Sign in to follow this  
Thorakkanath

Horrible performance

1 hour ago, Saroman said:

Try uninstalling the Virtu MVP thing, seems to cause issues and worse performance for many titles so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason.

Uninstalling it dropped my performance to 15-17fps

the only thing that made a difference is enabling multi-thread in my nvidia control panel for jp2lanucer and javaws - that made wurm run at 26-28 fps again, but not more

Edited by Thorakkanath

5 hours ago, Thorakkanath said:

Uninstalling it dropped my performance to 15-17fps

the only thing that made a difference is enabling multi-thread in my nvidia control panel for jp2lanucer and javaws - that made wurm run at 26-28 fps again, but not more

Something is weird with your system, I get 160+ in caves, 80+ in open or underdeveloped areas and 40+ in huge deeds on high settings.

Just now, permo said:

Something is weird with your system, I get 160+ in caves, 80+ in open or underdeveloped areas and 40+ in huge deeds on high settings.

unsure about that, everything else works perfectly fine - I tested (and posted earlier in the thread) other games, performance, office, video, etc. - everything works according to expectations - so it is definitely not my system - it has to be java and/or wurm

To me it looks like software/ drivers problem. 

I'm running Wurm without any troubles on similar machine. 

Intel i5- 6600k oced to 4.8Ghz

EVGA 1070 SC ACX 3.0 oced to 2135Mhz and memory to 8545Mhz

G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4, 16GB- 3200Mhz 14CL

Patriot Blast SSD 120GB

And without any troubles I can run my Wurm on Stable 60+ (fps limit). However I've noticed that Wurm's very sensitive for CPU clocks. You can always try to OC your clock a lil bit up and see if that's any help. Thou i really doubt it's your hardware or game problem. Maybe just a RAM slows game a bit, but that's not the case.  Probably you gotta check your drivers/ java/ .Net Framework/ Uninstall Nvidia Experience/. 

1 hour ago, Alkhadias said:

To me it looks like software/ drivers problem. 

I'm running Wurm without any troubles on similar machine. 

Intel i5- 6600k oced to 4.8Ghz

EVGA 1070 SC ACX 3.0 oced to 2135Mhz and memory to 8545Mhz

G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4, 16GB- 3200Mhz 14CL

Patriot Blast SSD 120GB

And without any troubles I can run my Wurm on Stable 60+ (fps limit). However I've noticed that Wurm's very sensitive for CPU clocks. You can always try to OC your clock a lil bit up and see if that's any help. Thou i really doubt it's your hardware or game problem. Maybe just a RAM slows game a bit, but that's not the case.  Probably you gotta check your drivers/ java/ .Net Framework/ Uninstall Nvidia Experience/. 

In OP I did say my cpu was already OCed

I also said that being a new windows install, absolutely everything is up to date,  using the latest drivers for everything

Java 64 bit version 1.8.0_131

.NET Framework 4.7

nVidia Driver version 382.33

nVidia Experience is uninstalled

BIOS for motherboard, GPU & SSD up to date

if you have a specific idea on what to check please let me know and I will test it out

If it would have been a driver/software problem (besides wurm) wouldnt that have been obvious in any other games? Heck, I even stress tested my system with furmark/prime 95/uniengine - all with drooling-li good results

Edited by Thorakkanath

It does seem to be specific to your setup somehow - I'm running an i7-4770k, 32GB RAM, GTX1060, no SSD, Win7, and I can easily hit 60/30/30 FPS running 3 clients across 3 monitors, with near-max settings.

I think you're running a desktop rather than a laptop, so this is unlikely to make any difference, but something I've run into issues with in the past is using the latest drivers from Nvidia vs using the latest drivers from the machine manufacturer.  This is mainly an issue with multi-GPU machines (discrete + integrated), but try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer rather than from Nvidia (or Intel), as I've found that for a very few applications, Nvidia appear to have left certain things out of their main-line releases.

Edited by Wonka

Just looked at the log you posted and noticed an error.

