Sign in to follow this  
Radni

Games with the feel of wurm?

Looking for a game with the feel that wurm had, the whole map felt alive when it was at its peak. Traders all over, neighborly disputes etc etc, but the game felt alive. Never got that in another game except maybe EVE.

Thinking about the new Life is Feudal MMO? or Star Citizen once it has a game with it and isn't just a beta test.  EvE is too overwhelming for me lol.

What other games have y'all played/are looking forward to that have given you a similar feel to wurm? and preferably games Rolf doesn't own ;) 

Hard to believe Star Citizen isn't complete, I mean $150 Million in crowd funding!  Guess it takes the time it takes.  Thing that worries me about that one is they sell new ships and ship upgrades on their store?  Does that mean when I'm ready for a new ship, I have to shell out $45 of real cash?  Every time?  I'm not exactly made of money, so that wouldn't work for me.

The graphics look amazing, prospect for VR is awesome, a lot to like... but I like having food in the fridge too.

Friend of mine tried LiF MMO, it was lacking.  I don't remember exactly what the issue was.  I think maybe the cookie-cutter housing experience, rather than the more free-form system in Wurm for one.  Had other issues too, just didn't measure up to Wurm.

Years ago, might have said Xsyon, but not even remotely anymore.  I think Rolf got annoyed by that competition, stepped up his game, hired a few folks, and basically crushed it.

I don't know how Black Desert Online is looking these days?

I did enjoy that while I played it.  The meta mechanics in PvE are interesting. (or were at the time).

I left because while they were nice enough to include a quest at level 50 to remain PvE, PvP started at 45.... yeah.... not exactly genius.  They have fixed that though.

Just couldn't get back into it last time I tried, back to Wurm.  Probably enough there to enjoy at least a couple weeks though, overall.

Elder Scrolls Online?  Also had fun with that for a bit, but honestly seems to lack the depth I find in Wurm.  Less of a life simulation and more of a fantasy game.  Not quite as pew pew easy as SWTOR, but not really that far either.  Back to Wurm.  Think I lasted about a week.

Gloria Victis?  Pretty different from Wurm, but the fighting mechanics were more like Mount&Blade which was fun.  There was harvesting and crafting, though again not as good as Wurm at all.  No housing, I don't think.  The PvP group fights were fun though.  Still in Beta I believe.  It was in Beta when I played it.  Been a while.

Ultimately, back to Wurm.  I don't think it'll be a place to live, but you might have fun with it a week-end.

Eve Online  Awesome game, will likely always drop in occasionally, but inevitably the vastness of space just feels so isolating.  Years ago I joined player corps and such, but no way I have the time to invest in it anymore.  Without that, I'm not sure I've ever actually spoken with anyone in game.  Pair that with the grandeur of space... I just can't quite hack it lol.

TL;DR Got nothin, sorry.

1 hour ago, Reylaark said:

Hard to believe Star Citizen isn't complete, I mean $150 Million in crowd funding!  Guess it takes the time it takes.  Thing that worries me about that one is they sell new ships and ship upgrades on their store?  Does that mean when I'm ready for a new ship, I have to shell out $45 of real cash?  Every time?  I'm not exactly made of money, so that wouldn't work for me.

The graphics look amazing, prospect for VR is awesome, a lot to like... but I like having food in the fridge too.

In my opinion, that's the trouble with the crowd funded games. At least those I've seen so far, like Shroud of the Avatar.  It never ends, because then the funding ends. It's just one money grab after another, ad infinitum.  Of course from day one, there's the promise and lure that "someday" it will all be free, so keep spending all your money on it in the meantime (and if you don't spend big on the game, you are some kind of <expletive deleted> who doesn't "care" about the game).  lol.

From time to time over the last couple years I've gone on a hunt for a game with the feel of Wurm, and come up empty every time.  Honestly, the closest I've ever seen to the feel of Wurm is UO.  One of the very first things I noticed and that sold me on Wurm is the similarity of "feel" to UO.  Wurm is, imo, superior to UO in so many ways, although there are a few things I'd like to see in Wurm that are more like the UO systems.  But as much as I loved UO, I don't think I could go back to the top-down (really more of a slanted view, not top-down, not sure what it's called), view now after Wurm.  :)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 3

I played 7 Days to Die for a couple of months.

It's a zombie survival game that has a lot of similarities to Minecraft.

It's easier to start out if you have a couple of friends to play with. It's pretty difficult starting up alone though.

