Sign in to follow this  
MaurizioAM

Suggestion for Armor Balance

Its been debated many times that there are/have been some issues with Armor types and pros vs cons... With the conversations always ended up to a point of which players find devaluing something for balance reasons is not the best way to go and understandably so, after some great convo today about pvp and ideas on possibly changes a good point of view was presented to me which I believe would not only retain values of all armors but quite possibly even add some slight value to others.

Plate armor (Steel) being the only real viable option for newer groups or perhaps just players who may not have a bank roll is far inferior to the meta armors Drake and Scale. Although DR is similar vs Drake, the protections more importantly Vulnerability is the highest/worst in 2 categories vs other armors even such as chain, which is the reason why Glimmer/Seryll chain seem to be even superior then plate armor.  But the biggest draw back to Plate armor in general is its speed.

Now before we go ahead into just speed it up! The great conversation was the talk about how to maintain the value level of other armors namely drake as its competitor, as it would be unfair for those that have these armors would lose value due to a possible balance change. Well the comment came up where perhaps only Plate made from moonmetals were to not only gain the DR the metals give but also some bit of speed bonus to go with it.  The speed bonus is not to match the speed of Drake, but only to add a bit more of a benefit to using it. Currently even though Seryll plate armor would have more DR vs Drake, in a land fight you are still pretty much a sitting duck. The slight increase to speed for moonmetal made armors would give them a bit more of an added benefit and in turn would do 2 things. 1 probably one of the most important, is just simply not affect value of drake and scale which is a big deal, and 2nd it could potentially slightly increase the value of moonmetal armors because of yet another ability.

Keep in mind the affect here is to try to balance without creating a favorable META, at the same time not affect the economy or value of affected/related items in a negative way but possibly in a positive way instead.

Any thoughts or further suggestions? Or if you grasp the idea brought forth by "Person to name themselves" and would like to add on to strengthen its approval please do so.

• Like 2

Really love this idea.

Definetly don't make them anywhere near as fast as drake or scale but to make them slightest faster then their iron or steel counterparts would be good. Especially considering a plate set at 80ql is worth 2.5s and a seryll, glimmer or addy plateset consdierably more.

It would kinda of make moonmetal armours an option for players who don't have the funds available for drake but want something a bit better then plate! Middle ground so to speak.

+1

• Like 1

Plate doesn't seem too slow until you hit grass or sand.  Then you go to a crawl.  Be nice to not slow down.  Almost feels like making roads to run on while being chased is the same speed as running through grass. lol

I've seen guys in scale run as fast as a horse.  Or it seems so while being chased.  Always being chased...and not chasing.  lol

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 1

They need to look into this even for the PVE side of things, currently when fighting a troll with SUPREME plate it's very risky and I can end up dead because of how trolls react to plate armour. If I wear normal drake I hardly take damage and 3 trolls can be attacking me and I'd probably be okay and kill them without much damage to my HP.

I also feel like the DR on rare/supreme amour pieces is severely inadequate. I've tested it also and found out it's actually somewhat useless. I've tested rare scale, normal scale, rare drake, normal drake. You know what I found, hardly a difference if any.

Other than that I think the "pay to win when it comes to armour" kinda needs to change, if you want newer people to pvp that needs to change. Different types of armour should be good for different types of combat. Archer? Use leather/drake. Melee? Plate/scale. What a little bit of both? Chain.

Edited by Niki
  • Like 1

Zigozag, what a great video. I thought that one guy was gonna hop over the log.  Then it looked like he was gonna just bail. the result was pretty funny

This is a huge disappointment.. I expected more love for all armor, not the armor thats currently best.

10 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

This is a huge disappointment.. I expected more love for all armor, not the armor thats currently best.

