Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Kaleidoscope Combat

So the combat tab is certainly more colorful, but I was wondering if there is room to adjust the new color code system so its easier to view?

Rather than having multiple colors on the same line, can we just have different colors for each line?

Someone hits me, that line can be all red, I hit someone, all green, my buddy hits someone, make that one blue.

My enemy hits my buddy, make that one yellow.

You get the idea?

What is everyone's thoughts on this new system? Easy to read, hard to read, maybe just takes getting used to?

• Like 3

Considering the group dynamics in PvP, I can see where you're coming from.

I've only done PvE, and not all that much of it at that... but what I've noticed fighting 2 bears and a wolf so far:

• Never really noticed before how much freezing damage my sword does.
  • I can obviously tell from my health bar and the red aura when I'm getting pummeled, but I do find myself honing in on the actual language of how hard I'm being hit more.  The feedback thus feels more precise.
  • Same token, I can see how much damage I'm doing by critter health bar, but with the new system I'm picking out the language more.
  • Picking out the language on damage going each way seems to let me know if I should stay in the fight, kind of.  If I'm just tickling the thing, I'm outta there.  Might have other benefits such as how much damage depending on where I'm hitting etc.  ie. If I go from tickling to hitting hard (if that's even possible)
  • Makes it easier to pick out where the critter is directing its attack so that I can match/mix my own attacks/tactics accordingly.

Keep in mind, to a better trained eye like yours, none of the above may matter at all.  This is just how it struck me after doing 3 fights in quick succession.

What you're suggesting means I would see green and red depending on damage in or out.  Kind of seems like that would be pretty much like the old system for me.

On the other hand, I kind of suspect what you're suggesting would work better in group PvE as well as PvP?  To the new player, the current system may better point out what to be looking at. (perhaps)

TL;DR  Bit of a shock to the eyes at first for sure, but once getting used to it, could be useful.  I'm a noob.  Sums it up I think.

• Like 1

i think the current colour coding is confusing to say the least.

why are some people gray, some are blue, some are green?

i also would certainly prefer single colour lines.

something along the lines of red being harmful effects that actually did damage

yellow/orange for harmful effects that you avoided, aka dodge or parry.

white being your offensive moves that were avoided.

green being your offensive moves that hit.

blue possibly for spells in general.

however all of this of course still with the ability to recolour them in the settings.

yet the most important point to me is that you have multiple colours mixed into the same sentence which, to me, looks quite painful. i for one cant handle this new combat tab.

• Like 1

The colours can be changed and the UI update will also include a more expansive combat log, this is just paving the way

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Arium said:

yet the most important point to me is that you have multiple colours mixed into the same sentence which, to me, looks quite painful.

I would +1 giving an option for people to change their own, but would have to -1 changing it for everyone.  I really like it the way it is. 

• Like 1

Personally I like the combat colour mod of WU more - that is going on the whole line concept. The new WO combat tab is quite too colourful for me within a line and thus the important information is more hidden. That is not changeable by just changing the actual colours.

As Retro noted it is a temp solution and as such I'm okay with that - could we please get rebalanced (or expanded) levels of harm/hurt/damaged etc? The highest level is kicking in too soon...