Sign in to follow this  
Arkonick

Pottery Brick making the right way

Making bricks can be a long boring process that can turn many people away from WO or WU who play with out gm powers. So why not evolve wurm a bit in the art of making bricks.

Instead of making a single brick at a time industrialize it a bit by making brick molds. example

make brick mold then fill brick mold with x amount kg of clay then but mold in kiln till hardened. mold produces 6 to 12 bricks based on how much kg of clay is allowed in the mold maybe the mold has 8 or 10 slots so you use that much clay to fill the mold.

stone bricks should remain the way they are now cause they have to be chipped into brick but clay can and should use a mold system.

Edited by Arkonick
  • Like 4

Other than low punching the people selling bricks... no reason not to;

bottom line.. tho.. bricks are 1 of the easiest ways to make coins, and it's that way because it's a pain to make them.

People pay others because it's a bore to create them, while somebody with hq/woa chisel or pottery skill and clay at hand. could make a ton and wont mind getting paid for it's skill

• Like 1

problem is because everyone treats wurm as a money grab it is boring and a turn off. Example 121 action timers to make a single pottery wall is such a boring task.

dig 10 scoops of clay = 10 actions, dig a scoop of sand = 1 action, turn to 20 mortar = 20 actions, pottery brick dig clay use hand to make brick then fire it in kiln ech brick weighs 5kg each clay weighs 2kg, takes 5 clay digs to make 2 bricks, so 50 clay actions then 20 brick actions = 70 actions then add to kiln fire. Now make wall another 20 actions totaling 121 actions. Not everyone wants to burn threw there wallet so they don't have to make a item in a game. Millions are not lazy and prefier to do it them selves and they get super board when to accomplish a single wall it take x amount of time and 121 actions.

Who does it hurt stream lining and evolving wurm oh yea i'm sorry your chance to make a buck and strip the fun out of a game. And people want to know why WU took so many people away from WO.

• Like 6

What should be done instead is make pottery bricks/walls less tedious than now.

Stone bricks are fine as they are, for above reasons by Finnn.

• Like 1

This is me an a million players with our wallets in real world money trade

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arkonick said:

This is me an a million players with our wallets in real world money trade

Sounds like a true rmt meme +1

Another reason to be such a overkill... is a way to make it special and hard to make *shrugs*, how else do you show your creation to somebody and make them.. Wow face back?:o

I admit that it's frustrating.. most to all mechanics are tedious, but that's also what some people like.. to spend some time on something and feel accomplished once it's done.. something that other wont bother doing because it takes time, money or both.

------------

While pottery bricks aren't that much used or bulk stored somewhere... it's possible to just change them to be easier to make a pile, close to the amount of actions it takes to make stonebricks, etc...

Just out of clarification, you're effectively suggesting making pottery bricks using a mould instead of using a hand? 

seems reasonable. even primitive brick makers used molds for production. we have far more complex machinery now, like the loom. 

mold should be able to handle 10-20 bricks at once.

Edited by Wurmhole

yea molds should be introduced now use planks and nails to make pottery brick molds which can be used now to fill with clay then kilned into finished bricks later down the road these type of molds could include better smithing needs like iron bars from liquid metal. maybe liquefying metals to make harder metals then made into bars etc.... for stronger better armors/metal doors etc...

But for starters clay needs molds which can make several pottery bricks at a time. Hard stone brick types shouldn't be changed but bricks like clay need to have molds. Later if the need to make cement bricks come of age you can have the mold setup already there. Cement poured floors etc...

Basically the mold can help increase the number of bricks helping take away from all the extra timers caused by the amount of clay one has to dig to make a single brick. It would even it along side stone type bricks.

I come by this cause right now i have timers set to 7x on my server in wu and it is taking a long time to process all the bricks and I couldn't imagine the agony it would cause on ones nerves on WO where timers are default what 1x?

You want to encourage players to build not drive them insane and away. Encouraging bigger structures by players would be the direction you want to go not by making it so intense they only make small buildings then give up. Only a select few have the time or patients to set down and mass produce the amount of materials needed to build mass structures. easing up on some of this will encourage others to not be warded off from doing the same.

In the future just lowering the brick and mortar amount by 5 so it only taking 15 brick and mortar for stone walls would be encouraging others to build bigger.

