Sign in to follow this  
Yiraia

When you were new: Wurmpedia

"Find on Wurmpedia"  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Did you use the "Find on Wurmpedia option" as a newbie?

• Yes, and I continue to use it
    • Yes, but it did not give enough information so I have stopped
    • No, I started with Wurmpedia.com and stuck with it
    • No, I did not even notice the option
  2. 2. Do you think editing the information to be more in depth would help?

• Yes, convenience is nice
    • No, Wurmpedia is available
    • No, nobody even looks at it

When I was new i remember trying the "find on wurmpedia" option and was happy to see it load quickly and not be extremely ugly. Other games often have just make an ingame browser and show exactly what your browser would show. The only problem i found with it was the lack of information, so i switched to just going on wurmpedia. I was wondering if any of you guys tried the "find on wurmpedia" option and thought the same thing as a newbie. Very bored over the summer so I'm considering editing most of the descriptions to give more information, but only if people have actually tried using it.

Well, tbh, Wurmpedia is usefull for those odd cases where you do not have access to informations ingame. Most items have their mats listed in the recipe/schematics sections of the crafting windows... and i'm not sure how efficient is 'find on wurmpedia' how tough <insert X monster> is when it's chewing on your leg.

but heck, go for it if you can (not sure what kind of access is needed) and you have the time for it.

It is in the plan to make ingame reflect the real wiki and not show this shorter text.

i find it easier to simply type `wurm <subject matter>` into my browsers address field.
the browsers set-search engine then delivers the wurmpedia page

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Steveleeb said:

i find it easier to simply type `wurm <subject matter> into my browsers address field.
the browsers set-search engine then delivers the wurmpedia page

same..

only time I use in-game option is when I just need the short info(and to skip skimming around the text on the wiki to find just the base info that's usually in the in-game wiki window(downside.. sometimes that's outdated))

Mostly.. I use the ingame feature to check skills and what sub skills raise certain stats, rest's easier to browser> wurm wiki <sumthin'>

• Like 1

The Wurmpedia is going to be better integrated into the Wurm client with the new GUI, which is why the information in the "Find on wurmpedia" has not been as updated. The Wurmpedia itself is mostly up-to-date now, and has been under major work to ensure older pages have been corrected. With the GUI update, this will no longer be an issue.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sEeDliNgS said:

The Wurmpedia is going to be better integrated into the Wurm client with the new GUI, which is why the information in the "Find on wurmpedia" has not been as updated. The Wurmpedia itself is mostly up-to-date now, and has been under major work to ensure older pages have been corrected. With the GUI update, this will no longer be an issue.

Ah okay, thanks for the news o/

• Like 1

I tried using 'find on wurmpedia' once in-game....

I find it far easier to just search what I want on the wurmpedia website instead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forrest said:

I tried using 'find on wurmpedia' once in-game....

I find it far easier to just search what I want on the wurmpedia website instead.

Easier? the load time for the "find on wurmpedia" is less than a second for me. Much nicer than opening a browser, typing wurmpedia.com, then searching for the item, and minimizing the window.

• Like 1

I keep a tab with wurmpedia open in my browser while I play, still after 4 years.

I find it neat.

• Like 2

even with a tab open, I have to manage 3 different windows if i play two characters and need to wiki something

15 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

Easier? the load time for the "find on wurmpedia" is less than a second for me. Much nicer than opening a browser, typing wurmpedia.com, then searching for the item, and minimizing the window.

downside... sometimes info's old or there's no such page:blink:

19 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

I keep the forums and wurmpedia open at all times when i'm in-game.

Just need to hit alt-tab.

Provides much more in-depth information and links to related objects/items/skills on the website.

For example, I'm currently building a knarr.

On Wurmpedia, I can click through to each sub-item required to see how to make it.

Edited by Forrest
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forrest said:

I keep the forums and wurmpedia open at all times when i'm in-game.

Just need to hit alt-tab.

Provides much more in-depth information and links to related objects/items/skills on the website.

For example, I'm currently building a knarr.

On Wurmpedia, I can click through to each sub-item required to see how to make it.

So its not that its easier, its just that it gives more information? if the wurmpedia page were the same as the find on wurmpedia option, would it be considered easier? Sorry im confused

7 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

So its not that its easier, its just that it gives more information? if the wurmpedia page were the same as the find on wurmpedia option, would it be considered easier? Sorry im confused

Easier to navigate, due to the links. If I could open Wurmpedia in a window in-side the game I would do so.

If the in-game wurmpedia doesn't provide the same functionality and information, I have no reason to use it over the website. Alt-tabbing requires almost no effort and is instantaneous.

