Sign in to follow this  
Steeloxide

Unable to locate server

most people may need to disable to version 6 ( un checked ) of the internet protocol. and just edit the settings I posted for the verison 4. this maye get u up n running n back online but is definite not a permanent solution

Apparently my happiness was too fast. My 1 character which is in Xanadu logs in with no problems, but the other one which is on Independence can't log in with the same error message, so it looks like it's a server problem not only a DNS one :(

Please help, cause I need to use my Indi char :)

Edited by Woodchuck

5 minutes ago, TeeeBOMB said:

This post is more for the game owners here. Shouldn't there be something the game owners can do. Some settings in their stuff can be fixed to allow everyone to play their game? I mean, instead of each user modifying all of their DNS settings around the world so they can play Wurm Online tonight? Then, when something does return to normal - all these dozens (hundreds? thousands) of users got to go back in again to conduct risky system changes that may have the result of completely messing up their individual computers so they can no longer connect to the internet?

Wurm/CC have no more ability to change internet settings than you do. I'm not sure exactly the error but DNS propagation takes time, a day for most DNS servers, up to a week for some. Cable cuts, router failures, DNS changes happen, not being able to play a game for a day isn't the end of the world.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Finnn said:

nevermind..

Reveal hidden contents

google> how to change dns servers windows

example.. for win7 https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-dns-servers-in-windows-7-2626271

just to be sure.. here..

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 are google's...

--edit

easier way.. just do this to fix it

In console just paste that, and

and you're done

This worked for me, thanks!

12 minutes ago, Kelody said:

I'm not sure exactly the error

Me too. I got no idea what the error is. But I have reviewed the crash logs, one from 4 days ago, and one from today. Those two crash logs read exactly the same. Four days ago people could not log on. Lots of postings (it's sort of what people do when their fav game of the day quits working). Both crash logs look like they are expressing the same issue. Exactly the same words except for the dates/times. When this happened four days ago.. Alectrys finally posted: "You should be able to enter the game with both clients now.  Thanks for your patience." So Alectrys... I'd assume.. did something, fixed it.

Of course I got no idea if its the same problem happened 4 days ago is happening today or not.

I certainly got no idea about the following too:

18 minutes ago, Kelody said:

DNS propagation takes time, a day for most DNS servers, up to a week for

I got no idea about that, sorry Kelody. DNS propatation. Wow, ya , sounds important though.

Also, just so you understand. I am not posting here on forums about not being able to play Wurm Online because I want to. I actually sat down tonight to play Wurm Online. Since I can not do that, I am here :-)

Peace? Ok?

23 minutes ago, Kelody said:

not being able to play a game for a day isn't the end of the world.

I did not suspect that was going on? On top of everything else... End of the world too?! OMG !!!!!! Shouldn't we tell someone else? I mean besides just us here on Wurm Online forums?

Well in that case, this whole Wurm Online disfuction isn't so important after all *runs out of his house w/ all his money to indulge hisself in activities he normally would not so indulge unless it was the end of the world*

:-))

• Like 1

IPv6 is coming, turning it off might not be trouble now but IPv4's days are numbered. Changing the IPv6 DNS worked fine for me.

Giving suggestions to those that don't understand the changes your suggesting is dangerous. Please be sure you recognize your audience before making sweeping suggestions like disabling a section of their OS. The fact that my PC is using IPv6 to contact Wurm is very encouraging to me.

Edited by Kelody

Tried once more without modifications and now my Indi char also can log in.

Didn't have to turn IPv6 protocol off, just change the IPv4 DNSes to Google's.

43 minutes ago, Shasheneke said:

This worked for me, thanks!

Worked for me as well 

Changed DNS for ipv4, ipv6, flushed dns, then launch wurm and still crashing, awesome game...

I didn't change anything, guess I was just lucky after several tries (connecting from Sweden).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kelody said:

changing the dns didn't work for me,

maybe it's based on location aswell (Europe)

It seems like i'm doing something wrong here but I can't think what. I know how to change dns to google's. I changed ipv6 ipv4 protocols tried with each on and off. didn't fix anything for me so I find it strange that everyone posts that this works for them. This is realy frustrating works for everyone else, why not for me...

I love this game, gameplay is awesom, but the crashes and bugs are a pain (even amde me ragequit couple of times) and who runs a game on java? besides an uneffective usage of ram and cpu and being a crash friendly enviroment. (altough the problem doesn't seem to be java at this point but nothing will surprise me)

Is there an official post from the devs yet about what the actual problem (not just say dns issues) is and when they'll solve it or if they are at least working on it?

Edited by shamflam

4 hours ago, TeeeBOMB said:

Me too. I got no idea what the error is. But I have reviewed the crash logs, one from 4 days ago, and one from today. Those two crash logs read exactly the same. Four days ago people could not log on. Lots of postings (it's sort of what people do when their fav game of the day quits working). Both crash logs look like they are expressing the same issue. Exactly the same words except for the dates/times. When this happened four days ago.. Alectrys finally posted: "You should be able to enter the game with both clients now.  Thanks for your patience." So Alectrys... I'd assume.. did something, fixed it.

Of course I got no idea if its the same problem happened 4 days ago is happening today or not.

I certainly got no idea about the following too:

I got no idea about that, sorry Kelody. DNS propatation. Wow, ya , sounds important though.