I didn't want to get to deep and wanted to just bring up what seems to be a pretty good suggestion for balance for plate armor and chain armor which are the 2 that affect speed the most. They are good armors in terms of protections for the most part but because of very limiting ability to move (chain being much better then plate so it is not as affected by speed penalty) they fall real short in the food chain when in pvp vs drake/scale users and as Niki points out in pve as well for abilities to get away from mobs. Its currently like a death sentence, and while using moonmetals to make a plate set it just is a prolonged death sentence. :P

it seems the Wurm team like smaller type suggestions that can be implemented quickly if its favored by many. if we could manage to find a simple balance fix such as listed that many find favorable as a balance perhaps we can see implementation and we can tackle the next issue. I do feel this ability would help a lot though and offers more options.

• Like 1

I will just say that after wearing armor in Iraq and Afghanistan, you don't move much slower. What you do notice is that you are tired a lot sooner than when running without it. And yes I do mean running. I would like to see there being almost no difference in movement speed based on the type of armor, keep that to looking at weight and strength, but rather have water consumption adjusted, stamina used, and stamina regen all affected by the type of armor worn. Metas can be sorted later if a rebalance is necessary.

Edited by armyskin
Autocorrect
  • Like 1

I feel like moon metal plate giving faster speed could work on paper but just further promotes the necessity of it really.  Especially on Epic where armor is predominantly plate, it just furthers the gap between basic, average, and high end

The movement speed of plate does need some kind of bonus.  I'd almost feel like at the very least any helm should just not have any movement penalty at all, which yeah would be a buff for dragon armor too but it increases speed slightly across the board.  10.5->12.2 for plate, 14.6->16.3 for scale.  Dragon is still faster but plate is less painfully slow and not much changes for dragon armor anyway as it's not really hard to constantly take off and put on one armor item to walk faster

Not to derail the thread, but Niki trolls do mauling dmg, and plate is weakest to mauling compared to chain or leather or etc where those armor are better for that specific DMG.  The amount of dmg taken per hit adds up fast when a troll does a furry.  Anything that does crushing DMG will always hurt plate wearers faster than a chanimail wearer fighting the same opponent.

I've suggested long time ago few things about armors, maybe I'll remind it.

To me we need more armors in total. Not only to balance existing ones. In fact we have now Wurm's meta in matter of armors. You're going in plates for hunting/ rifts/ uniques if you can't afford a Drake set. If you can, than you have no better/ same option, but buying a drake. If you can afford, and you wanna shine up, you're buying scale. Chains and leathers are pretty much only for walking around or few peeps who want to look different than others. But fact is, that when you go for a hunt you see only guys in Drake/ Plate and just a few in other kinds of armor, there's pretty much no other reasonably variants. Because you have to choose between look you like, and defense variants. 

If we put actual armors defense values ona  diagram, we'll see just a few points. It's hard to adjust a balance diagram with just a few points on it, and by adding new kinds of armor, we'd add more points to make our balance diagram smoother. 

For example:

Plate armors- made of Iron and bronze

Fur armors- made of animal furs and leather

Lamellar armor- made of iron/ steel/ copper scales/ bronze

Bronze armor sets- in kinda greek style 

Spoiler

b6897a0d6af601af4cd87f730ee351e8.jpg

Half plate Armor- Lighter Variant of plate, lower DR, faster walking 

Spoiler

AH-3896N.png

Reinforced Chainmail- Chain set reinforced with metal scale, just like leather set/ studded leather set.

Add helmet for scale sets- made of skulls of course :)

I'm not saying it'll make all armors "usable" again. But at least we'll get for variations, more options, more stuff to play with. And perhaps we'll get rid of clone army on each rift/ hunting. Also it'll be easier to smoothly balance everything if we get more variables to put on our diagram. 

And we'll be able to personalize our toons better than before. 

Also Armors market will get a great customers boom with new sets. 

Edited by Alkhadias
  • Like 2

anything you do to one armour set with out doing something to the others lessens the value of those armour sets so if you make plate slightly faster you are devaluing drake and scale even if you dont think you are because if you make plate more attractive to player they are not looking to buy scale or hide sets devaluing the existing sets  and future hide and scale sales so if you were to improve plate you would need to do some thing to improve hide or scale