Mai 31, 2017 2:32:26 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

A quick google search found an answer to solve the error. I don't know if it will fix anything, but doesn't hurt to try.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16428098/groovy-shell-warning-could-not-open-create-prefs-root-node

from what I've seen.. everyone who posts logs have that warning, it's ok..

I have some clue. Was the screen of parameters in OP when PC was idle or in stress?

60C for an Idle GPU is way too high for my taste, your fans didn't even turn up lol. I have GTX 1070 as well, and after 11H of stress tests max Temp was about 68C, when I'm doing nothing on PC my temps on GPU rarely goes over 28C and i have highly OCed card by myself. That's just a tip, but not the case of your problem, because Wurm's all about CPU not GPU at all. 

But if your temperature is too high on GPU, perhaps your CPU when runs on 4.0Ghz lacks stability. Tell me, did you increase your Vcore Voltage for Intel? If so, then tell me what's your actual limit of Vcore, what's average and max you're getting after few hours (cpuz and hwmonitor will show you all the info). And tell me temps of your CPU with all single cores. Perhaps it's not properly OCed. 

That's the only thing about hardware i can point and still i think it's your software problem, that I'm still trying to figure out. 

EDIT: 60C at 17% load is way too high for this GPU. And your fans doesn't even react. Fix it if you want to keep your card alive for a longer time. Use MSI Afterburner to control your fans.

Edited by Alkhadias

17 hours ago, Wonka said:

It does seem to be specific to your setup somehow - I'm running an i7-4770k, 32GB RAM, GTX1060, no SSD, Win7, and I can easily hit 60/30/30 FPS running 3 clients across 3 monitors, with near-max settings.

I think you're running a desktop rather than a laptop, so this is unlikely to make any difference, but something I've run into issues with in the past is using the latest drivers from Nvidia vs using the latest drivers from the machine manufacturer.  This is mainly an issue with multi-GPU machines (discrete + integrated), but try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturer rather than from Nvidia (or Intel), as I've found that for a very few applications, Nvidia appear to have left certain things out of their main-line releases.

Hello, I am indeed running a desktop and not a laptop. :) I am the manufacturer, so it will be a little bit difficult to download other drivers than the official ones. Do mind you, ALL other games/applications tested are performing as expected

59 minutes ago, Alkhadias said:

I have some clue. Was the screen of parameters in OP when PC was idle or in stress?

60C for an Idle GPU is way too high for my taste, your fans didn't even turn up lol. I have GTX 1070 as well, and after 11H of stress tests max Temp was about 68C, when I'm doing nothing on PC my temps on GPU rarely goes over 28C and i have highly OCed card by myself. That's just a tip, but not the case of your problem, because Wurm's all about CPU not GPU at all. 

But if your temperature is too high on GPU, perhaps your CPU when runs on 4.0Ghz lacks stability. Tell me, did you increase your Vcore Voltage for Intel? If so, then tell me what's your actual limit of Vcore, what's average and max you're getting after few hours (cpuz and hwmonitor will show you all the info). And tell me temps of your CPU with all single cores. Perhaps it's not properly OCed. 

That's the only thing about hardware i can point and still i think it's your software problem, that I'm still trying to figure out. 

EDIT: 60C at 17% load is way too high for this GPU. And your fans doesn't even react. Fix it if you want to keep your card alive for a longer time. Use MSI Afterburner to control your fans.

:) 

Thank you for your input, but respectully - my hardware config is not the issue

Those params were while running wurm for ~20 min

55-58c is a normal average idle temp of my gpu (MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X in OC mode) considering I have 4 screens on meaning an avg load of 8-9% of TDP constantly in idle  - you can google it.. On the other hand, not even at 100% utilization for multiple hours it won't pass 73-75c with only 50% fan speed. 

My cpu is super stable at that overclock - 3+ years of proven stability even (after extensive stress tests). I am an efficiency freak (and silent freak), so I actually managed to DECREASE the Vcore by -0.135 V while increasing the core clock to 4.0 GHz, while being rock solid. Max Vcore at 100% load: 1.088V. Everyone can OC, but how many can OC while undervolting :P ? Max temps at 100% utilization for 1h - 73-75c (just like my gpu). Again, waaay normal for the 3770k.

