he was staring into a pair of Pale yellow eyes with a look of pure anger and hatred. Callius only laughed. "aww..we upset him..tell you what..fifty copper now and fifty tomorrow." Callius went to pat Corvan on the head like a scolded child, and the moment his hand touched Corvan's head, the situation turned deadly.

Like a bolt of lighting Corvan stood up and grabbed Callius by his head and slammed it so hard into the bar counter Callius head broke the wood and got stuck for a few seconds before his body fell to the floor with a crash. Drawing out his dagger, Corvan then turned to  the nearest of the other four men, a tall lanky man with a short sword and drove the dagger into his chest, by now the other three had realized what happened and drew their weapons as well and turned to attack Corvan all at once. Leaving his dagger in the mans chest, Corvan caught the hands of the man wielding the axe trying to cut Corvan down the Center, Turning into the man, Corvans shoulder bashed into the mans chest sending him flying to the ground gasping for air and using the axe to catch a short sword turning the blade and then locking the two weapons together, whichthen allowed Corvan to yank the weapon from his hand and then driving the butt of the axe into the mans face causing his nose to break and the man to fall. 

Hearing a scream Corvan turned to see the last one standing currently swinging at him in a wide left to right arch which Corvan swung the axe and hit the blade away with the head of the axe before spinning with it keeping with his Momentum and driving the axe into the man's neck just above the shoulder. Leaving it in the man's neck as he fell  to the ground gurgling loudly as blood filled his lungs.  Turning now to see the former axe wielder getting to his feet with a Knife in his hand, Corvan drew his sword which sang loudly as the metal drew out and shined with a dark tint. In a instant Corvan drove the blade into the man's chest and out his back leaving it there and turned to the man with a broken nose screaming in pain. Without waiting Corvan grabbed the dagger from the chest of the man he stabbed only half a minute before and turned to use it on the man who saw him coming and tried to get up and run. Corvan dropped on top of him and repeatedly drove the dagger into his chest before stopping after several deep strokes. Breathing deeply Corvan felt he had finished his work when he then felt a knife drive into his shoulder. Grunting in pain and rolling away before getting to his feet quickly grunting from the knife in his upper back. Callius had woken up and managed to his feet with a knife. "Now..you die.."Corvan Growled as he reached behind him to pull the knife from his upper shoulder, luckily it was within reach. His own blood dripping as Callius looked on in horror before he tried to run for the door. Corvan turned and tackled him through the door breaking it open and landing on top of Callius before driiving the knife into his chest several times, and for good measure once into his skull, leaving it there.

Walking back in spottly covered in blood and dripping his own out his upper back, the look on Vicktor's face said the entire story. Pale and terrified he heard the door to the kitchen open to see a terried Layla. Reaching down to one of the dead men, he grabbed the pouch that Vicktor had given to Callius and tossed it back to him as well as a few silver coins. "For food..and the mess.." Vicktor could only stare for a few more moments before his ability to talk returned. "Who..the hell are you? I have never seen someone fight five men off so easily.." Corvan only shook his head and turned for the door. "No one you need to worry about Vicktor..they started it..I just finished it..Besides..this is me being nice."he took one look at Layla and saw she was still terrified. "You have nothing to fear of me child..either of you..ill be back to clean up this mess..after i see the healer." With that Corvan left the Inn more annoyed now. "Such a decent morning..wasted.."As he turned and headed for the Healers home.

Edited by Corvan
  • Like 5

((Working my best to keep up with this story, hoping to have better luck then my last one! Time frame wise anyways))

Holding is right hand over to his left shoulder as he started to calm down and feeling the deep wound in his shoulder. "Kid was tougher then he looked..just a bit.."Corvan told himself as he walked his way towards the Healers house in town. "Just another for the books..didn't expect to get stabbed here..home of farmers...guess even the Isle's have troubles.."Corvan grunted as he walked up to  the door of the Healer's house which read closed.

With a grunt Corvan pounded on the door twice and after a minute of waiting and hearing nothing, he growled and beat the door harder shaking it on its hinges. From inside a voice called out "WE ARE CLOSED..COME BACK IN A HOUR!!" It was a female voice,Not sing song like he had gotten use to but a bit more huskily..as from a older woman. This time with a grunt he kicked the door hard shaking it further and a rush of footsteps came with a pound as the locks were turned and door yanked open to reveal a middle aged woman who was only to Corvan's chest and he was tall for a man. He looked down at her and she only glared back "What!" she barked"Deaf or something?!" Pulling his hand away from his should to show the dark red blood on it. Her eyes softened slightly at the sight and shook her head. "Alright get in get in.." Turning back inside Corvan followed the woman and then past her into the house as she closed the door. "Over on the table..take off your Leather..let me have a look..Bar brawl?" "this early..Only one i know to cause this trouble is Callius..Lucky your alive." She stated as she moved off into another room.

Removing his leather tunic and the chain sleeves with a thunk onto the table next to him, The healer woman returned a minute later with a bowl of water and a satchel at her hip that was not there before. Getting a better look now..she was half his height, slim build with blackish hair that was unkept and down to her shoulders. She was middle aged. Thirties he would guess by the lines starting to show on her face. She was not unattractive but the years had worn on her from hard winters. 

