Sign in to follow this  
Skyhawk

[Resolved] sandstone way too common

so far in my mine project, in a 70 tile area I have encountered 7 sandstone veins, more than iron, and each has had 5-10k in it. We need some fast way of removing these nuisance veins. A bauble sold at the trader for 1i that converts sandstone to rock only would be nice.

I have a very large mine complex and there are like 3 veins in that entire complex. I think you may have just been lucky... or unlucky lol.

4 minutes ago, Yldrania said:

I have a very large mine complex and there are like 3 veins in that entire complex. I think you may have just been lucky... or unlucky lol.

newly opened mine of old explored one?

(it seems like people are finding it when opening new areas)

6 minutes ago, Araninke said:

Too much sandstone? No such thing!

Fine Araninke, you come mine these out, I have at least 3 more prospecting in the area needing to go. so far all except 1 have been 5k+, and immune to disintegrate. First it was rocksalt with all its bugs and now this.

If rock above them is exposed they can be lava'd away. Just takes time.

9 minutes ago, Aeryck said:

If rock above them is exposed they can be lava'd away. Just takes time.

yes, I have already started an alt on power path when I found that disintegrate doesn't work, so IN 8 WEEKS I will have a better solution to a problem that was sprung upon us without sufficient testing. 

It really is too common.  Consider building with stone.  We used stone for just about everything for a while.  1 tile of stone is ~50 shards.  Standstone veins will average around 6000-7000 shards ("only a few weeks remaining" is most common for a vein).  According to Bdew's code diving, there is a 1 in 64 chance of a tile being designated as sandstone AND if you mine it out and collapse it to rock again, it will morph back into sandstone.  So, divide 6000 by 64 and you get 93.  That is nearly double the amount of stone shards.  Do we need 2x more sandstone than regular stone?

Let's make it much more rare, like 1 in 200 chance.  Also, yes to a quick way to remove a sandstone vein, because of all the strongwalling we do to fix our mines for remining - gotta have perfect mines!

Since this appears to be posted in the Server Bugs section, an official response on whether this is intended or a bug would probably be helpful.

Discussions and opinions should likely rather be conducted in another topic, maybe in Suggestions or Town Square. :) 

• Like 1

And now in an area that has been completely mined out and collapsed (strongwall), a surface prospect:

[20:49:20] There is sandstone (normal quality), sandstone (good quality), sandstone (very good quality) and sandstone (acceptable quality) nearby.

So not just a nuisance but also an infection.

Its seems to be regional like other veins. You can have your mine filled with those, yet someone else away from you can't even find one. My mine is filled with slate for example, yet I see people say, that they can't find it.

I don't think its too common, I hunt a lot of old mine systems and I have yet to find a pocket like I have heard about.

You are just being lucky as the sandstone is very good for skill, plus all that new lovely building materials.

• Like 1