Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Unicorn Horn Wands

So I got to thinking, there are a lot of minor, everyday annoyance in wurm.  My current pet peeve is sudden withering (from very old sprouting to withered overnight), it's a bugger.  I dread this happening to my trellises since I can't simply remake them!

The thing is, it's one of many tiny annoyances in wurm every day.  Removing them would remove a lot of the challenge from the game, but giving an alternative fix might be something nice.

And this is where unicorn horn wands come in.

Take one unicorn horn (weight of 1.5), have a jewellery smith attach a gem (product QL capped by gem QL, weight = 2), then have a priest cast a spell on the wand (or use the appropriate spell rune on a wand) to give it an effect.  ANYONE can use a wand and wands vanish once their QL drops below 0.

Unicorn Horn Wand + Wild Growth = Wand of Rejuvenation (use on a withered tree/bush/trellis to turn it back into a very old tree at the cost of 20 favour and 5 wand QL)

A couple more examples:

Unicorn Horn Wand + Heal = Wand of Curing (use on any diseased player or animal to remove disease at the cost of 30 favour and 10 wand QL)

Unicorn Horn Wand + Mend = Pottery Sealing Wand (use on any damaged pottery item to remove 20 damage at the cost of 20 favour and 5 wand QL)

Unicorn Horn Wand + Strongwall = Wand of Stable Footing (use on any unreinforced mine floor tile to reinforce it (default reinforced floor texture) at the cost of 30 favour and 20 wand QL)

Optional Extra: Give priests a damage reduction on wands [Damage =Base Damage*(1-(channeling/200))]

Edit:  Changed borked formula

Edited by Etherdrifter
  • Like 12

+1

Unicorns supposed to be magical so give the horn some magic.

At first I was like nah but then I realised this is possibly one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time.

+1

Very nicely thought out and balanced, Ether :)

• Like 1

Either I'm failing math .. or yours doubles the damage for priests instead of reducing it?:blink:

Spoiler
20 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

So I got to thinking, there are a lot of minor, everyday annoyance in wurm.  My current pet peeve is sudden withering (from very old sprouting to withered overnight), it's a bugger.  I dread this happening to my trellises since I can't simply remake them!

The thing is, it's one of many tiny annoyances in wurm every day.  Removing them would remove a lot of the challenge from the game, but giving an alternative fix might be something nice.

And this is where unicorn horn wands come in.

Take one unicorn horn (weight of 1.5), have a jewellery smith attach a gem (product QL capped by gem QL, weight = 2), then have a priest cast a spell on the wand (or use the appropriate spell rune on a wand) to give it an effect.  ANYONE can use a wand and wands vanish once their QL drops below 0.

Unicorn Horn Wand + Wild Growth = Wand of Rejuvenation (use on a withered tree/bush/trellis to turn it back into a very old tree at the cost of 20 favour and 5 wand QL)

A couple more examples:

Unicorn Horn Wand + Heal = Wand of Curing (use on any diseased player or animal to remove disease at the cost of 30 favour and 10 wand QL)

Unicorn Horn Wand + Mend = Pottery Sealing Wand (use on any damaged pottery item to remove 20 damage at the cost of 20 favour and 5 wand QL)

Unicorn Horn Wand + Strongwall = Wand of Stable Footing (use on any unreinforced mine floor tile to reinforce it (default reinforced floor texture) at the cost of 30 favour and 20 wand QL)

Optional Extra: Give priests a damage reduction on wands (Damage = Base Damage*100/(Channeling/2))

You're right, borked the formula should be base damage*(1-(channeling/200))

Rather than have the wand take damage, I think having the gems take damage would make more sense. And after the gems hit 0 QL, they crumble into dust.

It could help revive the pitiful gem market we have.

• Like 2

+1, wurm need the love of some more consumables items, and possibly i'll add something to collapse mine tiles: while in the old times that thing was pretty a high end feature, now that we can build in mines is more a needed feature.

18 hours ago, Rauros said:

+1, wurm need the love of some more consumables items, and possibly i'll add something to collapse mine tiles: while in the old times that thing was pretty a high end feature, now that we can build in mines is more a needed feature.

A nice disintegrate cast on a wand perhaps?