The Healer did not look at Corvan when she walked back in but when she did, she stopped in her tracks for several heart beats taking in the unusual sight before her. Corvan stood half naked, just his leather trouser pants on, his entire torso showed a history of fighting, Small scars to large scars, Bite marks of spiders and arrow wounds scarred over, His back was the same story, Deep scarred lines from swords and spears and axes half covered in drying blood from the deep stabbing wound on his upper left back shoulder area. After the initial shock wore off, she continued to her work. "Alright sit down..Going to clean it..really clean it and then stitch it up..have not had time to prepare anything for the pain so..you are on your own.." Glancing down his back and sides "but..don't think it will bother you..sir..what is your name?" He half looked to her over his wounded shoulder "Corvan.." A light bulb went off in her mind. 

"Ahh the Northerner..well..that explains the scars then..which cuts out that conversation part..probably  had some broken bones to..though you seem to move well enough.." Corvan said nothing for a few moments as the woman took the hot water to his back cleaning the blood. "Our healers..were priests..spells were more effective.." "Ahh..makes sense..I suppose..I know nothing of this priest stuff..or magic..just herbs and plants.." He looked to her once more as best he could "Name?" Without looking as she finished whiping away the last of dried blood. "Shyla..pleasure Corvan.."She said with barely any tone. After a moment she reached into her satchel and pulled out a bottle full of clear liquid. "This is going to hurt.."And with that uncorked the bottle and poured a good measurement of it into the wound directly. One could hear the sizzling for a few seconds as the liquid did its work, Corvan barely flinched from it. "As i expected...you Northerners are a tough bunch..so how did this come about.."With a sigh Corvan went on "A man named Callius entered Vicktor's Tavern..i minded my own business..but he felt he had to assert himself..he touched me..I slammed his head into the counter..killed the four men with him..and then he stabbed me in the back and tried to run..I killed him with his own dagger.."Corvan spoke with even tone. Death was common for him and doing it was just as common for him. 

Shyla was taken a back for a moment. "Callius did this? and he is dead? You are a dangerous man..Callius was a well known fighter..and a brigand.. he has been pushing himself and his men as protection for this town..and those who don't pay..get roughed up..most of our old guards were either killed or bought..or run off." Corvan said nothing at this for a few moments. "Well..now you can get back to your old ways.." Shyla only chuckled. "Callius was only the muscle..once he does not show up to his Master..someone will come looking for him and his men." By now Shyla was stitching up the wound in his back, Corvan honestly barely felt it, that liquid had burned and then numbed that part of his body.  "I will handle that part..do not worry..how much for this." Shyla shook her head "Nothing..getting rid of Callius..consider us even..Man was evil..had his eye on Victkor's daughter..even tried to take her once..Never seen Vicktor look so angry..honestly..the poor lad was only following Callius's orders..Only time i ever seen Callius come to a deal." Corvan actually chuckled at these words. "I know he is a fighter..he chooses not to..less he has no other choice..Vicktor is a good man.."With those words Corvan stood up the moment she was finished and redressed himself.

"Thanks..though I have a feeling we will be seeing more of each other Shyla."Corvan grumbled slightly as the stiffness started to come from the wound. "Well..you know were the door is.."she replied before started to clean up the mess she had made as well as the mess Corvan had made.

After Corvan had finished with the Healer's house he returned to the Inn, were Vicktor and his daughter were starting to clean up the mess. Vicktor stared at Corvan for several long moments while his daughter quickly rushed away.

"Shyla told me enough..I will take care of the bodies..just clean the blood.."Corvan reached into his pocket of his pants and pulled out a small coin purse tossing it to Vicktor "for new furniture..someone comes asking..send someone to find me..South coast..Oak tree on a hill by its self..That is were I am.." Before Vicktor could even reply Corvan started to pick up the bodies one at a time and move them outside to his wagon and horse. Hitching their horses to one another and then to his cart, Corvan road off with a train of horses and bodies in tow..time to stage..some fun.. If anyone had seen Corvan leaving, they would see a small smile on his face.

Hours later near past mid day a traveling merchant who frequented the town of Kess entered the tavern and spoke with Vicktor. A large fat stocky balding man of a Merchant sat on a stool drinking ale as he talked to Vicktor "I swear Vicktor..five men dead and their horses..Callius that brigand..his head removed and on some kind of wooden spike..Looks like Callius's men finally picked the wrong fight with a group of travelers..it is a damn bloody mess I tell ya..but good ridiance i say..Id like to buy those men a keg of your vodka! They earned it ridding us of those men. "cheers went up in the Tavern, tankards swished in the air and down the contents went. Vicktor smiled but in his mind, he knew what happened..and he would await Marcus..Callius's Master..as well as a former resident of Kess..much does that young man have to explain..as does Vicktor to Marcus.

(vintage Corvan at work..for those who read One man outpost..but whos is this Marcus..why does he have a explination and why was his own underling strong arming his home town? Stay tuned!))

• Like 2

((Sorry for the small break in chapters. I had intended to write one while i was in vegas for a few weeks for work but things did not how i wanted them to..plus a small crisis in RL has been taking up much of my time. Wanting to do better then my last one!)