Sign in to follow this  
agentusp

Wurm Online thoughts about where it's headed

One person? Just one? Even I could abuse that and take Kyrmius to Epic and hold one of them servers open ad infinitum (and I don't PvP). I could run around for months dying all over and still be considered "still playing". (and what do I accomplish in Wurm?)

Rolf and Staff might want to rethink that rule...

Edited by geode
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, agentusp said:

Hi there!

Not many might recognise me nowadays but I've been a long time Wurm Online fan and untill the release of epic roamed on pretty much most of the maps that have been out since beta around the around 2005/2006.

Hey there!  You probably don't remember, but I still wear what you described as a special chain armor set you sold me half a decade ago.  Yup, still have it on.

Cheers!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, geode said:

One person? Just one? Even I could abuse that and take Kyrmius to Epic and hold one of them servers open ad infinitum (and I don't PvP). I could run around for months dying all over and still be considered "still playing". (and what do I accomplish in Wurm?)

All the servers have more than 1 player. So I don't think that really matters. lol

2 hours ago, geode said:

Not really open for debate.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, geode said:

but then again, if there's only one player, they can probably run the server on a raspberry pi :P

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keenan said:

We're not shutting down servers.

End of story.

Rolf's policy has always been so long as there's even one person still playing on a server, it's going to remain open. There's no post size quota, like quota, poll quota, or any other unit of measure that's going to change that. You might as well get used to it and move on.

Did you check out what you can do in caves now? Might be a better use of time.

Only question is, is player fragmentation a problem in Wurm? If it is, what will you do about it?

While I do think closing servers is bad idea and can be even worse solution than current situation, that doesn't mean there is no problem to solve. And no, releasing texture pack every other week doesn't have an effect on that.

remove Xanadu and remove plot course. People will have to move to the samller ones where people will group again around the main server crossing points giving people the option to join one of the deeds there or make an own in the vicinity or they can go inland if they prefer to be alone.

All I hear people say about xanadu is that its to much lag and its to big and it usualy has slightly more people as indy and is 4x as big.

Xan was a bad idea imo

Xanadu's fine. And prior to plot course it was still great, just had to set aside a bit more time for travelling, plus inner travel is unaffected by plot course.

Vocal people complain about lag, a lot of us just play and don't notice a thing.

• Like 4

Eyesgood: of course I remember :P

Ah yeah, well I can still dream can't I. Guess I'm in the minority of people who prefer destroying instead of building eh? I do feel stupid for not taking more time and writing out exactly what i meant. Am getting kinda emotional thinking about Wurm lately, can't help it. I had to try though, that's how i feel.

About the tutorial: Just saying, I know you can run through it, but as a new player I would not. I would try to complete it to know some stuff. By mentioning the tutorial I tried to point out that new town and how crowded it used to be all around used to be tutorial enough, a better one at that.

The wurm I love is gone anyways. The game into which you logged on to escape of modern life. The wurm where you played to survive, to build communities together. The brutal game which wanted to make your life hard, the game where you had to travel without horses or boats for days to reach the other end of the map. A simple game, where you could evolve but not to super large castles and great cogs that obstruct the view of everything else. It's gone. I guess thats normal, not the first time, not the first time....

I knew I'm not going to achieve much by just posting my thoughts like that, i guess i just needed help with trying to crush my own dreams. Gotta get rid of that nagging hope :P ...

Right, good that you pointed that out Keenan, can't really fight when you put it that way right? The power of the devs eh, you guys make the game, you guys watch it fall.  I'm the one who's going to have to move on then I guess(as hard as it might be). Rolf's policy? Really?...

People nowadays.. so attached to their "work". 

Edited by agentusp
  • Like 1

On 2017-6-17 at 1:14 PM, Sila said:

we should close down all server and all move to chaos or xanadu... and all will be fun again...  some ppl will left but many new will come :D

its a damn good thing you aren't responsible for any changes in the game

Can someone just close this thread? Is it really adding anything at this point?

"The wurm I love is gone anyways. The game into which you logged on to escape of modern life. The wurm where you played to survive, to build communities together. The brutal game which wanted to make your life hard," - Um, that game still exists, it's called Wurm. 

"the game where you had to travel without horses or boats for days to reach the other end of the map. A simple game, where you could evolve but not to super large castles and great cogs that obstruct the view of everything else." - So a game that lacked many of the features the creator had intended to add from the start? Make your own boring game then, no offense. 

Edited by Matholameu
Quotation mark in wrong spot.
  • Like 4

lol the only reason why im playing this game is because its hard to leave everything i made, and its easy to do school work while playing. Take everything from me and im going back to minecraft where i can build anything i want and make 12 year olds mad in pvp.

