Sign in to follow this  
Steveleeb

Latency when booting client before login

Hi, the answer is slightly obvious but i'd like to see it written.

When i boot Wurm Online (stable version and to a slightly lesser degree, the unstable), my system's latency shoots up. 
the mouse moves like it's in treacle. This is before you log in. 

I have an 8 thread AMD FX.
For my colleague, who has a modern i7, this also occurs.
however, on my quad core i7 laptop (2011 tek / i7-840QM) there is no lag at all. 

Does this simply mean that our game is in no way optimised for anything with more than 4 cores/threads?
ty

• Like 2

upon recommendation i have replaced the wurm online boot process (target) with this;

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_131\bin\javaws.exe" -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp

It now boots more like the unstable client but still, latency shoots up compared to my laptop, which suffers none.

• Like 1

duel monitor? are you running a Display port and DVI/VGA?

mine does this when i put the Display port cable on me monitor.. 

noyes, the displayport1.4>hdmi adaptor is connected to the DK2 (oculus rift) 
the 4k tv (active) is connected via hdmi (v2 - http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-49UF6700-uhd-led-tv)
the monitor, is connected via DVI

the latency also occurs when the monitor is not active. 
don't ask me about how active the DK2 is, it is not powered until i boot the oculus client (amber led when dormant)
although the tracker turns on randomly. (IR webcam)
I would ask on the oculus forum but im convinced the staff don't bother reading it.
if they did, we'd be able to filter the list of software because that's been heavily demanded/requested/suggested.

so, bottom line, my primary output display is connected via HDMI2
My colleague has more displays connected than i, including, a Vive

edit - 

Spoiler

FwQQcTA.jpg

Following defragmentation of the graphics.jar, the `stalling` occurs for a much shorter time. 
I'll move wo to the SSD in the next few days, see if it improves.

further edit;
Moving it to an SSD made no discernible difference to the defragmented result.

Edited by Steveleeb

Aye, I'm the "colleague" that's been mentioned here.

I 4 monitors, 3 of which are on DisplayPort, while one is on a DVI connection. My Vive, is connected via a HDMI, but is on standby unless I boot up SteamVR.

To be honest, older versions of Wurm didn't do this to me, then I think it was a specific Java update, or even a Wurm update that I started noticing it, but for all I know, I could of changed monitor setups inbetween those two times and didn't even account that for being a possibility =/

And since my main monitor only supports DisplayPort input, and the other three only DVI (I'm using a lot of adapters to pull off my setup (know not smart, but they're what I had when I went multi-monitor setup :P )), I don't have a means to test this with just an HDMI, single monitor setup to know if that's entirely the case of the latancy or not.

• Like 1

Would love to see a dev answer here.  I, too, have an 8-core FX proc oc'd and WO only utilizes 1 core from what I can tell.  I had to overclock to 4.0ghz due to WO utilizing 1 core at the default 3.2ghz, which wasn't at all an increase from my old 4-core 3.0ghz.

• Like 1

@Nomadikhanwindows still spreads the work~, either way.. unpark your cpu cores, warm up the room.

54 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

Would love to see a dev answer here. 

+1

• Like 1

+1 to the issue in this thread. I've been experiencing it for a few consecutive updates now, both with Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited.

I only experience some 5-6 seconds of stutter myself, but some people experience several minutes of choppy unresponsiveness before the game pulls up.

For both games, it's happening to me before the actual launcher appears on the screen. (For Wurm Online, it's happening while the splash logo is on the screen, before the launcher itself comes up.)

Here are my system specs...

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60 GHz (4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors)

Gfx: NVidia GeForce GTX 960

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Storage is 256GB SSD, and both Wurm and Java are installed to and run from it (both WO and WU)

Java 8 Update 131 64-bit -- 32-bit isn't even installed, and auto-update is dismantled

And here are the things I've tried to see if they help with the issue...

- Tried passing the command-line arguments mentioned as a suggestion in a post above me (by Steveleeb), no effect.

- Tried unplugging my second monitor and after a full reboot to ensure proper reporting of gfx capabilities, no effect.

- Tried specifying a processor affinity mask with a start command in a batch file as follows:

@echo off

start "" /affinity 0xF /b "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_131\bin\javaws.exe" http://www.wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient.jnlp

@echo on[/CODE]

no effect.

All my drivers are up to date, and I've reinstalled both WO and WU numerous times over the course of the last few months, but this issue has never gone away. I can't recall exactly what update version the issue began happening with, but it was recent.

More than a year later and this is still a problem. I guess on the bright side, my Discord buddies get a hilarious kick out of it every time I boot up Wurm while I'm talking. Apparently I sound like T-Pain.

Edited by Ignacius

Has anyone ever found a solution to this problem? I have had this issue for over 2 years now. It doesn't occur on a separate computer that I use from time to time but every time I launch the wurm login it lags my main computer for a solid 5 to 10 seconds, some times a bit longer. It's not the worst problem to have but it is very annoying having to make sure I'm muted in discord first and have all my videos paused or muted so the lag doesn't make them sound all garbled and the video doesn't lag/crash. I have tried wiping out the wurm client folder and starting from scratch and also resetting/reinstalling java but nothing makes a difference. My buddy has the same issue and we have a running joke when we are in comms together that we'll be back in 15 seconds cause we are launching a new wurm client. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

7 hours ago, Araxiel said:

Has anyone ever found a solution to this problem? I have had this issue for over 2 years now. It doesn't occur on a separate computer that I use from time to time but every time I launch the wurm login it lags my main computer for a solid 5 to 10 seconds, some times a bit longer. It's not the worst problem to have but it is very annoying having to make sure I'm muted in discord first and have all my videos paused or muted so the lag doesn't make them sound all garbled and the video doesn't lag/crash. I have tried wiping out the wurm client folder and starting from scratch and also resetting/reinstalling java but nothing makes a difference. My buddy has the same issue and we have a running joke when we are in comms together that we'll be back in 15 seconds cause we are launching a new wurm client. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

This is not an issue anymore on the preview client - http://wurmonline.com/client/wurmclient_preview.jnlp

Thank you very much Samool, it launches beautifully. What is the difference between the preview and the stable versions? Is the preview client just a rebranded test client or something different?

Edited by Araxiel

11 hours ago, Araxiel said:

Thank you very much Samool, it launches beautifully. What is the difference between the preview and the stable versions? Is the preview client just a rebranded test client or something different?

It's a different version of the client with some performance improvements and memory optimizations - if it works for you, should be pretty much the same as stable but better.

It hasn't replaced the stable client yet just because some systems have issues running it, but that affects only a few configurations.