Sign in to follow this  
Lucyein

Killing Stuff Makes You Stronger

I think it would be very nice if we had to collect x thousand y item from a certain humanoid in order to make a traditional equipment special for that humanoid. Collect 2000 troll bone necklace to be able to learn making traditional troll shield for example. Or kill 4000 trolls as archievement to learn making the traditional troll shield. They would give you bonus against everything except players or each equipment against different groups of few creatures, but never against players.

They could also be just items that already exist in the game, require more effort to make, only different look but if you use them and got the archievement, you would have the bonus.

If this simply wouldnt work, my other idea is simply having an archievement for killing crazy ammounts of a certain creature, having bonus against that creature because of that archievement (if you killed tens of thousands of trolls and only 5 hellhounds, I think you would be more experienced and hence stronger against trolls). It would be even better imo if hardened, champion etc. creatures gave you more points based on how difficult they are, like champion giving more points than hardened. This way, killing stronger creatures would actually have a reward to make you happy.  It could go up in levels like killing x trolls give you y bonus, killing 4x trolls give you 2y bonus, 16x trolls 4y bonus. The bonus could be damage.

Edit: Combat rating bonus against the creature you got the archievement for would make more sense  and less imbalanced. Dmg bonus against really weak creatures like cows would probably be better since combat rating wont do much difference against those (if there would be archievement for them at all). Would be best imo if none of those bonuses applied to player mount creatures, so it wouldnt effect pvp.

Edited by Lucyein
  • Like 3

I've said it many times, I'll plus one anything that has to do with player versus monster, this game rewards crafters too much to the point where people literally sit at home and craft all day and can easily pay for multiple accounts and that sucks because it removes all "adventure" out of the sandbox experience, none the less, what is the point of investing in better gear if you're just going to use the better gear to kill the same irrelevant creatures that provide no challenge or reward in the first place.

+100

i also like the idea of bringing bonuses for killing stuff into the game, like the titles which were suggested a few days ago. the idea of getting bonuses vs a specific enemy is new and brilliant, cause if you killed 1000 wolfs you might start to figure out what their weak points are and maybe deal more damage, swing faster, etc.

+1 for that part

i just dislike the idea of including "traditional equipment" as in troll-bone-armor. Wurm is a special snowflake and different from the other games for many reasons, in my opinion including that is does not have a bunch of mob-loot based armors, 2-men-high legendary swords and casts for giant fireballs.

You do know killing stuff already makes you stronger right? 

Check your skill tab while you are hunting and you will see your body stats gain skill.

• Like 1

+1 for bonuses against monsters you've killed a lot, once you've killed a bunch of them ingame your character would figure out how they approach a fight and what kind of things they'll do, so they'd dodge and parry more hits from them, and butchering them would give your character insight on their anatomy and weak points in their armor to aim for . Can't really see this doing much unless they make stronger mobs/unique varieties of already existing, as all the mobs not meant for groups are laughably pathetic meat shields for anyone that's been playing for over a month.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

35 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

. Can't really see this doing much unless they make stronger mobs/unique varieties of already existing, as all the mobs not meant for groups are laughably pathetic meat shields for anyone that's been playing for over a month.

I really hope this part will be addressed by the mob AI redesign. The mechanics are already present, a troll king summons all the trolls nearby to himself and they will fight as a pack.

ff mobs would work together a pack of trolls and their little flaming pets could chew away some delicate flesh even from the more skilled and geared fighters.

The current way mobs work is getting boring after a while, they just stand and wait to be minced into pulp - they never break fight when they see themselves losing, they don't try to flank you if they are attacking at the same time, a hellhound pack will not ambush you...

@Jaz

Problem is that all mobs are mixed together. Trolls working together is a small challenge for high skill geared players, and impossible challenge for lower skilled players even with guard tower support, they'd eat the guards like a snack.

Unlike other games, Wurm has no high level and low level areas with appropriate challenges neatly corralled in their zones.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 1

+1 to new equipment, -1 to making people any stronger than they currently are.

• Like 1

If you kill a lot of creatures you might learn their weaknesses and strengths. This already exists, different creatures are more or less vulnerable against certain types of attacks as well do they all do specific types of attacks. When you have to kill that many of a creature and are still weak then you are seriously playing the game wrong.

12 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

You do know killing stuff already makes you stronger right? 

Check your skill tab while you are hunting and you will see your body stats gain skill.

Not really, most of your actual strength comes from the gear you have on.

4 hours ago, Chlodovech said:

If you kill a lot of creatures you might learn their weaknesses and strengths. This already exists, different creatures are more or less vulnerable against certain types of attacks as well do they all do specific types of attacks. When you have to kill that many of a creature and are still weak then you are seriously playing the game wrong.

It is not about being weak or not being able to kill, it is about enriching the hunting experience. If this was a real world, after killing thousands of trolls, would "I should hit this with cutting or piercing" the only thing you know about their weaknesses? You would know their anatomy, their shortcomings, their common mistakes, the kinds of weapons they use and how they use them, feints that they easily fall for, how long they can fight without exhaustion etc. etc.

Since the game is not like that, a simple bonus would cover this and add to the roleplaying aspect of the game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lucyein said:

It is not about being weak or not being able to kill, it is about enriching the hunting experience. If this was a real world, after killing thousands of trolls, would "I should hit this with cutting or piercing" the only thing you know about their weaknesses? You would know their anatomy, their shortcomings, their common mistakes, the kinds of weapons they use and how they use them, feints that they easily fall for, how long they can fight without exhaustion etc. etc.

Since the game is not like that, a simple bonus would cover this and add to the roleplaying aspect of the game.

OH this is different than what you said in the OP. I thought you were asking for damage boost against monsters you normally fight, not more information on creatures after a certain amount of kills. Total +1 if i kill 100 of a species and learn their "armor" and "weapons".

It is damage boost, because your character has fought thousands of them and knows how to fight them more efficiently. In my previous post I was just justifying the damage bonus from an immersion or roleplaying standpoint. It could also be a combat rating bonus, which would make more sense

5 hours ago, Lucyein said:

It could also be a combat rating bonus, which would make more sense

+1

On 6/13/2017 at 10:11 AM, Erevorn said:

+1

Scratch that.

6 hours ago, Lucyein said:

It could also be a combat rating bonus, which would make more sense

Chalk up +1 to that.

Eat their body parts to gain their power!

Kind of did that in BL as a tongue in cheek roleplay.

Far as gaining knowledge to better fight a creature... Black Desert online kind of has such a system where you can gain varying levels of knowledge about a mob. There's even varying quality levels of knowledge, acquisition boosts, and ways to erase the knowledge for chance at better.

Body parts would quickly turn it into something like hotfood cooking grind :P  You gotta fight them to learn them