I am building systems for over 20 years, not my first run of the mill. Trust me when I say that my hardware is not the issue...software isn't either if I am looking at how anything else besides wurm performs....

I would look into why wurm/java is not properly using the system resources/where the bottleneck is (as described in the op) rather than finding issues with my hardware

1 hour ago, Thorakkanath said:

:) 

Thank you for your input, but respectully - my hardware config is not the issue

Those params were while running wurm for ~20 min

55-58c is a normal average idle temp of my gpu (MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X in OC mode) considering I have 4 screens on meaning an avg load of 8-9% of TDP constantly in idle  - you can google it.. On the other hand, not even at 100% utilization for multiple hours it won't pass 73-75c with only 50% fan speed. 

My cpu is super stable at that overclock - 3+ years of proven stability even (after extensive stress tests). I am an efficiency freak (and silent freak), so I actually managed to DECREASE the Vcore by -0.135 V while increasing the core clock to 4.0 GHz, while being rock solid. Max Vcore at 100% load: 1.088V. Everyone can OC, but how many can OC while undervolting :P ? Max temps at 100% utilization for 1h - 73-75c (just like my gpu). Again, waaay normal for the 3770k.

I am building systems for over 20 years, not my first run of the mill. Trust me when I say that my hardware is not the issue...software isn't either if I am looking at how anything else besides wurm performs....

I would look into why wurm/java is not properly using the system resources/where the bottleneck is (as described in the op) rather than finding issues with my hardware

Yeah, seems like we share different system building ideology. I set my goals to highest performance/ lowest temperatures. And if my customers want silent systems I'm just projecting and building custom cases and Liguid cooling. But for myself noise isn't that important/ annoying so I'm running my own system without LC, just on 8 fans: 2x 180mm, 2x. 140mm and 4x 120mm + Spartan pro 3 CPU cooler. Most isn't even attenuated specially, thou in custom tempered glass case it's pretty silent imo. To me lower temperature is most important, that's why I'm trying to keep idle system at 25-30C max, and stress not more than 58C with 4K and average 1.260VC (1.350 is my limit, still way to safe limit which for intels is about 1.45,on which i bet I could push up to 5.0Ghz ). And I also think that it's not your hardware fault. (Just your RAM seems meh to me according to rest of your gear.) But if you run your CPU on lower VC which is good idea (intel CPU aren't barbarian like AMD grills) then I'll try to think of a software reasons, because i'm still pretty sure that's the case of your troubles. I highly doubt that it could be game fault. Thou you can shoot us your settings, maybe there's something strange in Wurm's settings. 

Did you try to reinstal Motherboard/ CPU drivers? And older version of Nvidia drivers? With uninstalling previous ones? I bet you did. And i bet that problem lays in simple software reason, that simple that we can't even figure it.

Your experiences are different because Wurm's performance varies a lot between situations in game (items on ground, light sources, particles, amount of trees around).

I doubt that it's an issue with Thorakkanath's system, either hardware or software. Though to fully rule that out you might want to run it on a clean system, maybe boot a live USB Linux, try on that?

We're aware of why both the fps drops and stutters are happening and we are actively working on optimizing the unstable client, it's nothing we can quickly fix but you should see slight improvements in every clients update. For now, just drop your graphics settings down if it's that unplayable for you.

• Like 2

on the stable I get now fps between 15 and 80 at nighttime - depending on where I look and if I'm underground or on the surface.

It is a Commodore64 I play on compared to your rig. Did you try the game booting Ubuntu? Just to rule out something Windows/Java related.