4 hours ago, agentusp said:

The wurm I love is gone anyways. The game into which you logged on to escape of modern life. The wurm where you played to survive, to build communities together. The brutal game which wanted to make your life hard, the game where you had to travel without horses or boats for days to reach the other end of the map. A simple game, where you could evolve but not to super large castles and great cogs that obstruct the view of everything else. It's gone. I guess thats normal, not the first time, not the first time....

Who is stopping you to make your own open "survival" WU server and play as much as you want? If the game you desire for is so wonderful and fulfilling, then people will flock to join. Problem solved. I don't know, maybe there are already some existing servers to meet your requirements and reset every couple of months.

The operational cost of keeping a server running is insignificant. Why would they not keep it running? The continued argument that x, y or z server should be shut down baffles me. I suppose people think residents of that server will spread around the remaining server, but rest assured that wont be the case.

The strongest selling point of Wurm is that you are able to create a lasting mark in the world. Take that away and you will ene up with yet another WoW. Why play this game if my efforts will be erased at developer's whim?

• Like 1

WU had the greatest potential at the start. I wish an official server had been started by Rolf for WU including a PvP server and PvE server. It would've been much more attractive to current players such as USP looking to come back on a one time purchase with having the option of jumping around to other servers if things got a bit stale. 

Now just to make this very clear, I'm not calling any of the devs out here, this is for my own curiosity. WU has been out for awhile now and I've noticed with updates or content implementation it takes minutes to add into the game. With WO I know content is created and tested for a bit and added into the game because obviously this is the main ship and you don't wanna add freight it can't carry. I'm just curious, why does it take so long for content to be created and added? Once again I'm not knocking on anyone here, everyone has a real life outside of Wurm (loliwish) and I think the devs do a fantastic job once content starts rolling out. 

Also I hate seeing hostility being thrown around in an endless snarky circle when these types of threads come up. 

Unfortunately with WU, in terms of pvp, it will forever be ruined by easily available hacks, that are rampant on every server.

And no, they are never "fixed" as many server owners would like to think.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

Unfortunately with WU, in terms of pvp, it will forever be ruined by easily available hacks, that are rampant on every server.

And no, they are never "fixed" as many server owners would like to think.

That's what I'm saying, they own the code, they can implement an anti cheat/macro guard for those sneaky snakes out there. 

Server owners know, they just wait for that cheater to get bored, fix the issues and watch as the non cheaters continue to grow as a community.  The hackers are always the loudest in wu and the cheaters are usually the first to leave when they have to restart.  Community is more important than winning, Wo or Wu, once those people stop showing up to either both games will get better.

Enjoy your Monday grumpy people.

Edited by Brew
Spelling
  • Like 2

Last I checked, dueling was illegal in real life.

I will not be paying for premium until this feature, as well as asking for '1v1's are removed.

• Like 3

Its ok. Theyll just ban the side who didn't honour the 1v1. Probl solved

• Like 1

Let's start with number one.

I don't see how shutting down servers helps Wurm.

As to number two, the only problem is low population. The end. We're not gonna attract new players by shutting servers down. There were a few different subjects lately here on the forums where a heated discussion about what we should do took place. Gathering all those ideas into one big pile of... ideas... and then chiseling them out into a beautiful sculpture is the way to go.

• Like 2

I only say shut down servers as a way to concentrate the population and make room for a new server, one with rivers. People like waterfront property that isn't a mountain. People also tend to like untouched lands. A fresh start rather than reusing what someone else already terraformed. I am just parroting the complaints I have heard in real life from friends as to why they are not playing or won't give it a fair shake. 

The "go play WU" is a terrible response. Those faster timers prevent a lot of people from either trying or coming back to WO. That said, WO feels much different than WU. Sure, there are WU servers that have been up forever, but WO is still the officially supported MMO and there are people who aren't interested in WU due to the private server aspect. Rather than fight with each other and sling mud, we need to realize that everyone in this thread only wants to see WO succeed.

10 hours ago, Revnik said:

I only say shut down servers as a way to concentrate the population and make room for a new server, one with rivers. People like waterfront property that isn't a mountain. People also tend to like untouched lands. A fresh start rather than reusing what someone else already terraformed. I am just parroting the complaints I have heard in real life from friends as to why they are not playing or won't give it a fair shake. 

I ahve to agree with this - Id try a new server with untouched land and no pre terraforming in a heartbeat. Instead Im stuck looking at WU for an ideal server :/

No servers will be shut down. The devs have been adamantly clear on that. I don't even see why people keep discussing it since it clearly won't happen. Its a wasted effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhianna said:

I ahve to agree with this - Id try a new server with untouched land and no pre terraforming in a heartbeat. Instead Im stuck looking at WU for an ideal server :/

Move around xanadu and you will find plenty of land like that.. so many wild areas still...

Or pay a few silvers and have someone turn an area that you like into a wild area..

• Like 1