Sign in to follow this  
RavenLure

[FIXED] Guards on a Smoke break

I was being chased by a hellhound.. I run to a guard tower and call for help as I normally do.. there are about  half dozen guards.. standing around with in 5 tiles... of me.. all say they are coming they never do they jsut remain standing around.. I call twice more nothing......

This happed the other day but on lone responded.. I ended up dying.. before I did I called out serveral more times... only that one guard came.. no no guards came.. 

I have called to these guards before they are south of my deed...This is getting frustrating

and not making me too happy

http://imgur.com/a/oGwbR

• Like 3

is there any chance there are open (no door) mines nearby the tower? if a guard wanders in there it will be stuck and cannot come to your rescue; if there are, best bet is to kill the guards inside the mines or have someone else kill them and put doors on open mines near the tower, which will keep guards from entering them

• Like 1

No they are all with in visual range...I could stand a few tiles away and they will not respond.. I was on a road, near the tower.. I can see them all.

4 hours ago, Lisabet said:

is there any chance there are open (no door) mines nearby the tower? if a guard wanders in there it will be stuck and cannot come to your rescue; if there are, best bet is to kill the guards inside the mines or have someone else kill them and put doors on open mines near the tower, which will keep guards from entering them

Actually, not to derail but on this part I don't believe they need an opening without a door.  I have tower guards in my mine all the time and there are absolutely no entrances to my mines anywhere that don't have doors.

As to guards not responding to RavenLure , I'd have to do some research but some time ago there was a thread about this. I don't remember what the reasons for this behavior was but I do know that nothing got changed. It was something about which guard is first and their distance from the tower rather than the person needing help or something like that.

Edited by Amadee

1 hour ago, Amadee said:

Actually, not to derail but on this part I don't believe they need an opening without a door.  I have tower guards in my mine all the time and there are absolutely no entrances to my mines anywhere that don't have doors.

Have you killed the guards since placing the doors? they won't go out on their own most of the time.  And once I've doored my mines I've never had an issue with them entering.

The doors were there long before the guards ever got in so that can't be it.  My tower spawns 8 guards and there are always at least 3 or 4 outside the mine so I've never felt overly concerned or compelled to bring it up before (although I can see where it could be an annoyance for others).  Was only commenting on it as an observation as I've always just chalked it up to the idiosyncrasies of tower guards. Some of them are just lazy sods shirking their duties. :) 

edit:  The rest of my post was actually in response to the problem RavenLure posted about, with guards standing there twiddling their thumbs when called. I realized, belatedly, that it didn't necessarily read that way, so my apologies.  I've edited the post to reflect that.  :)

Edited by Amadee

I did edit my orginal post to add  a link with pictures of the area. which I will post here...

I was just chatting with a friend and he had the same experience at another guard tower.. He had two hell hounds chasing after him and he died... So something is up on a program end I believe and should be looked into by wurm.

bind a key to call the guards if you havent already...

Press F1 to open console, and there type bind g "say Guards!" ,press enter and than F1 to close the console...

From there on.. just (double)click on the mob that's chasing you.. or near by.. and press G(it just have to show in the target hud window;

Just remember to keep some distance from the mob(so you do not tank it's attacks).. and let the guards fight it.. feel free to join them later if you want.

If guards are 'ignoring you', remember that their range is ~20 tiles from the tower.. if you have a mob chasing you.. try to get closer to the tower... than run in circles or something... until they catch up to the mob and aggro it.;)

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Guard_tower#Range_and_Response

Spoiler

Range and Response

• Guards will respond to a help call if the creature is within 20 tiles of the Guard tower, not of the guards.
    • The monster needs to be within 20 tiles of the tower but you can call the guards as long as you are in local range of the tower (80 tiles).
    • This can be done by saying either "help" or "guards!" in Local chat within range of a guard tower, after which the guards will attack your current target.
      • The text to call the guards MUST be typed in lower case letters to work.
      • 2 Guards respond per call, but you can call for more 10 seconds later.

Might be a pathing problem because of the bridge?

Had some slow to respond guards yesterday and it was near a wooden bridge.

The agro in my case was 1 tile off the bridge

58 minutes ago, Finnn said:

bind a key to call the guards if you havent already...

Press F1 to open console, and there type bind g "say Guards!" ,press enter and than F1 to close the console...

From there on.. just (double)click on the mob that's chasing you.. or near by.. and press G(it just have to show in the target hud window;

Just remember to keep some distance from the mob(so you do not tank it's attacks).. and let the guards fight it.. feel free to join them later if you want.

If guards are 'ignoring you', remember that their range is ~20 tiles from the tower.. if you have a mob chasing you.. try to get closer to the tower... than run in circles or something... until they catch up to the mob and aggro it.;)

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Guard_tower#Range_and_Response

I was right in front of the tower the guard was about 5 tiles away the other about ten but with in eye shot..So it is not that they are too far. I say help that works for me.. always had no need for keybindings  

50 minutes ago, lawurm said:

Might be a pathing problem because of the bridge?

Had some slow to respond guards yesterday and it was near a wooden bridge.

The agro in my case was 1 tile off the bridge

No it was not the bridge it was a clear shot  with out bride obstruction .. especially the other day when only one answered.. and one stood 3 tiles away... and just stood there.. and another one  8 tiles away stood there and that guard died and I did eventually.. 

• Like 1

I filed for support in game and gave this link.

It happened again..

Edited by RavenLure

Ok I just yesterday had same thing happen. Sort of.