On 6/8/2017 at 11:30 AM, Alkhadias said:

Yeah, seems like we share different system building ideology. I set my goals to highest performance/ lowest temperatures. And if my customers want silent systems I'm just projecting and building custom cases and Liguid cooling. But for myself noise isn't that important/ annoying so I'm running my own system without LC, just on 8 fans: 2x 180mm, 2x. 140mm and 4x 120mm + Spartan pro 3 CPU cooler. Most isn't even attenuated specially, thou in custom tempered glass case it's pretty silent imo. To me lower temperature is most important, that's why I'm trying to keep idle system at 25-30C max, and stress not more than 58C with 4K and average 1.260VC (1.350 is my limit, still way to safe limit which for intels is about 1.45,on which i bet I could push up to 5.0Ghz ). And I also think that it's not your hardware fault. (Just your RAM seems meh to me according to rest of your gear.) But if you run your CPU on lower VC which is good idea (intel CPU aren't barbarian like AMD grills) then I'll try to think of a software reasons, because i'm still pretty sure that's the case of your troubles. I highly doubt that it could be game fault. Thou you can shoot us your settings, maybe there's something strange in Wurm's settings. 

Did you try to reinstal Motherboard/ CPU drivers? And older version of Nvidia drivers? With uninstalling previous ones? I bet you did. And i bet that problem lays in simple software reason, that simple that we can't even figure it.

I did all that and I also hope that is something simple. is laughable how terrible the performance is...

On 6/8/2017 at 8:55 PM, Samool said:

Your experiences are different because Wurm's performance varies a lot between situations in game (items on ground, light sources, particles, amount of trees around).

I doubt that it's an issue with Thorakkanath's system, either hardware or software. Though to fully rule that out you might want to run it on a clean system, maybe boot a live USB Linux, try on that?

We're aware of why both the fps drops and stutters are happening and we are actively working on optimizing the unstable client, it's nothing we can quickly fix but you should see slight improvements in every clients update. For now, just drop your graphics settings down if it's that unplayable for you.

Unfortunately Samool, that is like saying that having a lot of tabs open in chrome will eventually slow the system down. Sure it will, but everyone knows that - it does not take a developer to reach that conclusion.

Of course, my focus is to make my game run fast, as it should be according to my hardware. But that is a very general issue to ask a developer.

I would be interested to know what makes for example Reylaarks system, that is in almost all ways slower than mine (with the exception of RAM), run at 115 fps at almost double the resolution with the exact same settings. His game is just as optimized, or as unoptimized as mine is, so considering the hardware is slower, almost twice the resolution, and using the same software - where is the problem? That is a question for a developer

I already shared my willingness to let a dev have a look in my system.

This is a clean system, I just reinstalled windows - and I would be happy to test usb linux, but I have no clue how to run linux.....

On 6/8/2017 at 9:46 PM, Jaz said:

on the stable I get now fps between 15 and 80 at nighttime - depending on where I look and if I'm underground or on the surface.

It is a Commodore64 I play on compared to your rig. Did you try the game booting Ubuntu? Just to rule out something Windows/Java related.

I'd love to try but i cannot, as I have no clue on how to operate, much less install linux.....

4 hours ago, Thorakkanath said:

I'd love to try but i cannot, as I have no clue on how to operate, much less install linux.....

Ubuntu is as easy as it gets. Very intuitive and not any harder to use/install then windows + there are "live usbs"

On 6/12/2017 at 6:43 PM, permo said:

Ubuntu is as easy as it gets. Very intuitive and not any harder to use/install then windows + there are "live usbs"

I spent 3 hours trying to get wurm to work under 'as easy as it gets' ubuntu

I googled without even knowing what to search

I inputted some commands I have no clue what were doing

The thing was erroring out every 5 minutes

I finally got wurm to work and got an amazing 1 fps

Then I installed the GTX 1070 drivers and wurm would crash - something with GPX 13 no config or something

And then basically lost all because it didnt want to start again unless I shut down and restarted and lost the java and the wurm download

I downloaded the wurm packs 6 times.

