Sign in to follow this  
Klaa

Running Wurm on Android

Topic has come up off and on, and been wondering if anyone has had success running Wurm on an android device. I'm specifically curious on the Nvidia Shield tablet.

Hurdles and headaches to watch for?

On the actual device, no remote desktops :P

oh that sounds like something someone should try..

I don't think it's possible for now.

The first problem would be is that Wurm uses LWJGL 2.9.1 for all it's rendering code. LWJGL does support android but only in the much newer 3.x versions.

I don't know how hard updating would be, but even if it wasn't too hard the next problem would be that Android devices have a different subset of GL stuff (GLES) available than PCs.

All of the above would involve at least recompiling some code, and VERY likely also some porting and rewriting.

It's likely not impossible, if CC wanted to throw time and money at it, but not something you'd be able to do as a user.

Edited by bdew
  • Like 1

Not to mention most android devices don't have very high cpu specs or proper cooling for a game that would be quite intensive on it's cpu... your talking about one very hot device, and batteries in these devices are most always crammed very near the cpu.  The batteries themselves will get hot due to the drain put on them from said cpu.  For the life of the hardware i wouldn't recommend it.  I've also noticed that the bigger android devices such as larger tablets don't generally have specs that scale with their size... for the most part the bigger they are the more closer to a phone's specs they stay.  The resolution is usually lower the larger the tablet to compensate for the lack of real hardware and to keep the price in check.   Trying to run wurm is just going to frustrate you after all the effort of getting it to work.  It will probably lag to hell and back not to mention the screen resolution may very well be limited to 1024x768 or 1280x1024.  Your inventory window will take up 2/3 of the screen lol.

You could use an android emulator on a PC machine, but at that rate what's the point.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

Any of the high end consoles have anything akin to Java emulators by chance? I only own what I could get and repair on the cheap through scrap and thrift stores, so no PS4, Switch, or Xbox One yet.

I think the PS3 uses minecrafts packaged java to run, but no clue.... my old Nokia Ngage supports java!