The in-game wiki search function is also has a very poor layout and tons of formatting issues.

Knarr Example

ingameknarrwiki.pngwebsiteknarrwiki.png

If is far easier to see what is required on the website, you can click each item individually to see how it is made. It even shows that X items are needed to build the stern to form an additional part etc.

Not to mention the formatting errors at the top, ease of reading etc.

Unless the in-game version full equals the website version, I would not switch.

Edited by Forrest
  • Like 1

Ah i see, last time i tried ship building i just used the crafting menu for each part. But yeah the description for Knarr is very lack luster. Stuff like that made me want to change it. But I guess I'll wait for the new UI

• Like 1

Nothing :D its easier to reach but doesnt have everything i need. and sometimes has weird text in it meant for wurmpedia and not the ingame option

• Like 1

Wurmpedia did exist when I was a newbie; though, not in its current form.

Also didn't have a way to easily access it back then ingame via the prompt to search wiki, besides whatever was entered on item category pages (what's this?), which was usually nothing. Not to mention what content was entered typically included wiki code which the ingame viewer still doesn't read.

Soo sadly no poll options that fit :P

• Like 1

On 02.06.2017 at 2:35 AM, Keenan said:

The in-game wiki should be replaced with a browser window for the Wurmpedia, which is a pretty good source of information. Yet another thing waiting on UI and a few other upgrades which should be coming nearly at the same time.

I noticed the "find on wurmpedia" links to different pages than the main item page for the item you right click.

Example:

This is the wurmpedia entry for this item.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Marble_brazier_pillar

This is the ingame help entry for the same item: ( i just made this page but others are the same)

https://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Item:Marble_brazier_pillar 

I do like this idea but it would save space, more consistency to game play and more detailed info on items if the main page's were linked to the in game help, rather than having 2 different pages.

Maybe that's already in the works for the new gui, my thoughts anyway.

Already in the works i see, awesome.

Edited by lawurm

It was probably to separate things, to light and normal version of the information.

Plus old system does not load more than text.. image links, etc probably caused problems or looked weird shown in a tiny window. We'll see how that changes in next ui.

Item: as well as other prefixes are namespaces in the wiki. Knowing that at the time rendering an HTML document in Wurm's client was neigh impossible, the idea was to simply fetch the body of article and display that in a text window. These namespaces were designed to keep in-game help pages separate and with as little markup as possible for readability.

The inherit problem with this is that it creates a lot of extra work to maintain several articles. That's why one priority I have when we get the new UI rolling out is to ensure we can create an in-game browser window and simply use the Wurmpedia's full articles. There's other options on the table too, such as using an API of some sort so we can do more in-game (like context sensitive stuff) but that's more dreams of the future at this point. The only thing I'm absolutely set on is to start using the actual articles and not the namespaces.

That isn't to say that namespaces are a bad idea. It might be worthwhile to use them after this is done as a means to bring order to the articles. 

• Like 3

when I started playing, I kept the wiki open.  the habit has continued, so when people ask what or how I can get to the web page pretty fast.  I think it is important for established players to help noobs by linking them to the wiki.  there is nothing more satisfying to me than someone saying "thanks, I did not know that was there."  I guess it goes back to the old teaching a person to fish saying.  Many times in help you get a noob asking how do I and asking and asking, my tendency is to get short with them but no from their point of view they are trying very hard to learn the game so it is important for the game we guide them.  Changes to how ifnormation is accessed will be nice but we must all continue to be guides. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keenan said:

Item: as well as other prefixes are namespaces in the wiki. Knowing that at the time rendering an HTML document in Wurm's client was neigh impossible, the idea was to simply fetch the body of article and display that in a text window. These namespaces were designed to keep in-game help pages separate and with as little markup as possible for readability.

The inherit problem with this is that it creates a lot of extra work to maintain several articles. That's why one priority I have when we get the new UI rolling out is to ensure we can create an in-game browser window and simply use the Wurmpedia's full articles. There's other options on the table too, such as using an API of some sort so we can do more in-game (like context sensitive stuff) but that's more dreams of the future at this point. The only thing I'm absolutely set on is to start using the actual articles and not the namespaces.

That isn't to say that namespaces are a bad idea. It might be worthwhile to use them after this is done as a means to bring order to the articles. 

Personally I think this is a convenience more than anything. I think that instead of designing a whole in game browser that may clutter up resources and make an already resource heavy game even more resource intensive (not to mention more extra work for the devs in maintaining the in game browser), why dont we get the game to launch the default browser window when you click the button, with the wiki page of the object instead? This is something some other games are adopting nowdays, and keeps things much more simple. It will even make the find on... option more attractive to those who dont currently use it.

Edited by Angelklaine