Sign in to follow this  
SallyIronside

Anyone else having a problem with hot food cooking

Try to determine if this is an Unlimited problem or a problem with the server I am playing on.

Under 20 cooking, I could make 74 meals in backpacks in a forge just like we can on Wurm Online and get good skill.  About 2.8 skill under 20-21 skill with sleep bonus.  Once I hit around 21 skill though, that skill gain dropped top 0.15 skill gained for the same 74 meals also with sleep bonus.

However, when I went on Wurm Online to check if gaining skill using the old system no longer work, I got 1.08 skill at 40 HFC making the exact same 74 meals using the same ingredients also using sleep bonus.  On a toon with 33 HFC skill, the same 74 meals got a gain of 1.14 with sleep bonus.

So...  Is there a bug in Unlimited or is there a bug on my server?  Can other people post some results of this test.  74 meals cooked in frying pans that are in a backpack cooked in a forge with sleep bonus.  And please don't tell me to try cooking something else because this method of raising skill still works on Wurm Online as the devs promised when the cooking update was released.

Thank you.

Out of interest, did you try several runs, or are these numbers based on single experiments?  There will be some variation between runs, although probably not that much I guess...

using pottery bowls in the backpack or what?

Just a heads up, WU has a different skill gain system than WO. It's not recommended to try and compare skill gains between WU and WO.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Niki said:

using pottery bowls in the backpack or what?

2 hours ago, SallyIronside said:

74 meals cooked in frying pans that are in a backpack cooked in a forge with sleep bonus.

Could I have been any more specific?

11 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Just a heads up, WU has a different skill gain system than WO. It's not recommended to try and compare skill gains between WU and WO.

Yes, the skill gain on WU is better not stupidly worse.  Please don't let this be the dev's explanation or excuse of why skillgain for cooking the exact same meals dropped from 2.8 skill per 74 meals when below 20 skill to 0.15 skillgain after 20-21 skill?   Also, as I stated originally, I am trying to determine if the problem (and yes it IS a problem) is with WU or with something on the specific server I am on.

Edited by SallyIronside

15 minutes ago, SallyIronside said:

Could I have been any more specific?

Well you can't even put that many pans in a backpack on WO unless a rune lets you put a extra 37 in there, so yeah you could explain better. You said this works in WO, no it doesn't. I'm trying to understand the issue and maybe be helpful. Why are you angry?

0fe1134b0b71e4f4707a233efdd2074b.png

I'm sorry.  I guess I could have been more clear.  37 frying pans per backpack.  Two backpacks full.  That equals 74.  I'm sorry if math hurts.  I will spell out every single detail next time.  Thanks.

Edited by SallyIronside

I setup a local server with 2X skill gain, made myself a GM and spawned in a forge, 2 backpacks with 37 frying pans (QL15) each and loaded them up with potatoes (QL52) and meat (QL22) which roughly simulates my test on the WU server and WO.  I then set my Hot Food Cooking skill to 21.5 which is what it was on the WU server when I got 0.18 skill gain.  I then logged out and set myself back to a regular player.  Just to be safe, I saved and restarted the server.  I logged in a confirmed that I was no longer a GM.  I activated my sleep bonus, fired up the forge and toss the backpacks in.  I ended up with a gain of 1.26 skill.  While that is roughly what I get on WO with my 30 skill toon, I understand that WU uses different calculations than WO as Keenan stated.  Still, 1.26 skill far surpasses a gain of 0.18.  So the issue must be something on the WU server I am playing on or some mod it is running.  Would that appear to be an accurate assessment?

Edited by SallyIronside

W/o any code reference.. afaik.. thre's some voodoo with the gains when you cook in forge/oven.. as you level up your skill you might have to switch them at some point to get better/more skill gains.

That aside.. if you werent the only person preparing the pans.. it's possible that another player have picked the pans in their inventory... and some of the skill gains sink there.. instead of coming to you. Try to pick all pans in your inventory(drop all on the floor, move the backpacks in the forge/oven, pick some pans in inventory, move to the backpacks inside the forge/oven.. etc etc.. until all pans have gone trough your inventory...

just to be sure that you're getting all the skill gains, other thing.. obviously.. more pans and oven/forges

I think you could fit 5x backpacks with 37 pans in each.. maybe few more outside the backpacks/some people use cauldrons(not sure about their volume in forges or how many pans they can hold.

There's quite some time since the last time I grinded that skill.. all I remember is that I get ~0.10 - 0.15 per 100 meals made in oven at 89skill, which I think is worse in a forge for some reason.

35 minutes ago, Finnn said:

W/o any code reference.. afaik.. thre's some voodoo with the gains when you cook in forge/oven.. as you level up your skill you might have to switch them at some point to get better/more skill gains.

That aside.. if you werent the only person preparing the pans.. it's possible that another player have picked the pans in their inventory... and some of the skill gains sink there.. instead of coming to you. Try to pick all pans in your inventory(drop all on the floor, move the backpacks in the forge/oven, pick some pans in inventory, move to the backpacks inside the forge/oven.. etc etc.. until all pans have gone trough your inventory...

just to be sure that you're getting all the skill gains, other thing.. obviously.. more pans and oven/forges

I think you could fit 5x backpacks with 37 pans in each.. maybe few more outside the backpacks/some people use cauldrons(not sure about their volume in forges or how many pans they can hold.

There's quite some time since the last time I grinded that skill.. all I remember is that I get ~0.10 - 0.15 per 100 meals made in oven at 89skill, which I think is worse in a forge for some reason.

I did not think of that since I was the only one filling pans, but was filling them in a cart.  I tested filling them in my inventory instead and got relatively little skill gain change.  I did however test simply frying meats and veggies and those are giving some decent skill gains.  So I can work with that until I can speak with the server admin.

Did you check that meal difficulty is the same on your test as on the server you had problems on? If I'm not mistaken to easy or to hard meals gives very little skill gain.