Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

[Resolved] Strongwall created Sandstone

over the years, I've been hard at work, erasing abandoned mines that were a mess of chaos, with drops and traps.  Mostly on deeds I have, but sometimes in the wild when they really bother me.  I map all my on deed mines and  have kept track of how many strongwalls I've cast over the years and it is well over 1000.  In all that time, I've never spawned a vein of anything.  Recently, I came back to Wurm, to enjoy all the new features and restarted a strongwalling project.  I've cast it maybe 20 times since returning last week and last night produced a Sandstone vein.

Was my lack of veins previously just bad RNG?  Is strongwall supposed to produce veins with the same odds of a cave in?  Is this a bug with the new Sandstone tile?

Thought it might be worth mentioning.

• Like 1

Lets hope they changed it so we can get a random ore like we are meant to get.

I have done my fair bit of strongwall casts too and have never seen an ore spawn. The only time I have ever seen an ore spawn was on an entrance that collapsed on its own and that was a bit of a pain to fix, lol

Edit: Well i say we are meant to get a chance at ore i know the cave in tiles have the chance so i would think the strongwall would work the same. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Done several hundred casts and never seen this. Not done many since sandstone was introduced though.

• Like 1

I'll see if I can get a dev answer for this.

• Like 1

Or it could be that sandstone spawning is ultra common. Just in a 5x8 area I have had 6 veins spawn when they added them to game, and 5 of those veins had 5-10k in them to start. -AND- they are very annoying to get rid of.

This would be sweet, unless of course you were attempting to fix a mine entrance from the inside. :P

I have a feeling (though I could not prove it yet) that sandstone spawn is still in progress, I'm getting surprised a few times finding a seemingly new one in my tunnel walls.

I have never spawned any ore from strongwall, done around 100 casts during the last weeks.

I really hope veins made by strongwall are unintended...

true.  with as available as veins are now, with less crowding on the servers, we don't need more "oops" veins

4 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

over the years, I've been hard at work, erasing abandoned mines that were a mess of chaos, with drops and traps.  Mostly on deeds I have, but sometimes in the wild when they really bother me.  I map all my on deed mines and  have kept track of how many strongwalls I've cast over the years and it is well over 1000.  In all that time, I've never spawned a vein of anything.  Recently, I came back to Wurm, to enjoy all the new features and restarted a strongwalling project.  I've cast it maybe 20 times since returning last week and last night produced a Sandstone vein.

Was my lack of veins previously just bad RNG?  Is strongwall supposed to produce veins with the same odds of a cave in?  Is this a bug with the new Sandstone tile?

Thought it might be worth mentioning.

I've been told that there should be no chance for a strongwall to create something other than a cave wall.  I suppose that it's possible for a tile to be polled the minute you created a cave wall and it turned to sandstone, but that's reaching.

Did you actually see the sandstone immediately?  Did it turn to sandstone within a day?   Please do post if it happens again.

It was the last cast I started before going to sleep.  I did not see it complete the cast, but when I woke up and looked, it was Sandstone, so about 8 hours of time, where I was not watching.  Do Sandstone tiles continue to form, or is that process complete?  If complete, then there is no other answer than it came with the strongwall.  I am watching closely on every cast and I've run another 30 since starting this thread.  All rocks so far.

Based on your account, I'd say the wall was a cave wall, then sometime while you were offline that tile was polled and became a sandstone.  I've heard similar reports about rock salt as well.  Thanks for your details.

So that is something to ponder.  How long before all rock tiles become sandstone?  Or does sandstone only form on exposed tunnel walls?  As I've explored caves, since my return, the number of sandstone tiles exposed seems exceptionally high.  Maybe this needs to move to another location to discuss, but I'm quite concerned for the future of mining operations.

Edit:  And thank you for your help!

Edited by Wurmhole

Strongwall can't ever spawn veins, it will always produce rock tiles.

Rock is converted to rocksalt/sandstone by the tile poller which goes in cycles through the whole server and does tile-related stuff (this includes tree/grass/etc. spreading, caveins, and such). It doesn't have to be exposed to convert.

It will cycle through the whole server in about a RL day IIRC, When exactly it happens depends on where the tile is relative to the cycle.

Added: ~1/64 of rock tiles become sandstone and ~1/100 rocksalt. This is completely position depended, so if you mine out a sandstone tile then collapse it with strongwall - it will become sandstone again.

(This is all based on WU code, but i'm 99.9% sure it's unchanged from WO)

Edited by bdew
  • Like 1

I reproduced this on my deed.

Even asked a GM to remove it since it was in the center of a reinforced tunnel.

What happen was I fully colapsed a tunnel to surface mine above it. Then like a couple hours later I reopen it as it was but at a lower level.

2 of the rock tiles I colapsed turned into sandstone :o

My theory is lol :P when Wurm launched the sandstone veins, it didnt checked for open holes inside the mines, open mine tunnels. So if u colapse a hole that was a open rock floor ,and that tile got a sandstone vein when they were launched, instead of it becoming a rock tile, it will become a sandstone vein. Can always be wrong tough lol :P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bdew said:

Strongwall can't ever spawn veins, it will always produce rock tiles.

Rock is converted to rocksalt/sandstone by the tile poller which goes in cycles through the whole server and does tile-related stuff (this includes tree/grass/etc. spreading, caveins, and such). It doesn't have to be exposed to convert.

It will cycle through the whole server in about a RL day IIRC, When exactly it happens depends on where the tile is relative to the cycle.

Added: ~1/64 of rock tiles become sandstone and ~1/100 rocksalt. This is completely position depended, so if you mine out a sandstone tile then collapse it with strongwall - it will become sandstone again.

(This is all based on WU code, but i'm 99.9% sure it's unchanged from WO)

I underlined the part that makes me ok with it all.  Now it makes sense.  Now I need to find that one Utmost sandstone tile and I'm set for life.  Thank you Bdew!

Also, thank you Alectrys (and devs) for digging up info on what was happening - and Tuga for some confirmations.  Looks like this is pretty well sorted out now.

Edited by Wurmhole

Yup.. at least until devs figure their mistake and fix vein revives..:rolleyes:

I'm going to call this resolved and close it.  The one fact we do know is that collapse will not create something other than a cave wall.  As far as the tile poll percentage for veins or anything, that can be changed at any time.  It seems that when a new tile is introduced, it's more frequent and then tuned down afterwards.