Sign in to follow this  
Aaron_IRL

Tree Collision, really?

I try my best to avoid the test server when possible, but there have been times where I just had to make sure that I understood how new things were going to affect this game I enjoy playing (e.g. bridges, cooking, and catseyes).  Why I avoid the test server would have to be it's own topic, so it's best to stay on the topic at hand.  Tree collision is annoying, unnecessary, unwanted, and loathsome.  Just some of the adjectives that popped into my head first that can be used here without censorship.

On this latest adventure to the test server I literally ran into something I have not missed in Wurm.  Tree collision.  Why would you want to bring this back?  It makes hunting and exploring a pain.  Especially with some of the tree models that we have in this game like olive, walnut. and chestnut.  Oak would be a problem, but it has a natural mechanism that prevents groves of them from becoming impassable barriers.  That being said, if tree collision is coming back, whether we like it or not, can you at least make it so that tree models whose trunks fill most of the tile cannot grow side by side, like Oak trees.

For anyone that knows me in-game, when tree collision was removed i was finally able to put down the hatchet and enjoy wurmlife.  It now sounds like I really should be sharpening it again.  The eradication saga is...

DabRP23.jpg

• Like 11

Absolutely huge +10 from me.  I detest the tree collision.

• Like 2

Like we've said in other threads, tree collision has always been intended to return. One thing we will be looking at is improvements about how it works, trees close together blocking movement completely being the obvious one

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Like we've said in other threads, tree collision has always been intended to return. One thing we will be looking at is improvements about how it works, trees close together blocking movement completely being the obvious one

Booo.  Hissss.  -1 to this sir.   May your corn flakes be soggy this morning!

:)

• Like 8

What's wrong with having an 'impassable forest'?

If anything it gives reason to roadbuilding and adds to the wilderness.

• Like 14

I miss climbing with tree help! Bring back collision!

• Like 5

climbing with help of trees was indeed a nice thing, sadly it was hard to get the right spot to stop sliding :) 

When I first tried wurm out I played for about 3 months, one of the things I remember was tree collisions and how evil they were for a new player trying to drag a small cart around. It was forever getting caught between tree's. A year or so later when I returned that was one of the first things I noticed, was the missing tree collisions and have been happy about it ever since. Would hate to see it come back, other than making it easier to get stamina on steep terrain I can see zero benefit for having this mechanic in place.

• Like 6

That just got me to thinking of a cool feature.

We should be able to climb trees so we can look around.  lol

Being a passenger on a Caravel is a cool experience.  You get to see a lot of what's around you.

• Like 3

i hope we update the graphics models for the trees while we're at it, maybe animate it somewhat. 

i plus-one'd tree collision coming back if i recall correctly because i don't mind it and never did.
olive trees are a big problem, a forest of them is, a maze of walls.
which i no longer mind, within eyesight of my settlement, I've murdered them all.

I can see the attraction for those folks who use them to climb up hills and mountains (one of the cool things in wurm). Tree collision is also a royal pain when out hunting and mobs may/may not have tree collision while you and your horse do.

• Like 3

Maybe it's time to get 100.00000000000000001 woodcutting

We just have to keep it small.. maybe only 1000 alts with the level to be competitive, we do not want whole log market to fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pingpong said:

I can see the attraction for those folks who use them to climb up hills and mountains (one of the cool things in wurm). Tree collision is also a royal pain when out hunting and mobs may/may not have tree collision while you and your horse do.

Mobs should definitely have to go around trees as well.  One of the most frustrating, but awesome and realistic parts of being a newb was finally getting a cart and driving around like a madwoman through the forested areas of Pristine, trying to avoid mountain lions and trolls.

+1 to keeping tree collisions off until the larger trees are made into less of a problem.    Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I seem to recall a short period before collision was removed where the collision box for all trees was made smaller so for the larger trees you could partially walk through them but the center was still collision.   That tree collision would be okay, at least until something more "realistic" could be done about the large trees.

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Like we've said in other threads, tree collision has always been intended to return.

Like a bulldozer. "We decided." "We don't care".

Try not to make a mistake here, because i'm fairly certain that most of the current playerbase started playing after it was removed. If you bring it back, who knows how they'll take it.

-1 from me, but who cares

• Like 1

-1 to tree collision, just as much as I do not like creatures climbing mountains like they are flat surface, or never running out of stamina and other wogic 'normal' behavior, I just love the unrealistic speeding trough the woods(LITERALLY).<_<

--edit

1 hour ago, zigozag said:

Like a bulldozer. "We decided." "We don't care".

Try not to make a mistake here, because i'm fairly certain that most of the current playerbase started playing after it was removed. If you bring it back, who knows how they'll take it.

-1 from me, but who cares

I know for sure that I'd like to have precious resource near by.. ready to gather.. instead of removing it .. to be able to hunt and survive, have visibility, etc.

--edit

5 minutes ago, Legios said:

I hate the idea of walking through trees.. it's stupid, and just destroys any immersion. I'd welcome collision, especially player/monster collision.

destroys your immersion not mine, and it's probably also fighting server lags for checks on trees, less trees to track, less load on the server, higher number of wc skilled players overall in the end. *shrugs* it's going to be ok.. once a few more roads are formed. I just hope that animals can not go trough trees elther.. else wt*:huh::angry:

Edited by Finnn

I hate the idea of walking through trees.. it's stupid, and just destroys any immersion. I'd welcome collision, especially player/monster collision.

• Like 2

So based on the varied responses here, it got me to thinking, maybe wurm needs servers with and without the tree collision. It will be the new epic/freedom tough man of wurm debate :P

• Like 3

Oooh, and on the server without tree collision they could also add lanterns that don't take damage in my inventory while snuffed.  :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, Aaron_IRL said:

Oooh, and on the server without tree collision they could also add lanterns that don't take damage in my inventory while snuffed.  :rolleyes:

blasphemy!(suggested that.. there was no interest, people love that feature)