Heck I couldnt even get my screens to be in the correct order without the system crashing..and reverting back to the crap settings

Sorry, but NOTHING is intuitive about it if you know NOTHING about it

Please stay on the windows topic

Edited by Thorakkanath

On 6/12/2017 at 2:28 PM, Thorakkanath said:

Unfortunately Samool, that is like saying that having a lot of tabs open in chrome will eventually slow the system down. Sure it will, but everyone knows that - it does not take a developer to reach that conclusion.

I realize that it may be obvious to some (mind you, not all), I'm just helping explain why everyone in this topic gets so different performance in the game.

On 6/12/2017 at 2:28 PM, Thorakkanath said:

I would be interested to know what makes for example Reylaarks system, that is in almost all ways slower than mine (with the exception of RAM), run at 115 fps at almost double the resolution with the exact same settings. His game is just as optimized, or as unoptimized as mine is, so considering the hardware is slower, almost twice the resolution, and using the same software - where is the problem? That is a question for a developer

Now, I'm 99% positive that this is answered by the same thing I explained. On my deed on Celebration, on highest settings of unstable client, I get 15fps. On spawn area of the test server, at the exact same settings, my client stays over 100fps at all times. Different places, different experiences.

For comparation purposes, jump on the PvE test server and post here what fps do you get on the spawn area with the same settings that your client struggles with in normal situations.

Ya Java sucks!

The biggest graphic change that I notice is enable/disable shadows.  I have 4 different graphic profiles and the 2 I bounce between the most is only a change of the shadows.  Lighting and shadows are the biggest thing to mess with FPS in any game.

Graphics - Shadows: Disabled

Advanced Graphics - Terrain/shadow resoluion: Low

I have skylake i7, Samsung M.2 SSD, Nvidia 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4 Ram.  Can run GTA5 Extreme graphics no issue.  I play Wurm online with shadows and my PC wants to die.

Just posting my experience as hopefully it helps for you.

Like when at a public slaying or a rift you have to tell everyone to turn off their personal lights.  After everyone does that FPS goes way up.

I love the shadows in unstable client and I will turn them on because it looks a lot better, but if going somewhere I know a lot of people or a large deed I'll relog and use profile without shadows.

Edited by nicedreams

16 hours ago, Samool said:

I realize that it may be obvious to some (mind you, not all), I'm just helping explain why everyone in this topic gets so different performance in the game.

Now, I'm 99% positive that this is answered by the same thing I explained. On my deed on Celebration, on highest settings of unstable client, I get 15fps. On spawn area of the test server, at the exact same settings, my client stays over 100fps at all times. Different places, different experiences.

For comparation purposes, jump on the PvE test server and post here what fps do you get on the spawn area with the same settings that your client struggles with in normal situations.

Thank you, that I can test

The lowest fps I am getting is 43 in this exact spot, looking exactly west, 2 tiles to the east of the token. Moving my view in any other direction will yield in a higher fps. Average for this area is 60, going to 70s-80s or even 90s in the cave that you can see in the screenshot. Overall still a very bad fps for basically nothing around

Spoiler

test_fps.jpg

On 6/4/2017 at 1:10 PM, Samool said:

That's an error in display, it actually is 1-2-3-4-8 threads. Will be fixed next client update.

The difference in fps during day and night is normal, lamps turn on at night, and lighting slows the game down.

A remedy for this is the max dynamic lights setting in unstable client.

There are 6-core cpus though, would it be a viable option to add that to the launcher and/or game?

12 hours ago, Thorakkanath said:

Thank you, that I can test

The lowest fps I am getting is 43 in this exact spot, looking exactly west, 2 tiles to the east of the token. Moving my view in any other direction will yield in a higher fps. Average for this area is 60, going to 70s-80s or even 90s in the cave that you can see in the screenshot. Overall still a very bad fps for basically nothing around

Reveal hidden contents

test_fps.jpg

I get 55 fps on that same location, 60 - 80 fps if I turn looking in other directions. Inside that cave 150 - 190 fps. I'm using the same settings I posted earlier in this thread. Booted into Windows 8.1 atm. Could it be that Windows 7 isn't playing nicely with Java games? What OS are the other guys using that posted in this thread?