The graphics are about on par with Wurm though.

• Like 3

Main question.. what do you like or .. would you like to be able to do?..

Wurm's a sandbox..

There are plenty of ....... sandboxes that get boring in 1-6 weeks, everything is much faster paced.. and you get to try almost whole content in short time.. than you're bored from it.. etc..

I've spent the past 10 years looking for one, never found it.

Many have tried, all have failed.

Every game that has attempted it, has gone for mass, 'casual' appeal. Something that can never work...at least if everyone is on the same set of servers.

The game has to be as slow as Wurm, or it will be trolled/griefed/destroyed. (People have tried that in WO as well)

Persistent, non-instanced housing is an extremely fine balance to maintain.

For all the grief the players give the devs here, they have somehow managed it and that deserves some kudos.

Haven and Heart was probably the closest anyone came to emulating the WO experience. Although it is severely lacking imo. (Haven't tried it in years)

• Like 2

Wurm has reminded me of Ultima Online in various ways but I stopped playing that game years before starting Wurm so those are just somewhat clouded memories from the past. Active Worlds also has some Wurm building concepts but in a more paneled style that actually offers more creativity while being at the same time more bland environmentally. That was the main building style game I played until starting with Wurm.

To me the beauty of Wurm's environments when combined with player creativity in shaping and building within them has no equal; thus, here I remain. I include Wurm Unlimited in this too since it is basically the same game modified to various tastes. Wurm Online - Wurm Unlimited = Same family members.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

I played haven and hearth years ago to try it out... unless they fixed the server lag issues i'd just stay away from it.  I remember it being horribly laggy sometimes, waiting on the servers to respond to complete actions.

Salemthegame was my favorite sandbox mmo. The only reason why i had left it was because of permadeath + openworld pvp + no max on stats. Those were the best stayed the best and could kill you if they had felt like it with their alts. Starting alone is too difficult but almost mandatory in a place where you can trust no-one o.o.

• Like 1

I came to wurm after playing both salem and haven; of the two I would say haven is the better game now.

Namely because haven, unlike salem, offers active discouragement for random murder acts.

well jorb and loftar left salem or sold it to work on h&h 2 - game is a lot better these days.

Same, I came from Salem the MMO to Wurm Online as well. :)

Kinda stopped playing after my deed was raided...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bittereinder said:

Same, I came from Salem the MMO to Wurm Online as well. :)

Kinda stopped playing after my deed was raided...

I raided myself when I wanted to quit, dropped everything on the ground and logged out. 

• Like 2

That is why people play PVE. No deed raiding. All your hard work is protected.  You should maybe try coming over to the Light Side. you may very well like it. 

7 minutes ago, Lolabelle said:

That is why people play PVE. No deed raiding. All your hard work is protected.  You should maybe try coming over to the Light Side. you may very well like it. 

is that a new game feature in Salem?

11 minutes ago, drvst said:

https://conanexiles.com/

Conan Exiles looks potentially promising.

Not really.. it's just another dissapointment, that requires server wipes every week or two.. (same with rust/ark/rok/lif/etc..)

Some names there I don't recognize,  will give me something to check out.

I played a bit of Salem, had a hard time getting into it. Bet if I had someone to play with I'd be more inclined.   I looovveee permadeath games, to me, I get way more into the character I play.

I'm currently waiting for Dual Universe to release its pre alpha. The only game I've ever backed.   Been watching star citizen years ago, and saw what happened with them. Hence the single time fund me donation.

Another fun one I don't think I saw is Mortal Online.  Can be a thief and pick pocket players, I believe there is some sort of structure crafting. Faction warfare,  and the combat is similar to chivalry I suppose. Where your weapon hits dictates damage (be to close and you hit them with the handle)    free to play... But skill cap at 20 I think.  Can't pay for sub in game currency, unless they changed that.   Your age, weight etc all matter, effects your skills.   Such as a obese or fat mage has slightly higher intelligence I believe, while slim you move faster and Dodge more effectively.   Hmmm I may have to play it again now :P

Edited by 5p34k3r

Checked out the trailer for Mortal Online. The rug at 28 seconds in looks almost like they just took the model from Wurm (fine meditation rug) :P

4 hours ago, Darkshade said:

Checked out the trailer for Mortal Online. The rug at 28 seconds in looks almost like they just took the model from Wurm (fine meditation rug) :P

[Edited for length.]

rugs.png

• Like 4

Many games use art and sound assets that are freely available on the web. So wat probl