Sign in to follow this  
Rauros

Healing reworked

Hello to all, my suggestion will be about healing, and reworking a bit most of the items used in healing.

I find that most of the healing items are just there because you "need" something to heal with, but i believe that much can be done to have a better system.

Cotton/strings/rags and so on should go, in favour of gauze/bandages: just some cotton over a loom to make a lower weight, and most lower volume item that will work over cuts, holes and bite wounds. Less dependant on quality and skill, will heal a bit.

Bandage with fat will heal fire wounds: carry a bandage and a piece of fat, so if you need to heal a burn, you just make it.

Healing covers seems to work nice, thou at high ql they could also speed a bit the healing ticks instead of curing 25 damage (wich is even a bit too much)

Stitching a wound with needle+string may work over cuts, holes and bites too, but better than bandages and will work better on nasty wounds (high damage).

Farmer's salve is very nice as it is, maybe add to work over frost and fire damage, but make them a little less skill-dependant, and add to the creation of the item a pottery flask.

Small healing potions may be made with some healing items like covers, with alchemy skill, and will instantly heal wounds based over sum of potency of the items used (2/3 items total), with a debuff over use of 5 minutes, so no exploit for PvP. Maybe add a bless from a priest over the potion made, and a pottery flask.

Overall, most of those things should be easy to make even by a new player, so to have more items for them to make eventually, and generate a small market even around those items.

• Like 2

Then instead of foraging for a minute in the wild you will need to build a loom first. Noo, -1. Also think about the noobs.

This suggestion might work better if using cotton was not removed and simply provided less healing than the other options.

(considering cotton acts as a potency 2 healing cover, bandages could be a higher potency or multiply healing cover potency) 

• Like 4

well, addressing to the first -1: everyone knows that "foraging 1 minute in the wild" never gives you cotton, maybe 10 minutes more, in wich you often ends up using a normal healing cover, wich is still there.This system is exactly worked for noobs in fact, wich may be able, finally, to trade something easy to make, and in decent quantities, with the "elders" of the game. Anyway, there's a lot more to discuss than the "missing cotton from the table", i think.
What if we keep it like also Retrograde told?

Anything to say about the other things? Elaborate instead of just a -1 would help better, i think.

• Like 1

Speaking as someone who spent his first few months playing healing other new players with cotton and covers I would say don't remove cotton's use entirely.

I must admit that making one's first loom is a daunting task to new players and placing that as a hurdle for healing is probably a bad thing.  Then again, new players also have the healing buff now which does offset this a bit.

I'd say allow the application of cotton still and leave it unchanged, just make bandages lighter than cotton (50% of the weight?), MUCH less bulky (same bulk as farmer 0.1 salve?) and faster (50%+) to apply.  This would give players an incentive to both make and carry bandages in preference over cotton, but it would not nerf cotton itself.

The pottery flask components I am not too fond of, mostly because I'd be stuck with junk QL items as a priest admittedly.  Why not make them cease to decay if stored in a pottery flask (and only the flask takes the decay hit till it expires)?

• Like 2

Being wounded increases likelihood of finding cotton, many things are weighted in certain aspects, some are found more commonly at low skill, some are found on different tiles, and some require the player to be hungry or wounded to increase the chances. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

Speaking as someone who spent his first few months playing healing other new players with cotton and covers I would say don't remove cotton's use entirely.

I must admit that making one's first loom is a daunting task to new players and placing that as a hurdle for healing is probably a bad thing.  Then again, new players also have the healing buff now which does offset this a bit.

I'd say allow the application of cotton still and leave it unchanged, just make bandages lighter than cotton (50% of the weight?), MUCH less bulky (same bulk as farmer 0.1 salve?) and faster (50%+) to apply.  This would give players an incentive to both make and carry bandages in preference over cotton, but it would not nerf cotton itself.

The pottery flask components I am not too fond of, mostly because I'd be stuck with junk QL items as a priest admittedly.  Why not make them cease to decay if stored in a pottery flask (and only the flask takes the decay hit till it expires)?

I think in perspective: any noob at any starter town can easily have access to looms. I see that making just bandages may seems too much taxing for new players, but do not forget also the other aspects: having more than one single item to deal with any kind of wound helps a lot, i think the best balance may be to eventually keep cotton as a fast way to heal small wounds.

