Sign in to follow this  
Cista

Devblog: Crazy creatures

There is a devblog up on creature pathing:

https://www.wurmonline.com/2017/06/14/wurm-devblog-crazy-creatures/

I did not see anywhere it could be discussed so made this item.

There are some cool bits of infirmation in there and some things I frankly doubt. I did NOT know that creatures walk away from deeds and that this has an effect. This must be a subtle effect since mobs of all types find their way onto my deed all the time.  

He also writes as if ALL non-aggro creatures actively shy away from players, I am surprised by this, have never seen that in e.g. horses. Also surprised that they run away from aggros, maybe that is why fights are so rare.

I am intrigued by the info that some animals do pathing by selecting a tile, while others select a direction and wander more aimlessly. Such complexity in this game! 

His thoughts about how penned animals bunch in one corner are not convincing. The notion that they end in a corner because it cannot go to the tiles that are outside does not explain why they all end up in the SAME corner.

The idea that creatures should now start to weight every single tile in the area around them with a heatmap frankly sounds overly complex. Good luck with making that bug free!

But a great article. Any comments?

When something is posted on the site the devblog account makes a post on the website section of the forums, there's plenty of discussion there!

• Like 1

Thank you!  The "Official Buildings" section of the forums has 11 different categories, for a person like me it's impossible to find anything there.