Sign in to follow this  
Jaz

Align coalpile ql to skill and materials ql used

(offtopic) I was kindly advised to avoid strongwalling for now so I'm trying to break other things in Wurm. During this I got to the following: (ontopic)

Currently coal piles tend to finish at a much lower ql than the coalmaking skill and the materials avg quality.

Building a pile with 70ish skill and using 80ish materials will likely create an 55-65 ql coalpile.

I would suggest to adjust the difficulty of making piles so that the pile ql would better reflect the skill and materials.

• Like 1

One day... (probably only in wu...) ql70 logs/dirt.. are going to produce a 65-70ql pile... one day.. "I swear":rolleyes:

+1 Why is this even like this....

Steel ql can be uped with good ql iron, but i bet its painful at really high ql.

High ql ash is faster gained from campfires

Tar well i am pretty sure we can all dig high ql than we can make from pile's.

Charcoal making was one career i wanted to pursue in wurm but as you can see its rather pointless for anything except the coal.

Its annoying to have a ql level drop so much for your skills and mats compared to everything else in game?.  :rolleyes:

+1

But if they make piles easier, it will become more difficult to grind the skill on higher levels.

+1  with 90 skill and 90ql mats  i get around 70ql pile or even lower, did it while ago so cant remember exact coalpile ql. But good idea!

3 hours ago, zigozag said:

+1

But if they make piles easier, it will become more difficult to grind the skill on higher levels.

Currently almost no point to grind the skill above 70...

Just to clarify, the end result isnt any difficulty thing, but each piece added has a randomness to quality gain (like everything), over the course of 22 parts that randomness can build up. 

It still much lower as an end result compared to other multipart items like walls, bridges for very click examples. Is it more a bug then, maybe a multiplier in the equation when adding a part? Sadly I'm bad in programming so cannot dig up the WU source for that :(

Edited by Jaz

I don't think it's a bug, it's just designed that way (and IMO badly designed).

Attaching stuff to unfinished items does a skillcheck for every attached items, and QL added with each step is relative to the result of that skillcheck. There is a difficulty factor but it's 15 for coal piles, which isn't particularly high (e.g. a knarr has 60 difficulty).

The problem is that the results successful skillchecks still fit a Gaussian distribution, and even with 100 skill and 100 materials, a good number of those rolls will be significantly below 100, so the resulting QL will be significantly lower than skill and material.

Now this is true for any item that's built in steps, but most of them are impable so no one cares. The problem with piles is that they can't be improved.

In contrast, items that are built in simple crafting and can't be improved (e.g. locks, ropes, etc.) generally come out at much higher QL than items that can be improved, often as much as 5x higher.

So IMO - either piles should be improvable (possibly only before they are lit) OR they should get a bonus to their QL when created.

There was also a "BIG EDIT" here, but that resulted from me failing at reading. Disregard that.

Edited by bdew
  • Like 2

I would be happy with the impable until lit way too - that would be similar to the pottery items.

Also would introduce a less painful way of skill grinding to a currently create-only skill.

If that is not going to happen for skill balance or similar reasons the tweaking of result ql is still stays as a suggestion - there are other items too where the ql seems to jump up significantly when you add the last part (compared to the unfinished item ql which only missing a single part).

How about leaving it the way it is and consumers just pay more for steel items? Not saying I like or agree with the coal pile formula but many things like this could be fixed if people would just pay what they are actually worth. Like compasses: there are several ways to make them better so that creating and maintaining one wasn't such a pita but if people didn't scoff at 3s for an INCREDIBLY difficult item with a 90 Enchant that never decays and never needs replaced (as long as you are careful) then those fixes wouldn't need fixed

So +1 yeah let's fix it. But if we can't fix it then let's all agree that steel is just worth more.

To be honest I don't care about the coal ql - ash is what concern me. The 60+ql coal is good enough for real good steel output.

Creating a lot of campfires are a tedium. Also there is a reason I do not sell plate sets and compasses, Aeryck :P

Edited by Jaz

Oh well ash is a different topic then. Are you using the ash for lye?

*edit

Of course you're using it for lye lol. New suggestion; forges produce ash based on forge ql. I think someone already suggested this a while back.

Edited by Aeryck

yes some WU servers offer that - it is good and a bit annoying at the same time. With a rate set cleverly can be a gift though. I won't mind to see my 70+ coalmaking go useless ...

Reducing the randomness on parts would be a great thing... i mean, with 95 masonry and 45QL mortar and bricks i land 85QL walls, why coal making can't be the same? QL of the component divided by amount of parts add to the QL of the end item, virtually increase the amount of parts if you want to lower the end QL for 'balance' sake, but that would be better than random(92ql)+random(92)+random(92)+random(92)+random(92)+random(92)+random(92)+n(parts)=44QL.

TL;DR : +1

3 hours ago, Odynn said:

Reducing the randomness on parts would be a great thing... i mean, with 95 masonry and 45QL mortar and bricks i land 85QL walls, why coal making can't be the same?

You've been using supreme trowel ?

24 minutes ago, Finnn said:

You've been using supreme trowel ?

That's the difference, construction adds the tool ql. Coal does not.