For the pottery flasks: i added those mainly for the purpose of making more items available for trading: the flask could just be a needed item wich ql does not matter, but even the "store here to prevent damage" is a good idea i think, the flask thing it's just an addition, not necessarily.

-1.  In my opinion, the healing system is already somewhat confusing for a newbie.  I know that when I first started I was a bit taken aback by it.  Having to carry cotton was bad enough with the low weight I could carry, then after a while I learned that some wounds won't heal unless I learn to make (and carry around) healing covers.  Then there's the farmer's salve that I eventually learned to make and carry around with me as well, and when to use it as opposed to cotton, etc., etc..

I'm not saying I want the existing system to be any easier, I think it should stay as-is, I'm just saying that I think it's already complex enough for newbies and doesn't need to be made moreso. 

I wouldn't be opposed to, as Retrograde said, adding options for greater healing over and above what we currently have for the more experienced players.

Edited by Amadee

2 hours ago, Amadee said:

the healing system is already somewhat confusing for a newbie. 

This is interesting and i agree, and even if this belongs to maybe another suggestion, i think that healing is a topic so important for newbies that it SHOULD be a thing that appears as a tutorial and won't go UNTIL you "solve" the tutorial about this topic...maybe leaving a single cotton (used, so no seeds) to the player.
Helping noobs to have a better ingame experience is what we need most to have a good player retention in the game

Can we get something beer than healing cover?  I'm still not sure I get how the work completely. I stick to cotton because it does decay as bad and can be stored in a bsb in my cart. Finding cotton as a noob is annoying hate to think of it now with the ever expanding stuff you can find foraging. I can get behind more additional items but don't change cotton.

Edited by Lupe

43 minutes ago, Lupe said:

Can we get something beer than healing cover? 

I bet asking something BEER to a dwarf is a good way to get it XD

So apparently, seems that for some newbies is annoying to find cotton, not easy as it seems...

Broken limbs, internal injuries, surgery, scars (from survived sev wounds, clear on death), lost limbs and eyes (renewed on death) ?

• Like 3

A bandage that applies quickly and goes back to your inventory as a "dirty bandage" after the wound has healed? (lacking space it would fall to the floor)

If they were made exempt from burning up (most cloth burns), it should be possible to "boil" them in a cauldron with water to return them to normal.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, drvst said:

A bandage that applies quickly and goes back to your inventory as a "dirty bandage" after the wound has healed? (lacking space it would fall to the floor)

If they were made exempt from burning up (most cloth burns), it should be possible to "boil" them in a cauldron with water to return them to normal.

expanding on that, like in most games you could treat it with alcohol to strengthen it, like a form of triple distilled vodka or somesuch

• Like 1

20 hours ago, drvst said:

That is pure genius

• Like 1

23 hours ago, drvst said:

new starter item, with noobs raging because they can't find iron for a cauldron.

10 hours ago, Yiraia said:

new starter item, with noobs raging because they can't find iron for a cauldron.

Good point. I suppose a pottery bowl might also be acceptable?

13 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

That is pure genius

Thanks! :)

any boiling water will do... what you "use" is boiling water! That's a cool idea in fact...Ultima Online started with bandages that could be washed in water... 20 ears ago XD

On 20.06.2017 at 5:37 AM, Klaa said:

Broken limbs, internal injuries, surgery, scars (from survived sev wounds, clear on death), lost limbs and eyes (renewed on death) ?

Give us Rimwold: Wurm Online.

2 hours ago, Erevorn said:

Heck, i thought the same thing...

2 hours ago, Erevorn said:

Illness : Muscle Parasites

"Oh *palm*"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rauros said:

You have got ill: you now have wurm.

16 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

Illness : Muscle Parasites

"Oh *palm*"

Do you mean... Muscle Wurms?

-1 to removing current methods

+1 to improving on healing with the ideas mentioned, maybe add some flavor to descriptions, for example, if you only heal with cotton, you can get a scar when inspecting body parts or players, or using an advanced healing system could either heal faster or rid of penalties untill fully healed.