Also, just so you understand. I am not posting here on forums about not being able to play Wurm Online because I want to. I actually sat down tonight to play Wurm Online. Since I can not do that, I am here :-)

Peace? Ok?

I did not suspect that was going on? On top of everything else... End of the world too?! OMG !!!!!! Shouldn't we tell someone else? I mean besides just us here on Wurm Online forums?

Well in that case, this whole Wurm Online disfuction isn't so important after all *runs out of his house w/ all his money to indulge hisself in activities he normally would not so indulge unless it was the end of the world*

:-))

Because the other day the devs or whoever in Wurm's team fixed the issue and this time we are told they can't fix it go change your DNS...I'm with you TeeeBOMB...what's going to happened if they do something and everyone who changed there DNS are they going to be affected to?  I'm sorry but forgive me for not risking to screw up anything.

I play Wurm for something to do it's just annoying when your game won't work for who know's how many day's because you rather wait for the issue to solve on it's own then go play with settings you have no clue about what to do...

Good luck Wurmian

I'll post it here aswell this worked for me no need to change dns settings. However you do have to change some stuff in sys32 file and requires you to be admin and play around with the security settings. 

If you know how to do it:

a working temporary workaround, you will need to revert it later when the issue is fixed!

On linux:

Go sudo and add the following line to /etc/hosts:

148.251.21.205 jenn001.game.wurmonline.com

No need to restart network.

On windows you can find the hosts file at:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

Simply add the above line. Not sure if you need to restart afterwards.

This will not mess with your global dns settings

Ok! I finally got my Wurm to work.

After putzing around with things last night. I got a nap. Got back up and started putzing again this morning.

I finally got things kajiggered so my Wurm window now displays the servers and how many are on each server :-)

I had to, for my Windows 10 thing, adjust the DNS settings for both my TCP/IPv4 and TCP/IPv6 to the google DNS things.

Unfortunately, I'd recommend people not do this unless they know what they are doing. If you completely mess up your internet connection trying this stuff, have your ISP trouble call phone number so u can call to have them re establish your internet connection.

Better yet, just call your ISP and ask them how to do the changes for your particular machine (for the Google DNS things).

Technically speaking, I should not have been messing w/ this (lol). But I just could not wait. Got some farm animals to groom and some meat eaters to feed. << in game chores

Again, thanks to all the posters here that helped me out w/ their postings.

Peace

update:

I had the servers show up one time. But instead of logging in immediately, I closed that window and posted here.

Now when I open wurm, I am not getting the server usage list, again << broke again, lol.

ouch.

Edited by TeeeBOMB
update

@TeeeBOMBtry this, should work

Paste a line in console.. and hit enter, no need to restart etc.. just maybe... restart the game if you had it running to be able to see the server list... some seem to calm down when that's visible:D

3 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Paste a line in console.. and hit enter, no need to restart etc.. just maybe... restart the game if you had it running to be able to see the server list... some seem to calm down when that's visible

Well, turns out. I did get online in Wurm. For me, the server list only shows up at log on, when I have my DNS settings windows open. When I close my DNS settings windows, I can not log onto Wurm. Odd but that is how I got in game. I had to open all my DNS windows, double click my desktop Wurm Online icon. Then I saw the servers listing, BAM, now I'm in game.

I'm not sure what you mean by me pasting some line in console though. But I am in game gonna do chores quick b4 someone realizes I actually got online in Wurm and updates/fixes/recrashes me out of it ( lol ).

Peace

had a post linked above that text.. you were supposed to read that lol:huh:
if you havent touched your hosts file.. maybe.. wurm's dns madness is fixed, who knows

echo 148.251.21.205 jenn001.game.wurmonline.com >> c:\windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

In start menu's search, type 'cmd', right click it when it shows in the list.. and run as administrator, than just paste the line above, hit enter, and close the console..

That does fix it for Release at least, can't confirm for other servers.

• Like 1

Not working for me. I tried on host, I tryed on cmd, on both run as admin and still got the fff crash.

2 minutes ago, zpen said:

Not working for me. I tried on host, I tryed on cmd, on both run as admin and still got the fff crash

Ok, for me.. it did not work too. But, after setting both my ipv4 and ipv6 to googles DNS stuffs, if I left my DNS settings windows open...

Then tried to start Wurm, it worked. Even now (I am in Wurm now), if I start a Wurm window, it will not show the server list, and I can not log on (I get log on crash) unless I re open my DNS settings window. You can try that? Hope it works.

Good luck figure out how to get ur system to work Zpen.

3 minutes ago, zpen said:

Not working for me. I tried on host, I tryed on cmd, on both run as admin and still got the fff crash.

Tyvm T

4 minutes ago, TeeeBOMB said:

Good luck figure out how to get ur system to work Zpen.

Tyvm Teebomb, I tried that too, still not working. I am very disappointed, cause my friends are able to play and I am not. And no admin reply when this is gonna be solved, or why this issues started. So they gonna add me some extra premium time for not being able to get for what I pay?

19 minutes ago, zpen said:

try start > run > cmd

or basically start any console.. and type: "ping jenn001.game.wurmonline.com"

what do you get back? This ip "148.251.21.205" or something else? seems odd to let others play and not you.. (ping's a way to check if you've set the host correctly in hosts file)

hosts file skips any dns checks.. and just 'knows' which domain is what ip...(we're just using that to go around the dns issue and allow you to play the game now)
a4e2db3865514b2cbbf8bea9f16cbfc2.png