Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Who is our forum host?

On 2017-06-24 at 8:17 PM, Wurmhole said:

We all know Code Club runs on a very tight budget and that is ok.

This is not correct.

Spoiler

The last tax declaration is public. Now we'll see a new report in a few weeks but this is the last one:

https://www.merinfo.se/foretag/Code-Club-AB-5567297758/2k2mify-iv14/nyckeltal

(the numbers are in thousand crowns so 1949 means 1949k)

WU really brought some nice money into the game. Rolf the millionaire :P

The forums are awful for me, regardless of browser.  And why, oh why, is the password page not HTTPS?!?  I mean, we're already paying for the forum software, surely CC could spring for a cert as well? 

Actually, don't they already have one for store logins?  C'mon, this isn't rocket science or something that millions of others don't manage to do just fine every day...

9 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Well, this is very encouraging at least.  So has the software manufacturer chimed in?  I have to imagine they have encountered something similar with other clients.  If we are on an unsupported version and on our own, what is the bill to upgrade, or get back into compliance?  I'd love to talk to them and see what can be negotiated, to get back on track.  Maybe we can fund any costs through player donations.  Create a special cosmetic banner/wagon/cape/mask or something else as an award for donating to the cause?

Thank you for looking into this Keenan!

I forgot to post an update. I think I isolated the issue and am working with Retrograde on scheduling the downtime needed to address it as well as make a few other performance tweaks. I do not want to make the changes needed without taking them down and doing a full backup. :)

The software manufacturer did chime in, and we are in contact with them. We're covered on everything else, so no worries on that.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wonka said:

The forums are awful for me, regardless of browser.  And why, oh why, is the password page not HTTPS?!?  I mean, we're already paying for the forum software, surely CC could spring for a cert as well? 

Actually, don't they already have one for store logins?  C'mon, this isn't rocket science or something that millions of others don't manage to do just fine every day...

There are quite a lot of recognized free cert authorities out there like let's encrypt

14 minutes ago, Keenan said:

I forgot to post an update. I think I isolated the issue and am working with Retrograde on scheduling the downtime needed to address it as well as make a few other performance tweaks. I do not want to make the changes needed without taking them down and doing a full backup. :)

The software manufacturer did chime in, and we are in contact with them. We're covered on everything else, so no worries on that.

I believe NO ONE that uses the forums would mind to take them down hehe

we can use discord to communicate if the forums go down, would be nice if it had a sales channel on there though.

18 hours ago, Cecci said:

This is not correct.

Hide contents

The last tax declaration is public. Now we'll see a new report in a few weeks but this is the last one:

https://www.merinfo.se/foretag/Code-Club-AB-5567297758/2k2mify-iv14/nyckeltal

(the numbers are in thousand crowns so 1949 means 1949k)

Are these numbers real? I've always given the Wurm team some slack because I figured they didn't have enough funds.  While they aren't rolling in money, they have more than enough and there is NO excuse for the ways things are being run.  I'm extremely disappointed if this is the case.

2 hours ago, milksteak said:

Are these numbers real? I've always given the Wurm team some slack because I figured they didn't have enough funds.  While they aren't rolling in money, they have more than enough and there is NO excuse for the ways things are being run.  I'm extremely disappointed if this is the case.

I would caution against jumping to conclusions. Tax reports.don't tell the whole story. Although CC has never said what their finances are like, it would take a financial audit to be able to say anything with certainty, and that is something thats none of our business.

Keep in mind that regardless of what their financial situation is like, we are customers and have the right to request for a quality product. Just keep pushing until things get better :)

• Like 1

Yea I'm pretty skeptical of those numbers, they are considerably higher than what I thought and they would have had to sold 100's of thousands of copies of WU to hit those numbers

I'm not privy to financials, but that aside we do have our own certificate - but I'm actually using LetsEncrypt more because it's a "set and forget" service. I've already turned it on for the wurmpedia. The forums simply need to be taken offline and have a few configuration options changed.

As I mentioned before, I'm stepping up for Daryl who would normally do this but has been unable to due to other circumstances.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, milksteak said:

These are the public numbers from 2016-06.

More detailed info I would have to pay for.

Keep in mind it was the year WU was released.

Now we wait for this years numbers.

We can expect staff costs to have gone up at least, since several were hired during last year (few months of last year, ie the year in the above numbers).

We are also at a steady 45-50k WU owners so no huge change there.

It is possible that this year will come out less good than last year.

In Sweden this is official information, also why it is placed openly on the net.

Also: 1 Euro is roughly 10 swedish crowns. The numbers are in swedish crowns.

Edited by Cecci
  • Like 2

Yes, don't let the numbers throw you.  As Cecci says, the amount in Euro or USD is considerably less.  I don't read sweedish, so I'm not positive on it all, but just glancing through shows me they are NOT rolling in cash.  Yes, WU was a big help, but also extra expense to maintain.  There aren't any big assets here.  I don't know the cost of programmers in Sweeden, but in the USA, 5 programmers would eat up all the earnings (loaded with the associated expenses).  So yes, they really are on a tight budget.

Can't wait for the downtime! (never though I would say that...)

Thank you Keenan!

Just for fun I checked on Mojang and those numbers were almost scary...

• Like 1