I had to kill a ven troll (too much for me w/o help). I went to guard tower area and called for help - several times. Lots of times. Guards stated they would come, but they never did. I ran in circles a loooong time, lots of circles. Lots of calls for help. No tower guards ever showed up.

So I lured that ven troll to other nearby guard tower. Ran in circles there and called for help. There were 2 guards just standing there watching me and the troll run in circles. I called for help several times.. over and over and over. Repeatedly, the tower guards stated they were 'on it' and 'gonna get u ven troll', but no guards ever showed up.

So I left that troll there, went to a nearby mine where I knew the local tower guards loved to just hide when work is to be done. Sure enough, a tower guard was in there w/ his back to the door. (May have been another guard or 2 in that mine, but I did not check) So I attacked that lazy mine dweller tower guard. He got mad (lol) and came at me, so I lured him to the ven troll, then got completely out of everybody's range for a time. After a bit or two, I targeted the ven troll, and called for help. That one single tower guard engaged the troll - and that was that. Dead troll.

Apparently... normally... when u call for help the 1st time, the 1st two guards are sent (team 1). If you call a 2nd time, another one or two are sent (team 2). If u then call a 3rd time, u can get the rest of them come help.

But, if the 1st tower guard team is stuck in a mine, they cant get out, so they 'say' .. oh ya i'm coming to help.. but they don't. Then when u call the 2nd time, that 1st team is still not engaged in battle, so that 1st team, again says, "I'm coming to help, no lie" but still won't come. The 2nd and 3rd teams never get the call, because they are waiting for the 1st team to be 'engaged' in battle.

I'd like them to fix this yes. So sad to see well paid tower guards loafing about when there are innocent Wurminians getting killed by evil hungry monsters.

I recommend players be allowed to 'lead' lazy mine dwelling tower guards w/ a rope out of the mine. Or maybe, players should have a 'lazy tower guard' emote that would cause the tower guard to come out. .. of them mines. Something. Maybe players should be able to call for the 2nd team, or 3rd team if 1st team is just too lazy. Maybe if we just quit paying them if they are inside a mine? I mean they never help in battles inside mines.. why pay them if they are just gonna stand in a mine? Completely irresponsible work ethic on the tower guards part. How about.. if a tower guard enters a mine, he (or she) immediately starts to starve, and very soon after die of hunger? Something needs to be done here.

My name is Teeebomb and that's my lazy guard story.

Edited by TeeeBOMB
dum fingers misspelling
  • Like 1

I also have seen the difference in the way the guards respond to the call for help on my deed and at other guard towers.  I have tested it and the call goes out for help and the message on the event window show that the guards are running to the rescue.  The guards make the first movement to show that they will run but then it is like they reset and go back into a passive stance.  I have to be right beside them to get them to acknowledge the call where as I could be tiles away and get a response from them just last week...  Maybe something with the last hot fix??

1 minute ago, lodoc said:

Maybe something with the last hot fix

Agreed. Maybe an issue showed up when all the underground locks disappeared. It was odd for me, two different guard towers completely blowing me and my ven troll off.

I think I first noticed this was right after the hot fix this week . the week before was fine.

I wanted to add now I have had this same experience with another guard tower I ran right by a guard and said help... they said they were coming to attack the troll but never did.... I rand to the next guard tower.. only one responded when clearly two of them could have the other one stood there picking his nose. The guard died... the troll still lives.....

I recently had a similar situation (Before the most recent patch/hotfix). I lured a ven troll home to my deed, brought it over by my 70+ QL JK guard tower, called for guards and none came with the first call out. Second call out, it seemed like nothing came either, so I called out a 3rd time, and eventually while I was kiting it one did run up and took the attention for me...and I was able to sit there and kill it.

I have had this happen before many years ago in the past...my cave entry was nearby-ish to my tower...and some would go in there and get trapped and I'd have to kill them...but I had a mine door on it and they would still enter it. Guards ignore doors/(Locked or unlocked)fences and have auto-access to entering them. So throwing a door on it won't solve this problem (If it is indeed the cave causing it...which I doubt.).

I have my G key bound for guard call. It did each of the calls...I checked local to make sure. They certainly are ignoring us/not responding.

ok the latest word .. we have to wait for a Dev here. the support i  filed in world they said why would have told me to come here.. so I guess we wait and I will keep log of the times it happens.. not sure how to say exactly which tower.. but since it is happening more than one tower then I guess no need. so this will be a log of lazy tower guards...

Second verse same as the first.. 

Anyway had a troll on my pixel butt called twice.... but made it to my deed which extends over the road so my templers took care of the troll when to my surprise a lone tower guard ... came to my rescue . when clearly 2 more could have but did not.. but this one lone tower guard chassed the troll clear down to my deed even though he was badly wounded...... and gave his pixel life to help save mine.. When the templers finished him off I gave him a proper burial.

But really the same song and dance... called and called... I do hope this is being looked into.. or I will kill all the guards and maybe the replacements will work better.

• Like 2

I'll monitor and do some testing on this tower for a few days.  I've checked all the badge numbers of the guards, so if they are no longer performing up to expectations, they will be terminated.

• Like 4

We may indeed have a new problem of this kind. I also observed this several times today on various towers:

Creature within tower range, targeted, called guards several times. Some of the guards reacted, others didn't - they just stood there, although I was calling more than three times.

EDIT: I watched the guards, and some of them started running, but then stopped again doing nothing afterwards. Calling them again sometimes made them start running again - but not in all cases. Very strange behaviour.

Edited by Yaga

Oh I am so glad that someone from Wurm  witness this as well!