Akin to toolbelts, this could function as a toolbar for enchants.

Sounds like fun. Giving some use to favor on followers is a nice detail, too.

Just spitballing some own ideas because it's fun. Damage estimates are based mostly on gut feeling and nothing really substantial.

Opulence = cast "Refresh" on target. Replace the rune for that with a proper permanent effect for gods sake. (medium to high damage)

Light token = Wand is effectively a multi-use glowstick (with random colors each time, for good fun.) (low damage)

Fireheart  / Fire pillar / [Flaming Aura?] = light everything possible in a certain (small-ish) radius with maximum fuel (forges, ovens, etc.). Something to kickstart your kitchen/forge/distillery. (low damage)

Some possibly controversial ones:

Bless = Mobile version of the spell, mostly for transmutation. I expect this one to be hated but seriously, not everyone wants to have priest alts and physically travelling to someone for some Bless casts isn't always feasible. Can have medium to high cost for all I care so it's really just for those who live in a very remote place where otherwise no priest would bother to come to.

Courier = Like Bless, with a fixed low power output. Still far better to actually get a priest to your place for a high cast, but if you're in a pinch/just setting up and need something at all you'll have at least something until you get it sorted out properly. (low to medium cost) [Alternatively: Open the "check mail" dialog whereever you are on use and receive your mail directly into your inventory.]

Locate soul = Cast the spell on the user, for those who lost their corpse but have no priest immediately around.  (higher damage, about 30-40 so it has to be used sparingly.)

I reckon that it's tempting to just make the wands just re-enact the original spells and it's not in the spirit of the suggestion, nor would it be really sensible, and that the last 3 fall victim to that. But some things are kind of a neccessity or woefully underused due to the playerbase being spread so thin (Priests helping to locate corpses? Anyone other than your priest alt making your transmutation liquids? Seems a rarity to me.), so with higher cost and some restrictions I think it'd be fine if they were distributable as wands.

One tiny detail on the mechanism though: how would this deal with wands that have less QL than the cost of a single cast? Can this be "cheesed" by creating loads of 1ql wands with cheap gems? I think when the cost exceeds the quality of the wand, there should be a linearly scaling chance for the spell to fail to simply address that. (So a wand in "good standing" has guaranteed success, but when you cast with a 15QL wand for 30 cost there's a 50% chance to fail.)

- I read: DOUBLE the amount of uses for priest chars, (if you're calling yourself a priest and not yet at 90-95 channeling you're doing something wrong or that isn't a priority)

- and rip support beam trades 2019

Besides that two changes, it's ok

4 minutes ago, Finnn said:

- and rip support beam trades 2019

Support beams will always be needed for reinforcement on floors. I'm quite tired of argument of support beams market against portable strongwall spell for collapsing tile. Guess what i don't want to grind alt to 70 faith, i don't want to bother with someone comming around just to collapse tile or two where i messed up while working on my cave. I don't care if it's harder to transfer spell on something than to make support beam, or it is just collapsing tile, and not replacement for support beams having priests to come over for spells like strongwall, courier, genesis, etc. is inpractical and stupid, we need a way to package these spells for sending, it will benefit priests also and open market for them even more...

I overall agree, @kochinac, but

On 6/7/2017 at 7:02 PM, Etherdrifter said:

I'm a bit confused by this one, too, but it supports @Finn's argument actually. I would also prefer that wand to work as a portable collapse though.

This suggestion is old, perhaps @Etherdrifterhad priest's inability to make their own support beams for floors in mind but that argument is moot now that they can continue stuff.

1 hour ago, Flubb said:

I overall agree, @kochinac, but

I'm a bit confused by this one, too, but it supports @Finn's argument actually. I would also prefer that wand to work as a portable collapse though.

This suggestion is old, perhaps @Etherdrifterhad priest's inability to make their own support beams for floors in mind but that argument is moot now that they can continue stuff.

Oh i missed that. Than apologies to Finn, didn't read OP careful enough..

If its collapsing only and not reinforcement that would be much better. You are probably right about op intent Flubb :)

Edited by kochinac

Yup, very much right ;)

To be honest, it was also to avoid hitting mag priests as well, as their most desirable cast is strongwall.

+1

Might even add in some alchemy skill in the process somewhere.