Mortar for example you should make it so you add x amount of clay to a large barrel then x amount of sand then click on barrel and select mix. Then you take the amount of time it would originally take to make all that mortar and shave 10% off it and it now is a 1 timer count. You've shortened the time saved a bunch of clicks created a illusion of realism and really not destroyed the effect or process just changed it a bit, it kinda is like the timer  when planning a bridge instead it is a mixing process.

Me and budda talked in WU channel one day about windmills and such actually fitting wurm now. I would even go as in the future some type of wind powered windmill not only for grain grinding but ability to hook up a barrel with rigs that will auto mix mortar or churn milk into butter etc... but this is just ideas that can fit all snug together over a stretch time of development.

Pottery bricks just take way more time to make and deal with than any other brick and pottery brick walls are very nice walls and should be encouraged to make in WO and WU.

• Like 1

It is a pile of work to make clay bricks, seems that way anyhow, I would just prefer the idea of a mold that produces 6-12 at a time. Maybe because my pottery skill is low it seems tedious, I can chip out regular bricks all day long but the pottery ones, bleh.

+1

Make a brick machine mod, problem solved. As much as I want automation on WO people would probably freak out.

However if you're suggesting a mould based item, that would be worth adding, maybe 12 clay bricks per mould. Could use one for shingles also.

I want some of these added eventually:

Edited by Niki

Ignore this post. leaving it here to keep ccd's post relevant.

-1 stone brick.
it's fine as it is, just load a wagon with rafts, load the rafts with rock shards.
drag and drop, combine, queue.. mindlessly on a 2nd monitor until you make 1k and feel sick.
i don't see the problem.
pottery bricks on the other hand... eww.
we've already suggested a pottery glove you can enchant and wear, you can't enchant your hand. but nothing came of it yet.
Imagine how many pottery bricks you'd have to make to make a bridge and how long it'd take. 
anyway, stone bricks are fine, if they were easier to make, things made out of them would seem less. .. well, just less. 
please leave stone bricks as they are, they're easy.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

So much clay to make the pottery bricks, forgot about the digging for those as well, and if you want good bricks can't really use the skiller shovel on the clay either.

1 hour ago, Steveleeb said:

-snip-

Although not stated in the title, I feel its fairly obvious that he's talking about only pottery bricks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cccdfern said:

Although not stated in the title, I feel its fairly obvious that he's talking about only pottery bricks.

Changed title to be more specific on what I'm talking about. Thanks for pointing that out ccdfern.

damn. my apologies. 
+1

Edited by Steveleeb

4 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

So much clay to make the pottery bricks, forgot about the digging for those as well, and if you want good bricks can't really use the skiller shovel on the clay either.

Why do you need good ql bricks? I made 50ql walls out of 10ql materials.

4 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

Imagine how many pottery bricks you'd have to make to make a bridge and how long it'd take. 
anyway, stone bricks are fine, if they were easier to make, things made out of them would seem less. .. well, just less.

The amount of pottery bricks you'd have to make to make a bridge would be the same amount it would take to make a stone one. pottery bricks are as easy to create as stone bricks (without enchants), gathering the materials is difficult .-.

5 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

Why do you need good ql bricks? I made 50ql walls out of 10ql materials.

When making house walls, system use your masonry skill, so you can make good walls even from low ql bricks.

When making fences, quality of the material counts greatly towards quality of the fence.

• Like 1

Yeah if a fence is going off deed or the building for that matter you do not want to use 10ql materials. ^_^

If your building was on chaos you really never want to use 10 ql bricks for anything other than paving!

+1

Even if we had a new item in game like the kiln specifically for making pottery bricks.

I've been renovating using pottery bricks lately, whereas others have told me it seems too labor intensive, so I can understand, but my primary concern would be the slippery slope effect of doing something like this though.

There have been suggestions for saw mills (for example) and other ways to quicken things up.

We can take it on a case by case basis, of course, but it seems to me choosing one shortcut while denying another would be kind of subjective.

For example, not stone bricks because they're chipped... but yet one mold spits out 20 bricks.  Doable, but consider whether or not you'd be willing to carry this forward to materials important to other people as well.

Just curious, get skill gain for 1 brick, or 20?

No preference otherwise.

The mold should be destroyed while firing the bricks. It balances back the needed labor and still would make the brickmaking less tedious, I would surely make a mold if it is created from a few planks for every 20 bricks...

Use saw on plank to create mold sections. Use small nails on sections to create mold.  If it creates a mold for 10, it is close to breaking even. Considering you have to mine, then smith nails, chop trees, make logs, make planks.  Maybe bump to 16 or 20 bricks for the mold.